What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and thank you to all you good folk for support, understanding and reassuring words they are very much appreciated.

A 5.7 for me today after a 6.7 on getting to sleep in the early hours.

Another hospital day and I shall be taking a leaf out of @gennepher book and take some cheese, nuts and chocolate today, especially as I have lost another 3lbs.

I wish you all the finest day available.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frustrating! I have spent the last 4 days hanging around in a large West Midlands Hospital, killing time people watching in two cafes, waiting areas and corridors by vending machines. The only food suitable for me to eat at any cafe was a gammon ham salad and only one of them, when that had gone that was it, but it did not look appetising.

For something to do I have sat and analysed the eating habits of visitors, nurses, doctors and admin staff, is this something us LCHF diet Type 2s do? I watched Cakes, white bread toasties, pasties, pies, disappear in alarming quantities, whilst the prepared salads do not get purchased and other than the gammon salad all the others involved pasta, cuscus, rice or potatoes.

Then hopefully without being judgmental, remember I was over 100 Kilo a few months back and would have eat such things, I started looking at the weight of people. Over 80% of female nursing staff would be obese and more than 50% of these grossly obese, male staff figured better. Male visitors were about 50% obese and whilst there were more obese female visitors they were less obese than nursing staff.
You can see I have been extremely bored and yes this was not a very scientific study, purely observation, but it is certainly food for thought, pardon the pun, could there be a relationship between the food available in the hospital cafes and the shape of hospital staff?

I shall send an email pointing out the lack of suitable food available for Type 2s on a LCHF diet at this hospital, it will be polite but to the point.

On the MIL front it's a nightmare, she was 93 Tuesday. A scan shows MIL has a bleed on the brain probably from a fall she had two weeks back when Paramedics came and treated her at home. Sadly she's been unresponsive since Saturday and palliative care was offered as from yesterday, with MILs sever Alzheimer's and the unknown effects of the brain bleed this seems the kindest course of action. Today she is back on a glucose and saline drip, still unresponsive but much stronger. Consultant says she will not be put on palliative care until they assess her on Thursday. This is where it gets difficult and worrying, we want the best outcome for MIL and understand the consultants Duty of Care but in our minds rightly or wrongly questions are formed.

A. Would it be kinder for an old lady already living a confused and often unhappy life, who if she recovers will have an unknown mental health and physical state be allowed to go and meet he maker with dignity and peacefulness.
Or
B. Should all the medical help available be given to bring her back to responsiveness which will undoubtably leave her in a much worse mental state and the need for moving into a nursing home out of the comfort of her own bungalow where she lived before hospitalisation?

As a society we are still not very good with this end of life stuff and many families go through this turmoil day after day, no easy answers.
Sad isn’t it sometimes, when you want to eat out and the food choices in hospitals is not great. At our nearest hospital we have the restaurant - no, Costa - no, Lavazza - no, M&S food - almost no and the Hospital Voluntary Services place - very nearly yes, but only part of the time - their breakfast is very good.

Difficult choices for end of life. My MIL now has a DNR in place and everyone who need to know has been told.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 5.7 this morning and a day hiding from the weather. Ran out early to rescue the emptied bin from sailing off down the hill. Stay safe out there :)

5.3 have just been reading about the possibility of metforming causing cancer any oen else read this on the internet?

I wouldn't worry too much, it may be a bad news day for the Sun. NDMAs exist in many things and require a high dosage to cause issues. Here's a link to a medical trial showing the benefits of Metformin in cancer trials.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/intervention/metformin-hydrochloride

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...wow what a busy busy couple of days...its amazing how our fortunes & lives can turn around in the blink of an eye...thoughts go out to all @Muddy Cyclist @Debandez @PenguinMum and all our other ' chatterers' 'needing a hug & support...woke up at 04:30 then straight back to bed slept further until 07:30 needed it...the kittens are in full flight upstairs I can hear them thundering around...little Lola seems to be firmly in charge...great appetites...great energy so good to see them happy/content after such a bad start...I have a charming video of them with the ball chaser but no idea how to upload it here...I'll have another try later...for now another photo...woke to a 6.5

Lola 1.jpg
Lola 1.jpg Charlie 1.JPG

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Charlie & Lola have arrived home...the first photo of their tenure with us...still in the basket so not a brilliant one but as I'm typing I can hear them bounding around in 'their room' more to follow as & when thy settle in Charlie was busy chewing the toy catnip mouse I put in with them for the journey home & wasnt interested in posing for the camers

View attachment 37121
Very cute :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 for me this morning after about 2hrs sleep. Cold still making me feel rough and now it’s got to the hacking cough stage so sleep very difficult.
Lots of food for thought here this morning
@Debandez your letter was set at just the right tone. So many people are just not connecting to dots. My daughter worked a placement on a secure unit adult mental health ward recently. She said every single one of the patients was diabetic yet none of them had been on admission. Years of hospital food had done this to them.
@PenguinMum good fbg today and safe journey. I’m the same, hate driving out of my area.
@HarryBeau Charlie and Lola look like bundles of fun, looking forward to more photos.
@Muddy Cyclist you and your wife have a harrowing time ahead, you’re right, as a society we aren’t very good at the end of life stuff which is a tragedy. There was a campaign recently ‘We Need To Talk About Death’ and we really do.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a society we are still not very good with this end of life stuff and many families go through this turmoil day after day, no easy answers.
So sorry that your MIL is so ill. It is so sad when you think of how different the end of life care is for our animals. We would be prosecuted for cruelty if we treated our animals the same way as we treated humans at end of life - trying to prolong life when there is no quality of life left.

Reactions: dunelm

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Charlie and Lola look like bundles of fun, looking forward to more photos.
So sorry about the lack of sleep DJC that's one of the things I find most difficult to handle...hopefully you can get a short power nap later today?...yes they are great fun but I'd forgotten the hard work even with teeny tiny kittens...considering they were only spayed/neutered on Monday I thought they'd take things easy for the first few days...not a bit of it!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed my comments up with an email:

Just a quick email to say thank you for today. It was very enjoyable. I especially loved hearing the children sing. Goosebumps. Next generation.

Thank you for putting on refreshments however i was extremely disappointed to see a table completely filled with all sorts of cakes. This makes me so sad. I'm a type 2 diabetic and could not have had anything from the table due to it causing severe spikes with my blood sugars (it's the spikes that cause the complications so I'm keen to avoid). We have obesity and diabetes epidemics. I am giving talks all over the North West of how we can control blood sugars and reverse diabetes and I would love to be able to say how the CCGs from Blackpool Fylde and Wyre are proactive in their approach.

Some ideas for a healthier table:

Cheese selection
Olives
Fruit
Slices of ham/salami
Celery/carrots and dips
Small pots of Greek yoghurt
Strawberries and cream
Small bars of 85% chocolate (Aldi I find best value and really lovely)

I hope you see this as constructive criticism.

If I say nothing nothing will change.

Thanks again for the lovely event you put on.

Debra Scott
That is a brilliant e-mail. I wonder how they will reply to it.

Reactions: Debandez

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist huge sympathy for the dilemma over MIL. I don't think there is a generic answer to that problem just families making their own answers at very stressful times. Personally, I will be forever grateful to my mum who medical profession believe saved me that problem. The hospital food issues as a patient and visitor was as bad or worse than the health issues foe me in August. Addenbrookes in Cambridge has an very good food court and M and S. but I was redirected to Peterborough - appaling. @karen8967 hope the pump fitting and usage process goes well and is helpful. @PenguinMum safe journey and such a kind thing to do. @DJC3 hug for the lack of sleep and changing/deteriorating symptoms. If I wish to believe it the numbers on my meter indicate 5.1 for my fbg - yeah, right. Have a good day.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a very exciting bin day in the dark and dangerous north - “where’s you wheely bin?”

The wonder wheel of number one granddaughter staying over and sous vide steaks came in at 5.3 this am.

Queueing up at the post office this morning - not the one in town - you have to take your own bed and food when queueing in that one. luckily there is still a surviving local one about half a mile away run by Tubbs and Edward for local people. Thankfully, we are classed as local.

Today is the last day of freeeeedom! - well, potentially, and of course depending upon your point of view. I wonder what splutterings and last minute gasps of fantasy will be flung upon the dung heap of misdirection today (the biggest dung heap since records began shortly after the deluge). We have to rush to the supermarket today to stock up on those essential things that may very soon be in short supply such as satsumas, wine, Comte, confit duck and the basic ingredients for a **** good splif (or in old money, reefers). Fill up your cars - take jerry cans also - cause some panic by fighting in the frozen veg isles.

Have a great day if you can, thoughts for those in pain and mental anguish. Best make koffy.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a 6.2 a tad stressy last night, might have been the cause...so acceptable.

@Muddy Cyclist

sympathies for having to make such choices
and i know you;ll have faced that with the Cold Hard reality
of how it MIGHT play out either way

and i think @gennepher , has penned this far more eloquently then i could

You have to believe whatever course of action you decide to take is right, because you will have done a lot of soul searching and questions.

You'll be very aware of the character of the MiL, and maybe that might be an indicator of what her wishes might be in an given scenario.

Without wishing to distract, If it had been my mum..i'd have let her drift away.
No question.

To have the original ailment and then to be told the impairment would be worse if they could resuscitate,
(age + health + balance of mind )
would have made that decision easier.

May god forgive me, but the severity of mums abilities to interact, had me praying many
nights for a quiet end to her suffering.

I think a deeper thoughts of what your MiL's equality of life would be like after, may make the final decision one you could more easily bear, whichever choice you make.

The wisdom of Solomon's required i fear, but a choice must be made sadly.

Warmest hugs and sympathies to your wife and you.
I pray you find the strength to make the right choice for your MiL

Reactions: karen8967

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I'm 5.7 this morning and a day hiding from the weather. Ran out early to rescue the emptied bin from sailing off down the hill. Stay safe out there :)

Sorry but I read your post as I'm 5' 7" and started thinking why is he telling us how tall he is.
Nice to read about your wayward bins, perhaps you will need to pamper them on national bin days

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@DJC3 We too have toasty warm room with woodburner and everywhere else, except bathroom, is freezing.
@PenguinMum The satellite tv is working, but no connection to web is currently possible. We use mobile router, in case you were wondering.
11-12-19
Very disturbed night. Woke half a dozen times before 2am then got up around 3. Back to bed just before 5, then woke again 6.30ish, got up and did BG,
Didn't want to cook so had some chunks of cheese. Then realised how early it was and went back to bed.
We have a wind damaged shed too, slightly larger, but can't remember how to post pic.
Wishing you all the strength to get through the day.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3