I’m impatient.... Your experience early mornings?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
OK, I’m wanting to get some support via your experience on just how long it took you of a morning to get to less than, say, 6.5 and hover there?

After getting an HbA1c of 89 in September 2019 then coming to this great Forum, and going FHLC and having achieved a 64 on my HbA1c, I’m now kinda stuck at around 7.5 to 8.5 of an early morning fasting A1c. Is September to now still too early to expect better? Am I asking too much of myself? Getting feedback would be really neat.

E

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I’m wanting to get some support via your experience on just how long it took you of a morning to get to less than, say, 6.5 and hover there?

After getting an HbA1c of 89 in September 2019 then coming to this great Forum, and going FHLC and having achieved a 64 on my HbA1c, I’m now kinda stuck at around 7.5 to 8.5 of an early morning fasting A1c. Is September to now still too early to expect better? Am I asking too much of myself? Getting feedback would be really neat.

E
You might want to give it a year. Fasting is the last to come down, after all... And that can take a good long while.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i got my f.b.s down to the mid 5s from a 15.0 in about three months (march -june 2017). lost about 25 kilos in that time vagely following dr.mosleys blood sugar diet..( hbiac down from 112- 36) hovers about the early sixes these days but i test after work and before evening meal ...between 4.9 and 5.5...

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You might want to give it a year
Uh-huh . . . So, Sept'19 till today, Dec'19 is early days still?

Fasting is the last to come down, after all...
What does your "after all.. " imply?

i got my f.b.s down to the mid 5s from a 15.0 in about three months
Wow! That's terrific.

So, a kind of split decision? A year or 3 months? 3 months in and I can't stabilze under 6?!? It's like corralling snakes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's like corralling snakes.

I'm afraid that's exactly what's its like as our bodies are all different.
I'd hazard a guess that at this early stage your body is still dumping the excess sugar that it had built up over the however many years it took for your T2 to develop. Once that has gone then your bloods will drop.

In my own case it was about 6 months after starting intermittent fasting (no breakfast ever) and an ultra low carb diet.

GGPFC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine has come down after 3.5 months of low carb but we are all different and respond in our own time to change in diet, best advice I can give is to stick at it!

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

E
I have been LCHF for over two years with HBA1C down from 66 to 44, but fasting BG anything from 7.5 to 8.5. I was diagnosed type 2 twelve years ago BMI 22 so never overweight. My daily carb intake is 20 - 50 gms max. So as you can tell it is taking ages for FBG's to go down.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd hazard a guess that at this early stage your body is still dumping the excess sugar ......Once that has gone then your bloods will drop.
Sure. I just need to accept this and also take heart in that I initially had a nurse's intervention sample taken that was 18!
Mine has come down after 3.5 months . . . we are all different and respond in our own time to change in diet, best advice I can give is to stick at it!

It would appear so. We should ALL be exactly the same! :borg: - And yes, I'll stick to it. Taking 5 or 6 drops of blood a day is getting tedious. However, doing this HAS identified, I think, those foods and amounts that may be Spiking me.

I have been LCHF for over two years with HBA1C down from 66 to 44, but fasting BG anything from 7.5 to 8.5. I was diagnosed type 2 twelve years ago BMI 22 so never overweight. My daily carb intake is 20 - 50 gms max. So as you can tell it is taking ages for FBG's to go down.

Righto. Mine has come down from 89 to 64 in just 3 months which appears much faster than yours. But now my fasting BG is also too between 7.5 to 8.5. So I'd think in that respect I'm similar.

From all your tremendous support in giving me your time, I take this:

1/- We are all different

2/- How long this takes isn't detrimental - or is it?

3/- I am making a difference that is similar to others here.

4/- From September to now, December is early.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We really are all different.

6 (?) years of keto, and 2 years of carnivore, and my fasting blood glucose can still be anywhere from 6 up to 8+mmol/l
Often the highest reading of the day.
As far as I can tell, this is due to the morning adrenalin and cortisol (stress hormones) that the body produces to kick start the day.
For me, it is apparently unrelated to blood glucose control during the previous day, or food choices the night before. Nor due to glucose stored in the liver.
Irritating, but after 6 years I just have to accept it.

I would suggest that you focus on the things you CAN control, like diet, medication (if you have any) and just observe your fasting and record it. There will be day to day fluctuations, and some peoples readings drift gently downwards over time, while others' readings hop down in steps over weeks or months. Mine bounce about like they are having a party. Hey ho.

Reactions: DJC3 and Auto E

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found my fasting readings in the morning never consistently got below 7. and were usually between 7 and 9. I tested at night and got reading in the 5's so was puzzled what was happening in my sleep. Fortunately my DN told me that when you wake in the morning some people get an adrenaline rush which raises your blood sugar. To test this, instead of taking a reading after I had showered and shaved, I tested immediately on waking. I now get readings in the 6's

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every one is different. Mine came down quite quickly from mornings of 13+

I think i may have been (we will see long term) lucky that i was able to tackle an issue of insulin resistance more then insulin production. I have hit hard my weight and massively increased exercise to increase my metabolism.

I have made huge changes to diet but not to the removal of all carbs, so my body seems to be able to process glucose effectively now (upto a point).

I think if you are controlled via keto diet and not eating any carbs, then your morning numbers take a long time to come down. If you are lucky enough to be able to control through weight loss and exercise with diet it may well come down quicker.

I suspect exercise and activity have a similar use as fasting some people do. it forces your body to empty its cells of glucose to fuel your body which means they are more receptive to being topped up later.

Reactions: Auto E

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

E
Hi Estragon,
I've been diagnosed 6 years now with a HBA1c of 45 or less for the last 5 years. LCHF for about 3 years.
My fasting readings are still all over the place, It can range from 5.1 to 8.5 for no discernable reason and I have tried everything I can think of to lower it but my body is having none of it. I've decided that I will just have to put up with it. The good thing for me is that from lunchtime onwards my reading are mostly in the non diabetic range.
As others have said your fasting level may reduce over time but if it doesn't just aim to lower HBA1c and not worry about it.
Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry to much about morning fasting readings due to the overnight liver dump. Be influenced more by your 2 hour post meal readings

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find my fasting level is linked to what I've eaten in the days before.

So the better I've controlled my food intake, the lower my fasting level gets.

Obviously the reverse is also true. If I eat too much ****, my fasting level goes up.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My fasting readings are still all over the place, It can range from 5.1 to 8.5 for no discernable reason and I have tried everything I can think of to lower it but my body is having none of it.
As long as you don't have any Diab related issues, Kidney, Pancreas, neuropathy etc . . . However, I like your pragmatism.

I've decided that I will just have to put up with it.

Pragmatism Revisited! ;)

As others have said your fasting level may reduce over time but if it doesn't just aim to lower HBA1c and not worry about it.

Wilco! And Pete, thanks for taking time out to respond - means a lot to me.

Be influenced more by your 2 hour post meal readings

Yup, this is what I've come around to too. TU!

I find my fasting level is linked to what I've eaten in the days before.
AH right. So that far back. Got an example? If not no worries.

Reactions: pete254

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi again @Estragon back from work ..5.8..5.9 this morning weight 95.3 kgs lowest ive been for twenty years..my diet during the week is more keto /lchf which i find easy enough its a forever lifestile and i do bang on about it a bit .similar as some ex smokers do! ...i am now beginning to accept the higher morning figures as liver dump as @Daibell said above..i tend to let it go at the weekends a bit and i find lower fbs some times after a few beers or wine as the liver is dealing with the alcohol...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Way back I read the memoirs of a Roman general who advised picking one's battles.
I have never tested my levels on waking. At first I did before and after eating, then only after and finally only when I wanted to check that all was well. I could act on those numbers by altering what I ate.

D

Deleted member 308541

Less than six months when I started using Metformin to get into the lower 6 mmol/l level and into the mid range 5 mmol/l reading.

I am in the high 5 mmol/l readings now I have stopped taking Metformin.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think “we’re all different” is an understatement given this thread. My fasting dropped like a stone with a week of dietary and exercise changes 2 years ago after diagnosis. If I’m over 5.5 now it’s a sure sign of a nasty cold about to hit.

anyway, any possibility of getting a Freestyle Libre sensor or 2? It would help you determine if it’s dawn phenomenon a.k.a a “liver dump”, or if you are higher all night. The former wouldn’t bother me so much. The latter certainly might.