New to this forum but not type 2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
.Just have satsuma, porridge, sandwich, bread x2 slices, rye cracker. breadcrumbs, loads of veg , potatoes or mash. whole meal French stick. I do have the odd apple. I love rice, but again limit this to whole grain, but not much or often.
I have just gone through your description of what you eat, and deleted all but the higher carb foods.
The high carb foods I eat are listed below.

Kaza7

I have just gone through your description of what you eat, and deleted all but the higher carb foods.
The high carb foods I eat are listed below.

Can’t see anything?
I have tried low carbs and it worked for 4 years with exercise but haven’t really changed much yet I’m struggling to get any lower than a Hba1c of 59. I can see the benefit and have done for 4 years. However you need to maintain a healthy weight and this is where I’m struggling. I eat other foods such as cheese, nuts, have cinnamon, but not cream ads I don’t drink tea or coffee or any hot drinks. What else apart from meat, fish and veg can I eat to keep blood sugar down, cholesterol healthy level( which mine isn’t) and not feel hungry all the time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t see anything?
I have tried low carbs and it worked for 4 years with exercise but haven’t really changed much yet I’m struggling to get any lower than a Hba1c of 59. I can see the benefit and have done for 4 years. However you need to maintain a healthy weight and this is where I’m struggling. I eat other foods such as cheese, nuts, have cinnamon, but not cream ads I don’t drink tea or coffee or any hot drinks. What else apart from meat, fish and veg can I eat to keep blood sugar down, cholesterol healthy level( which mine isn’t) and not feel hungry all the time.

Check out all the delicious foods and menus on www.dietdoctor.com
They offer different ranges of menus for 50g carbs a day, down to 20g carbs a day, each with 3 full meals a day, bread and cake substitutes, puddings and so on.
Lots of different suggestions and choices.
If you wanted to eat more than they suggest, then the foods to increase are the ones that don't raise blood glucose significantly - those are fats and the meats, fish and eggs, along with the green veggies.
Personally, when I tried their menus for a couple of months I felt stuffed to the gills and started cutting out breakfast and reducing portion sizes because I couldn't eat all the food they suggested.

Reactions: Kaza7

Kaza7

Check out all the delicious foods and menus on www.dietdoctor.com
They offer different ranges of menus for 50g carbs a day, down to 20g carbs a day, each with 3 full meals a day, bread and cake substitutes, puddings and so on.
Lots of different suggestions and choices.
If you wanted to eat more than they suggest, then the foods to increase are the ones that don't raise blood glucose significantly - those are fats and the meats, fish and eggs, along with the green veggies.
Personally, when I tried their menus for a couple of months I felt stuffed to the gills and started cutting out breakfast and reducing portion sizes because I couldn't eat all the food they suggested.

Thank you. I will have a look.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t see anything?
Yes - exactly - you are eating high carb foods, and I don't eat any.
If you compare the amount of food, and the variety of different things you can eat when following a low carb way of eating, it is far more bulk, and far more nourishment too. Eating protein and fat should stop you losing muscle mass and provide energy. I add cream or full fat yoghurt to sugar free jellies, once they have cooled. I make them with half the water normally required, and whisk them when I add the cream or yoghurt to make them frothy. Once set I eat them with a few berries. On high days and holidays I make real custard with eggs and cream.
With every meal I have either a salad or a stirfry, lots of low carb veges, plus oil to dress or for cooking. Sometimes I eat just once a day as I am not hungry - like today, I just don't feel any need to eat and it is after five pm