Rapid weight gain following starting pump

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m on day 12 of pumping and I’ve gained 6lbs! Is this usual when switching over? I appreciate my BS were way too high before but still think it’s a lot to gain I already have a bmi of 38 so can’t afford to gain this much

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your blood sugars were way too high before and are much better now I guess it's like with newly diagnosed T1's who have lost a lot of weight before diagnosis: rapidly gaining what your body lost when it couldn't use the nutrients in your food because of too little insulin.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I’m on day 12 of pumping and I’ve gained 6lbs! Is this usual when switching over? I appreciate my BS were way too high before but still think it’s a lot to gain I already have a bmi of 38 so can’t afford to gain this much
Hi, i don't know if it's normal either, but I started my first pump 6 weeks ago and I have gained weight too. I am having trouble getting the pump settings right, and there have been days when no amount of insulin seems to reduce my levels. I have also had a few defective cannulas.

But.. There have been periods where it has worked really well too. I guess that we just have to have a little patience.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question.

Good luck.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been pumping since February and my weight is pretty much the same. As it is now easier to bolus for what you are eating, could you be eating slightly more?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I put on weight too when I started pumping, the better my diabetes control, the fatter I get! But I feel high sugars are much more damaging to your long term health than a bit of extra weight, so am trying not to be too bothered by it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lost a stone when going on the pump......and this was mainly because I literally halved my basal insulin......due to the ability of setting multiple basal rates over a 24 hour period...

so the question I would ask is are you taking more basal? have you done basal testing over the whole day?

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I lost a stone when going on the pump......and this was mainly because I literally halved my basal insulin......due to the ability of setting multiple basal rates over a 24 hour period...

so the question I would ask is are you taking more basal? have you done basal testing over the whole day?
I haven’t been able to basal test yet due to having a reaction to either the cannula Or the insulin but now that’s settled I’m sure I’ll be doing that soon.

I was under dosing on Bolus before So I do think that’s the reason I just hope it slows down

Reactions: porl69