What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I would like to start this post of in the normal way, but with so much angst it would not feel right. Hugs to you all.

Well day 3 of feeling lousy and blood sugars all over the place 8.6 this morning another day of resting up in front of the idiot box for me.

Note to ALL stray strong and always look on the bright side of life.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry about the lack of sleep DJC that's one of the things I find most difficult to handle...hopefully you can get a short power nap later today?...yes they are great fun but I'd forgotten the hard work even with teeny tiny kittens...considering they were only spayed/neutered on Monday I thought they'd take things easy for the first few days...not a bit of it!

I think it’s the same with all baby animals, kittens puppies and humans. They are all surprisingly exhausting.
Not sure about a power nap today - we are dog sitting my daughter’s Dane, Melody. She is a sedate lady of a certain age and Dennis probably feels like an annoying gnat to her - He is besotted with her and wants to play all the time. She indulges him at times and then I have to quickly move things out of the way - she’s so big, 11.5 stone of dog jumping about in a small room is not for the faint hearted. At the moment he is pleading with her to play with him
IMG_1478.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 for me have a good day everyone. Im getting my pump fitted today very excited but nervous at the same time

Hope it goes well Karen. I’m afraid I don’t know much about it, Will it help to stop those horrible hypos?

Reactions: karen8967

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment he is pleading with her to play with him
That's a hard hearted Great Dane DJC how could she resist that little face...made me laugh I'd love to see them playing...it's amazing how tolerant the larger dogs are very docile...waiting for the right moment to introduce Charlie & Lola to 'Plumpy' that'll be an experience I'm sure.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a very exciting bin day in the dark and dangerous north - “where’s you wheely bin?”

The wonder wheel of number one granddaughter staying over and sous vide steaks came in at 5.3 this am.

Queueing up at the post office this morning - not the one in town - you have to take your own bed and food when queueing in that one. luckily there is still a surviving local one about half a mile away run by Tubbs and Edward for local people. Thankfully, we are classed as local.

Today is the last day of freeeeedom! - well, potentially, and of course depending upon your point of view. I wonder what splutterings and last minute gasps of fantasy will be flung upon the dung heap of misdirection today (the biggest dung heap since records began shortly after the deluge). We have to rush to the supermarket today to stock up on those essential things that may very soon be in short supply such as satsumas, wine, Comte, confit duck and the basic ingredients for a **** good splif (or in old money, reefers). Fill up your cars - take jerry cans also - cause some panic by fighting in the frozen veg isles.

Have a great day if you can, thoughts for those in pain and mental anguish. Best make koffy.
Sous vide steak and list of essentials - minus satsumas and spliff (never tried so don't really know) - all very much on point. Sadly, I am pretty certain the bleaker side of your Old Moore's Almanac downplays the impending pooh show. Granddaughters staying over and hugging family tight for at least a generation looks like the way forward. (Psalm 62 seems oh so very prescient but other ways of dealing with what is coming are available. Shares in anti-depressant manufacturers look like a hot tip). I'm so, so praying this WOE, change of lifestyle and Grace of God give me time on earth to see the comeuppance and proper condemnation for our present overlords.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much, it may be a bad news day for the Sun. NDMAs exist in many things and require a high dosage to cause issues. Here's a link to a medical trial showing the benefits of Metformin in cancer trials.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/intervention/metformin-hydrochloride
This seems to be the source of the story @PatsyB refers to and also seems to cover it https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...w-level-risk-of-contaminant-in-metformin.html

Reactions: gennepher

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That will definitely be one for the family album. I’m just imagining his face when he sees them!
He was in yesterday afternoon sniffing the air...we have them upstairs in the spare room ATM...I've bought a baby gate so they can come out meet him then duck back inside their safe space & 'Plumps' can't get in...he'll want to play with them poor Harry he doesn't know what he's in for.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 7.7 for me today. ( 8.1 yesterday). Not surprising as I'm taking antibiotics for a throat/chest infection after struggling with home remedies for a couple of weeks. Haven't posted for a while as life's challenges have continued and I didn't feel like posting my negative stuff. We have lost 2 more people in the last few weeks and mum's Alzheimer's has progressed. My heart goes out to you and your wife MC, having gone through similar with my aunty recently after her major stroke. As my mum was her next of kin and she has Alzheimer's, it was left to me to complete a DNAR form after dicussing the situation in detail with the consultant but in the end she couldn't take anything by mouth and she was taken back to her care home with palliative care where she was looked after lovingly and passed very peacefully. Sometimes nature makes the decision for you. On the hospital food front I agree it is difficult to find something suitable for a main meal especially when you are visiting every day & long term. Mum was in 2x hospitals for 10 1/2 weeks and we visited every day. At the main hospital the hot food section was in 2 parts. One consisted of pies, pasties, sausage rolls with chips and beans. The other half provided freshly cooked dishes which looked appetising but usually contained carbs such as pasta/ rice or peppers which I cannot tolerate. Occasionally their was cauliflower cheese which was not too bad. In the fridge their was a choice of wraps, sandwiches, fruit salad etc and small pots of tuna or cheese -which I sometimes ate with a small jacket potato and lashings of butter. I counteracted the food with very long walks to/ from and around the hospital. Sending best wishes to those who are doing well and hugs/ positive vibes to those who are struggling at the moment.
PS: @HarryBeau Happy to see you finally have your kittens after such a long wait.:)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 7.7 for me today. ( 8.1 yesterday). Not surprising as I'm taking antibiotics for a throat/chest infection after struggling with home remedies for a couple of weeks. Haven't posted for a while as life's challenges have continued and I didn't feel like posting my negative stuff. Since my last posting we have lost 2 more people and mum's Alzheimer's has progressed. My heart goes out to you and your wife MC, having gone through similar with my aunty recently after her major stroke. As my mum was her next of kin and she has Alzheimer's, it was left to me to complete a DNAR form after dicussing the situation in detail with the consultant but in the end she couldn't take anything by mouth and she was taken back to her care home with palliative care where she was looked after lovingly and passed very peacefully. Sometimes nature makes the decision for you. On the hospital food front I agree it is difficult to find something suitable for a main meal especially when you are visiting every day & long term. Mum was in 2x hospitals for 10 1/2 weeks and we visited every day. At the main hospital the hot food section was in 2 parts. One consisted of pies, pasties, sausage rolls with chips and beans. The other half provided freshly cooked dishes which looked appetising but usually contained carbs such as pasta/ rice or peppers which I cannot tolerate. Occasionally their was cauliflower cheese which was not too bad. In the fridge their was a choice of wraps, sandwiches, fruit salad etc and small pots of tuna or cheese -which I sometimes ate with a small jacket potato and lashings of butter. I counteracted the food with very long walks to/ from and around the hospital. Sending best wishes to those who are doing well and hugs/ positive vibes to those who are struggling at the moment.
What a strong and perfectly balanced lady you are. God bless you for posting as a rebuke to me when I bemoan my circumstances. Hope the antibiotics work for you and life becomes easier over the coming months. Sad but outstanding post IMHO - thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
What a strong and well perfectly balanced lady you are. God bless you for posting as a rebuke to me if I ever feel my circumstances are less than perfect. Hope the antibiotics work for you and life becomes easier over the coming months. Sad but outstanding post IMHO - thank you.
Thank you ianpspurs for your kind response. This year has indeed been full of challenges/ stresses but I thank God for giving me the strength to cope with them and count my blessings when I see the reports of others who are suffering much worse situations than mine. You have had challenges of your own to face and I wish you well.:)

Reactions: mojo37 and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dogslife ...
Have an agree..
It does tell a tale of a path I have also trodden, but a hug was also a co partner for that post.

A hard time, stoically managed, to me speaks of a steely inner strength...
Surprising just what the human body and mind IS actually capable of, when it's those we love most...Respect.

Also agree fully with @ianpspurs summing up... Most elegant and on point, sir.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sous vide steak and list of essentials - minus satsumas and spliff (never tried so don't really know) - all very much on point. Sadly, I am pretty certain the bleaker side of your Old Moore's Almanac downplays the impending pooh show. Granddaughters staying over and hugging family tight for at least a generation looks like the way forward. (Psalm 62 seems oh so very prescient but other ways of dealing with what is coming are available. Shares in anti-depressant manufacturers look like a hot tip). I'm so, so praying this WOE, change of lifestyle and Grace of God give me time on earth to see the comeuppance and proper condemnation for our present overlords.
Where is the like/agree/funny/hug tab?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to start this post of in the normal way, but with so much angst it would not feel right. Hugs to you all.

Well day 3 of feeling lousy and blood sugars all over the place 8.6 this morning another day of resting up in front of the idiot box for me.

Note to ALL stray strong and always look on the bright side of life.
alf you and normal in the same sentence !!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious: