What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha haha it occurred to me after I’d posted the above. I was puzzling about it - re reading the instructions on the pack, which don’t mention yeast at all! then... lightbulb moment... there was a little sachet which I didn’t even look at, I assumed it was a desiccant to keep it dry and chucked it away LOL . I don’t think Im ever going to live this down here.
I'm still smiling about this. At least the mystery is solved. I await the proving of the next one.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No fat cut off the meat at all. Did you use the meat setting defaults, or set the temperature and time manually? A bit like with normal rendering, we'll often start the meat off a bit lower to get the fat moving, then ramp it up towards the end.

Funnily enough I was thinking of you this morning, in ASDA of all places.

I was looking at non-dairy milks, as I'm considering DF for a while, but can't quite persuade myself over the line. Anyway, they seem to be selling an Alpro Barista range, which they claim foams. Have you tried them at all, in either of your frothing machines?
Ooh, you've got my attention with that. Barista nut milks.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butchers? Every village in a 10 mile radius has lost them around here. Meat only available in supermarkets.
Do I not recall you mentioning Dobbies? Our Dobbies has shops within shops including a really good butcher. It is a very big Dobbies though.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I not recall you mentioning Dobbies? Our Dobbies has shops within shops including a really good butcher. It is a very big Dobbies though.
Yes there is a butchers in Dobbies - not a fan. No Ox cheek, steak too lean and meat generally over lean so lacking taste - IMHO obviously. Not a Dobbies fan but like Fatface and Weird Fish. This is a better bet https://www.johnsonsofoldhurst.co.uk/butchery especially for buffalo, pigeon and yes, crocodile.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over cauliflower rice with melted cheese on top followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all -thanks for all your thoughts and wishes I’ve had a difficult few days......spent 45 mins in the dentists chair yesterday! OH wondered what was happening! Extraction difficult and ended up needing some gum surgery too to drain the abscess and also him calling,in a desperate tone! , for the forceps as the root had fractured! Didn’t know there were dental forceps - almost funny had I not been suffering! looking back I should have done what my autistic son does whenever he’s in a challenging situation and wear headphones with soothing music! I wouldn’t have heard the shouting and drama! He also shouted for gelatin packs to stop the bleeding and it did cross my mind what if I’d been a vegan - he never asked! As if! I’ve felt traumatised to be honest but had to keep going with mum here and also had a caring issue with autistic son to deal with today - still I’m fine, the paracetamol works, hopefully abscess will become a thing of the past and I managed to eat this evening!
Stuck to black tea, coffee with cream and water yesterday and today in the day but managed some dinner tonight managing some scrambled eggs. Hoping back to normal tomorrow.

Oh Shelley, how awful. I do hope it will heal very quickly and you will be back to normal soon.

You're bringing back memories of my last visit to the dentist, which was very similar - 6 months or more ago. I hope yours heals a lot quicker than mine did. I still have a piece of my jaw sticking out through my gum - I thought it was a bit of the tooth left behind, but another dentist told me it was my jaw bone which had been exposed but it would grow over. It has - almost. I vowed I would never go back to the dentist, but now I have another tooth broken so I'll have to - it's catching my tongue. But yours won't be so bad, I'm sure.

Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@shelley262 how did the extraction go? Hope you are recovering and feeling a whole lot better now.
@Annb eye issues are terrifying. And I know exactly what you are going through when trying to protect Neil from himself.You have dental issues as well. Big hugs to you both.
@maglil55 sympathy for the painful legs. Hope it's improved, by which I mean gone, by the time you reach this post.
@DJC3 hugs for the lurgy, but what a great excuse for ginger, lemon and honey tea. My own favourite comfort/remedy in like circumstances. Some people add a tot of whisky, or brandy, but don't like either.

10-12-19
Breakfast. 2X CWC. 2 slices toasted pain kapnor with peanut butter. The last of that as well. Sadly won't be able to replace that until we return to UK. Far too expensive here. About 3-4 times UK price.Thats if there is any in the shop. Wall of chocolate, caramel, and toffee spreads, but only one or two types of peanut butter.
Lunch, we were out shopping and got caught out by French opening hours. The builders merchant closed just as we got there. Went to a couple of other stores, then MrSlim returned to builders merchants for essential plumbing supplies. While I shopped at supermarket next door. He finished first so went to cafe and ordered lunch. Beef and goats cheese salad on a seeded bread baton. Coffee for him, tea for me. We shared, two thirds for him, one for me. Was going to leave some of the bread... but I love it so! This was just before 3pm.
No idea of BG before or after.
Dinner. BG 4.9 so lunch cant have had a really bad effect.
Place fillets with almond and parmesan crumb. Couple of small potatoes, frozen green beans and peas. White wine.
Two hour BG 6.1
These figures are looking ok to me. However will see what happens to weight over the week.
Meanwhile our builder had not contacted us re start date and we are now struggling to make any progress at all with the build. MrSlim, who always has job opportunities in his inbox, is now talking of 3 months in UK. Have to admit the idea is appealing.
During the evening, another half glass of wine and four squares noir chocolate.
tea before bed. Not the same as bedtime tea :cat:
Goodnight

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@shelley262 like Annb have horrific memories of similar incident. Mine was over an hour. Three attempts at numbing the tooth before extraction. Shattered the tooth. Bits left behind. So desperate to get out I crashed the car in the car park.
At least you were spared that trauma.
It's difficult with the caring issues, but take care of you as well. Hugs and crossed fingers for speedy recovery.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Just realised I hadn’t posted today yet.
CWC this morning
Lunch- chaffle topped with fried egg and spinach then choc chia pudding
Dinner - beef curry done in IP with cauliflower rice, then DGF peanut butter Blondie and thick cream, very nice indeed.
@shelley262 hugs for the traumatic extraction, sounded horrendous.
@maglil55 hoping to do the last pack of Skinny bread at the weekend. I’m so glad you mentioned the yeast or I’d never have known what I was doing wrong. Still can’t get over it!

mouseee

Hello!
Today was coffee for breakfast, bacon and roasted cauliflower for lunch - I did eat a tiny pork pie too.
Veg curry for dinner. I've learnt to eat curries etc without rice or similar. I don't miss it at the moment.
A low carb cereal bar mid morning.

I'm learning to avoid the temptation of break time treats by checking bs while everyone else chomps on a choccie biscuit. It reminds me not to eat them!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@shelley262 how did the extraction go? Hope you are recovering and feeling a whole lot better now.
@Annb eye issues are terrifying. And I know exactly what you are going through when trying to protect Neil from himself.You have dental issues as well. Big hugs to you both.
@maglil55 sympathy for the painful legs. Hope it's improved, by which I mean gone, by the time you reach this post.
@DJC3 hugs for the lurgy, but what a great excuse for ginger, lemon and honey tea. My own favourite comfort/remedy in like circumstances. Some people add a tot of whisky, or brandy, but don't like either.

10-12-19
Breakfast. 2X CWC. 2 slices toasted pain kapnor with peanut butter. The last of that as well. Sadly won't be able to replace that until we return to UK. Far too expensive here. About 3-4 times UK price.Thats if there is any in the shop. Wall of chocolate, caramel, and toffee spreads, but only one or two types of peanut butter.
Lunch, we were out shopping and got caught out by French opening hours. The builders merchant closed just as we got there. Went to a couple of other stores, then MrSlim returned to builders merchants for essential plumbing supplies. While I stopped at supermarket next door. He finished first so went to cafe and ordered lunch. Beef and goats cheese salad on a seeded bread baton. Coffee for him tea for me. We shared two thirds for him, one for me. Was going to leave some of the bread... but I love it so! This was just before 3pm.
No idea of BG before or after.
Dinner. BG 4.9
Place fillets with almond and parmesan crumb. Couple of small potatoes, frozen green beans and peas. White wine.
Two hour BG 6.1
These figures are looking ok to me. However will see what happens to weight over the week.
Meanwhile our builder had not contacted us re start date and we are now struggling to make any progress with the build. MrSlim, who always has job opportunities in his inbox, is now talking of 3 months in UK. Have to admit the idea is appealing.
During the evening, another half glass of wine and four squares noir chocolate.
Tea before bed, which is not the same as bedtime tea.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All

Got distracted with exciting travel plans yesterday evening, and forgot to post my food.

It was:
B: HC LC hot choc
L: prawns and oomi noodles in cheese and garlic with a dab of brinjal pickle. Delish!!!
D: sausages and chips (well, halloumi fries) with chilli sauce

Of course, all that filled me up to bursting, but since we ate at 6pm as soon as I got into bed at 11pm I realised that I needed a snackette to get to sleep. Enter my cunning plan and a vanilla protein shake. Worked like a charm.

Ooh, and spread through the day was half a dark choc orange (the Terry's one). Not v nice at all! Mr B only got it for me because he thought the dark one was new and exciting. It wasn't. So I broke the news to him gently, so that he doesn't ever waste his pocket money getting me another.

However, I find myself physically unable to throw chocolate away. Weird, huh? So the second half may find its way into me over the next few hours. Fortunately, if I spread the segments out through the day my bg hardly blips.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning

Beautifully sunny but cold day - murder on my arthritic bits and bobs but I'm enjoying the sunshine. Just back home from a drive out in the new car. I was a bit dismayed to see all the computer stuff - why can't we go back to the pre-computer car days.

@Brunneria - thanks for the hot choc recipe and yes, like you, I find it hard to throw away chocolate (although throwing that Lily O'Brian choc wasn't a problem, ewwww). Pre diagnosis I never much liked chocolate and since diagnosis I've been trying to persuade myself that I like the dark stuff - I'm a work in progress.... every now and then I enjoy a square but it can sit in my freezer for months without me thinking about it.
@SlimLizzy - the opening hours of your shops in France sound a lot like the opening hours of shops in this little Yorkshire village. Strange about the peanut butter though!
@DCUKMod and @Quinn1066 - I'd never heard of an inverter microwave either. What (in real life) does do that makes it work better than a normal microwave?
@ianpspurs - thanks for the avocado advice. We are going near a Morrisons and M&S foodhall at the weekend so I'll get one/some then. Do you just sprinkle chia seeds over your salads or do you soak them first?
@Annb - I'm glad the cauliflower rice worked well for you. I didn't tell Mr C what it does to you until after he'd eaten a load of it with his chilli before work today. :hilarious: Its payback for him feeding the dogs leftover sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli yesterday which caused havoc with their digestive systems yesterday evening. (They do like veg but it doesn't like them, especially the amount he fed them!) :***:
@shelley262 - OMG! Big hug coming your way for the awfulness of the dentist and another big hug for your caring issues. I used to work with autistic people so I know how difficult (and wonderful) it can be.
@maglil55 - A while back we went to a Dobbies near Chesterfield and I don't remember there being a butchers there but it isn't a very big one.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My food for Thursday 10th December - BG seems to be getting a bit better but I'd love to reduce that FBG test in the morning. The ONLY time it ever came down for more than a day was when I experimented with carni - even when I fasted for five days (another experiment) it still didn't stay down. I know its only DP but its very irritating that my liver feels the need to be so helpful.

Wednesday bed: 6.3

Thursday FBG: 7.4
Breakfast: Mozzarella Chaffle with sugar/carb free syrup
Two hours later: 8.2

Lunch: 6.9
Advent calendar cheese
2 hours later: 6.0

Dinner: 6.1
Leftovers of cauli, broccoli, fennel and mushroom bake from yesterday (with cream, cheese and egg topping) - not so nice the second day so won't be making this again
2 hours later: 5.7

Bed: 5.7

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning

Beautifully sunny but cold day - murder on my arthritic bits and bobs but I'm enjoying the sunshine. Just back home from a drive out in the new car. I was a bit dismayed to see all the computer stuff - why can't we go back to the pre-computer car days.

@Brunneria - thanks for the hot choc recipe and yes, like you, I find it hard to throw away chocolate (although throwing that Lily O'Brian choc wasn't a problem, ewwww). Pre diagnosis I never much liked chocolate and since diagnosis I've been trying to persuade myself that I like the dark stuff - I'm a work in progress.... every now and then I enjoy a square but it can sit in my freezer for months without me thinking about it.
@SlimLizzy - the opening hours of your shops in France sound a lot like the opening hours of shops in this little Yorkshire village. Strange about the peanut butter though!
@DCUKMod and @Quinn1066 - I'd never heard of an inverter microwave either. What (in real life) does do that makes it work better than a normal microwave?
@ianpspurs - thanks for the avocado advice. We are going near a Morrisons and M&S foodhall at the weekend so I'll get one/some then. Do you just sprinkle chia seeds over your salads or do you soak them first?
@Annb - I'm glad the cauliflower rice worked well for you. I didn't tell Mr C what it does to you until after he'd eaten a load of it with his chilli before work today. :hilarious: Its payback for him feeding the dogs leftover sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli yesterday which caused havoc with their digestive systems yesterday evening. (They do like veg but it doesn't like them, especially the amount he fed them!) :***:
@shelley262 - OMG! Big hug coming your way for the awfulness of the dentist and another big hug for your caring issues. I used to work with autistic people so I know how difficult (and wonderful) it can be.
@maglil55 - A while back we went to a Dobbies near Chesterfield and I don't remember there being a butchers there but it isn't a very big one.

For me, the biggest wins with the inverter microwaves is the chaos defrost function (not used all that often, but fab when we do), which seems t defrost things "gently", and in a more even manner that usual, where the outsides of the brick get soft, but the core remains uber solid.

On reheating, or cooking, it seems a more even heat. Whilst we still give things a stir when they're done, that doesn't seem to uncover cold patches.

Our first inverter microwave was also our first flat bed microwave, which makes the useable space in the oven cavity much greater.

Whilst these points seem like finessing (and they likely are), they do make a difference - for us anyway.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Short answer is tea. I have had 64.5 years to eat anyway and given the opinion polls and the mendacious charlatan likely to be running things it seems only right to get used to what others will have to endure just for his aggrandisement. @Chook I sprinkle the chia seeds and linseeds over the salad before adding the leaves and mixing. I/we don't add on top of leaves as they just go everywhere.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All. Strange eating day that started with teaat 05.30 followed by more tea and then more tea and slice LivLife toast with thick butter. Was out of area today on a car journey with a lovely old friend so we stopped at a nice tea room and I had Leek & Mushroom quiche and lovely fresh salad and yet more tea.
Back home and tired so I think next nutritional event might be toast and peanut butter. Defrosting portion chicken curry for Mr PM.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. A lot of coffee this morning after another bad nights sleep ( coughing)
NE1 was the bits from the chicken I’d bought. The butcher skinned, boned and chopped it for me so I airfried the wings and skin for lunch, and chucked the carcass in the IP for stock. Had a DGF peanut Blondie afterwards with a mug of tea. High bg all day today, pre lunch 6.0 post lunch 7.1 seems a bit harsh.
NE2 a diet doctor thing https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/kristies-chicken-philly-cheesesteak-casserole then a small pot of chocolate chia pud. Haven’t tested post meal bg yet but not looking forward to result.