Quick solution for burnout?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
I've been trying to get a hand on my diabetes properly for the last couple of months, for the most part i've succeeded. Until recently :( over the last week i'm struggling to keep my sugars below 10, if it carries on for another 2 or 3 days i'm considering increasing my Tresiba by 1 unit.
My issue is that due to a consistently high blood sugar, i'm starting to suffer with diabetes burnout. I have absolutely no energy, my brain feels tick and fuzzy and i'm physically struggling to keep my eyes open. I know from experience that this isn't a particularly quick fix, so does anyone have an effective and diabetes friendly way of boosting energy levels while i get my sugar levels sorted, that doesn't involve copious amounts of caffeine?
Thanks in advance!

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely keep hydrated, you're probably partially feeling so rundown because the high sugars mean that you are going to the loo so often.

If you can manage it, maybe try to do some exercise (if your sugars allow). I always find that this boosts my energy levels and it is a natural way of bringing those sugars down too!

Reactions: Shannon27

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Shannon27 sending big hugs
Your consideration to increase your basal by a unit is spot on and would be the 1st thing I would try. Give it a few days to kick in and see if that helps. Make sure you are hydrated also :)

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Emck and @porl69 , definitely going to try drinking more water. I do tend to focus on brews when at work but they aren't even making a dint in it!
Exercise would probably help a lot more too, i have a desk job so not much chance to get up and moving (apart from the aforementioned brew!). I'm not as fit as i could be so a little exercise in the mornings will probably help throughout the day :)

Reactions: porl69

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you are going through this. Are you able to do a brisk walk or bike ride outside? Counterintuitive that it will provide energy I know, but the extra blood flow, oxygen and fresh air tends to help me.

localshop

I'll probably get told off for this but if mine's high I just jab a few units of fast acting. If my sugar was 10 I'd have 2 or 3 units. I'm guessing that HCPs would advise against this?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll probably get told off for this but if mine's high I just jab a few units of fast acting. If my sugar was 10 I'd have 2 or 3 units. I'm guessing that HCPs would advise against this?

Obviously we can't advise the OP on her medication but I do the same. As far as I am concerned we are trying to do the job of a pancreas (for me, on a MDI system) so as long as we are wary of stacking and all the rest, what's wrong with that. It's all very well HCPs advising us not to but they're not the ones with the condition. As with everything it's about safety first and foremost but the management is down to us. I think they actually do advise on what to do if levels are high but it involves a worked out formula based on your normal insulin dose, etc. Isn't this what a pump does? x

Reactions: localshop