Exercise works sometimes but not others

zaaxuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I went for a 30 min walk at 10pm, last eaten at 6pm and glucose level was 5.7mml after walk ; but today eaten at 2pm when for a 30 min walk at 4pm after it was 7.5.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Unfortunately,you've given little to no info to go on.

What was the BG level before eating?
What did you eat?
When was the post walk result taken, how long after eating?

Also, take into account insulin sensitivity fluctuates throughout the day. As do glucose levels.

Your profile doesn't seem to indicate if you have diabetes or not or what type? People can offer advice better if they know this information and any relevant medication you may be on.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Last night I went for a 30 min walk at 10pm, last eaten at 6pm and glucose level was 5.7mml after walk ; but today eaten at 2pm when for a 30 min walk at 4pm after it was 7.5.

That tells us absolutely nothing as @Tophat1900 has already stated and quite comprehensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @zaaxuk
Agree with the others a single reading is just a snapshot of your glucose levels and gives no useful information as to why they are what they are. If you take a reading immediately before you eat and again 2hr later the difference between the two numbers tells you how your meal affected your levels.
The same applies to exercise, the difference between a pre and post exercise reading will give you an idea of what the exercise has done to your levels. Although personally I think that exercise always works.
If your numbers are lower, you have used up some of the glucose in your blood
If they are higher you are using up some stored glucose to fuel your exercise . For me that's a win win

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't give up the exercise but as others have pointed out there are other variables and food is the biggest of these!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Exercise like walking is very good for lowering your levels , I walk even though some times do not feel like it xxx

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also sometimes have that, but there are many variables including our circadian rhythm. Even whether I had coffee with the meal sometimes (but not always) has an impact. Instead, I will mess around with a few dumbbells to bring the level down.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi
There was always a theory that if you want to lower your bs good way of achieving this was to exercise, this is true however it’s not always the case. There are factors that can affect this , type of exercise ! Anaerobic or aerobic ( all to do with lactic acid apparently) also what your bs is before you start, it can be quite confusing , from a practical point of view it can vary from day to day ( a typical occurrence with diabetes) , best to take regular bs and make sure always have hypo treatment when doing exercise