e-petition "Allow Type 2 Diabetics the means to test their o

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Re: e-petition "Allow Type 2 Diabetics the means to test the

Done, and ive shared it on facebook :D

Sue

Emmerdale

Hi all,Just checked E Petition and only 47 signatures so far, seems poor to me, cmon folks we can do better than that cant we SOLIDARITY

ZACNEMMA

If that bothered surely you would fund it yourself... Some of the strips are affordable

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

ZACNEMMA said:
If that bothered surely you would fund it yourself... Some of the strips are affordable

Really? And if you are not in a position to fund it yourself, what then?

A rather blinkered viewpoint you have there.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

ZACNEMMA said:

Affordable to who? The unit price is relatively cheap, but if you are to test regularly (which is the only sensible way to do it), then the price really adds up:

borofergie said:
I use an Accu-Chek Mobile. I bought it because it seemed the funkiest at the time.

I get 100 tests for £46.99 + 2.67 shipping = 49.7p a test.

4 tests a day would cost me £725 a year.

Yes, you could get cheaper strips, but I'd prefer to test more regularly than 4 times a day, which would easily but the cost above £1000/year. I'm lucky enough (and work hard enough) to be able to afford it, but £1000 is way above what most people can afford.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Good luck with the petition Jacqui! :)

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.

Hi, Signed up but you will need a lot more.

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)

just stumbled on this.

Petition to:

Review and re-evaluate the advice being given to Type 2 diabetics by the health authorities

This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Review and re-evaluate the advice being given to Type 2 diabetics by the health authorities. More details

Submitted by John Moralee – Deadline to sign up by: 03 June 2010 – Signatures: 643

More details from petition creator

Advice being given to people with Type 2 diabetes is flawed and needs to be reviewed and re-evaluated.

People are told to “eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates”. What is more, many PCTs and GPs have a policy of discouraging Type 2 diabetics from self-management by withholding the prescription of test-strips.

It is the well-documented experience of many people affected by Type 2 diabetes that the “eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates” advice is wrong - and, what is more, that self-management by testing blood glucose levels on a regular basis is the only way to get to grips with the control of their condition.

Very many diabetics have found that they can avoid the progression of their disease by diet and exercise alone. In many cases, they have been able to reverse their diabetic situation to the point that costly medications become unnecessary and that medical complications do not develop – i.e. these people have reduced their burden on the NHS through self-education and self-management.

The advice being offered by the health authorities - regarding carbohydrate intake and prescription of test-strips - is long-overdue for review and re-evaluation.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

Government response

Every person with diabetes is different and their clinical condition and personal situation changes throughout their life. If a person has diabetes, it is central to his or her care that they receive the most appropriate advice to help them manage their condition. However, the Department of Health does not provide specific dietary advice to people with diabetes.

The Department of Health wants people to know that they can change their lifestyle and make a difference to their health. This is achieved by giving the public clear and consistent messages on why they should change their lifestyle, and what they can do to make this easier.

The self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) in the management of non-insulin treated Type 2 diabetes is the subject of a recently published report from NHS Diabetes. It recommends that in keeping with the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence guidance (CG87), SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin or sulphonylurea and where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing. SMBG should only be used within a care package and accompanied by structured education, which ensures that people with diabetes have a clear understanding of the role of monitoring and of how the results can improve health outcomes. Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose.

Prescribing decisions about blood glucose test strips are for local determination, but Primary Care Trusts should not impose a blanket policy on testing strips for people with Type 2 diabetes.

Back to the petition list

Copyright © 2010

jj2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

done and posted to FB and Twitter,Good luck with it.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Thanks Lister - that originated on this forum & many of us signed it. The link did not work - how did you find it?

I note the reply:
Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose.

Prescribing decisions about blood glucose test strips are for local determination, but Primary Care Trusts should not impose a blanket policy on testing strips for people with Type 2 diabetes.

The official Hounslow advice is "buy your own." My Dr. hasn't told me that.

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)

hi ian,
just searched it under e petition allow type 2 diabetics to self test,
btw have sgned this new one hope it works
Rob :)

benedict

Administrator

Hi all

We're looking to get some BIG support for the need for all people with type 2 diabetes to receive both appropriate structured education and access to blood glucose testing supplies.

If 100,000 signatures are reached, a Commons debate can be considered.

Please get in touch with me by PM if you would like to join a consultative group to discuss the wording of the petition. I just need your email address to do this.

Just be aware that in consultative group discussions, your email will only be shared with the other members.

Jacqui, I believe that if Diabetes.co.uk hosts the petition here, we can make use of our resource and audience to really get this moving and make a big impact on World Diabetes Day as well -the theme of which is 'Diabetes Education & prevention'.

iHs

In real life all the type 2 diabetics I have met haven't got the slightest interest in testing their bg levels. Believe it or not, they all seem happy to take med such as metformin and just carry on eating the same rubbish food as they did prior to diagnosis. I have asked them if they test and they say no we're not doing that you've got to be joking.

Don't know what structured education they have received as they all seem to think that its ok to carry on eating rice, bread, pasta in plentyful amounts. I feel sorry for them really as they just don't realise what they are doing to themselves.

captainlynne

iHs - I'm a type 2 who does test, despite HCPs telling me not to (leads to interesting discussions), so I have to fund all testing supplies, like so many others.

The guidance on eating that I've been given (in 3 different parts of the country) is the standard line of carbs at every meal. Surprise! Surprise! following the standard line didn't work for me. In despair I went to PN (who monitors my diabetes) and told her how I was feeling. She kindly allowed me ONE pack of test strips! And to provide food diary. Found a book written by dietician who developed diabetes, and had to re-think everything she knew - basically she went very low carb. I was so desperate I tried it - and it works, for me :)

So there are some type 2s out here who do test (my son does, too), but it's the 'experts' who mess things up, not only with testing but with eating. And some times it's almost too much to take them on. But it IS worth it in the end.

Grazer

iHs said:
In real life all the type 2 diabetics I have met haven't got the slightest interest in testing their bg levels.

Don't mean to be confrontational, but I'm not sure who you can have been meeting. I test, and loads of the people (T2's) on this forum test. Their problem is getting hold of the strips!