Low Carb Xmassy Deliciousness

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I discovered this last year in the nearest posh garden centre - and loved it.
Found it again today in Morrisons, and bought 5.
I heartily recommend it to those who crave the usual mince pies.

yes, it has dried fruit and a little gluten and some carbs.

but it is significantly lower carb than a standard mp, and IMHO it is nicer.

https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/product/mince-pie-yorkshire-wensleydale-180g/
View attachment 36903
Can you send me one for christmas? Sounds perfect!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D I’m sure that someone, somewhere, must sell them online...

i know I looked online last year, and found the cheesemakers website.
They may have a list of stockists and suppliers on there.

i have to go and eat some now you've reminded me there is so much in the fridge...

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hotpepper20000 did you try the stuffing? I tried a different recipe, adapted from this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing

I ditched the apple and used 6 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages, with skins removed, half an onion diced and fried in 25g butter, a 35g bag of the real pork crackling co golden pork crunch and a 40g bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling blitzed into crumbs and some dried sage. Fry onions, leave to cool. Mix everything else together and then add the onions and thoroughly combine. Fill a 1lb loaf tin and bake on gas 4-5 for 40 minutes. Pretty delicious. A definite keeper.

7A8D8B6E-4394-4DC7-9668-113F1D1E8BE3.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and Quinn1066

Hotpepper20000

@Hotpepper20000 did you try the stuffing? I tried a different recipe, adapted from this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing

I ditched the apple and used 6 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages, with skins removed, half an onion diced and fried in 25g butter, a 35g bag of the real pork crackling co golden pork crunch and a 40g bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling blitzed into crumbs and some dried sage. Fry onions, leave to cool. Mix everything else together and then add the onions and thoroughly combine. Fill a 1lb loaf tin and bake on gas 4-5 for 40 minutes. Pretty delicious. A definite keeper.

View attachment 37001
Not yet. I have a Xmas dinner to cook with a few of us low carb/ keto so will try it then.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Don’t forget the roast potatoes, sorry I meant swede! Just peel and cut into large cubes, then roast in hot olive oil (or your choice) at 200 for 30 mins or so.

Celeriac doesn’t work for me, but swede is a good swap. Doesn’t quite have the same crisp/fluffy texture, but pretty good and typically 2.3g carbs per 100g.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 37001

Oh great! I’d forgotten you’d made a lc stuffing. This sounds perfect.
Why did you use 2 types of pork crackling, were they just what you had to hand or would it make a difference?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh great! I’d forgotten you’d made a lc stuffing. This sounds perfect.
Why did you use 2 types of pork crackling, were they just what you had to hand or would it make a difference?

I had a theory that the pork crunch might act more like bread as it’s a bit drier than the Awfully Posh, but not sure it’d make a big difference. So long as you don’t over blitz the Awfully Posh it doesn’t get too wet so I’d happily work with just that. The stuffing really is delicious. Making it for lunch on Saturday when I get to my Dad’s.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a theory that the pork crunch might act more like bread as it’s a bit drier than the Awfully Posh, but not sure it’d make a big difference. So long as you don’t over blitz the Awfully Posh it doesn’t get too wet so I’d happily work with just that. The stuffing really is delicious. Making it for lunch on Saturday when I get to my Dad’s.

Ah right! I know that some brands are more like Quavers and some have more of the soft fatty stuff in them, so a mixture sounds like a good plan. I wonder if it’d freeze well, have you tried? I like to get a lot of the prep done in advance.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah right! I know that some brands are more like Quavers and some have more of the soft fatty stuff in them, so a mixture sounds like a good plan. I wonder if it’d freeze well, have you tried? I like to get a lot of the prep done in advance.

It probably would freeze. It kept well in the fridge for about a week. Kept eating slices of it - drooling!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided that the @lovinglife household can fend for themselves this year and I'm moving in with @Brunneria for the festive season - see you Christmas Eve - don't worry I'll be gone by New Year :):p

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I am going to dream of all the lovely food I can eat all night! I am definitely going to try some of these especially dessert ideas. We are having rack of lamb again this year with a reduced Rioja, butter and red currant sauce, red cabbage, cauliflower cheese and for himself Waitrose duck fat roasties. I've still got a week to decide which dessert to try.
Thank you everyone especially Brunneria for bumping the thread

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going abroad this year for Christmas, staying in a hotel that puts on a buffet of a wide range of options. I am not expecting to see any mince pies, Xmas pud, Xmas cake or sausage rolls on the menu. Just good food.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to dream of all the lovely food I can eat all night! I am definitely going to try some of these especially dessert ideas. We are having rack of lamb again this year with a reduced Rioja, butter and red currant sauce, red cabbage, cauliflower cheese and for himself Waitrose duck fat roasties. I've still got a week to decide which dessert to try.
Thank you everyone especially Brunneria for bumping the thread
Hmmm. I think I'll have chistmas at your place this year, especially if himself is willing to part with a small bit of his duck fat roasties!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hmmm. I think I'll have chistmas at your place this year, especially if himself is willing to part with a small bit of his duck fat roasties!
I'm sure he would share he has a big bag of them in the freezer!:smug:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

and you are all very welcome!

you can do the washing up

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just heard that the carpet fitters have been seen working in our new home, which theoretically means that we might be able to move in this weekend (only been waiting since July) so big dilemma. Do we stay here and move between Christmas and New Year, stay here and move in after New Year or run around like headless chickens and move in this weekend? Draw back to between Christmas and New Year and this weekend is that Cromer has huge fireworks display and our new home is 50 yards from promenade and dog hates fireworks and will be stressed anyhow, plus for moving this weekend is being able to wheelchair down to promenade Boxing Day to see all the silly people going for the charity swim? Decisions decisions!

Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an owner of a passed dog with fireworks stress, I would say leave it until they are over. Sitting on the loo and suddenly finding a dog in your lap ai'nt fun. Anyway, it is up to you, I am off to @Brunneria's.

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well it seems I was wrong, himself has told me off about being so free with his roasties and the dog said as there's no fireplace or chimney in Cromer how will Father Christmas deliver all his presents? I think the dog is right best we stay here until after New Year then himself has 50 weeks to construct a fireplace ready for next Christmas. I don't think he'll be able to construct a chimney as its Grade 2 listed and we had to wait ages for permission to be given for a fire door.
So thanks for the offer Brunneria but the dog and I will stay here, haven't asked himself where he's going to take his roasties unless Antje would like him?