Levels after meals

Mike97

When first diagnosed with Type 2, I was advised that my BG level should be 7 or below and that 2 hours after eating it should be 9 or below. My question is that if for example if 1 hour after eating it has risen to 12, is it then OK if its back to 9 or below after 2 hours?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say 12 is too high. Are you cutting back on carbs?

Mike97

Yes. I am trying my best to follow low-carb, but have transgressed on the odd occasion resulting in "spikes". The "12" came about after being invited out for dinner and eating a chicken casserole; I was also surprised that a single bowl of porridge, (supposedly "good" carbs") no sugar just cream, took me up to "10"

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2's have slightly different target ranges to Type 1's and the Type 1 range 2 hours after eating is 9mmol and under with Type 2 having the slightly tighter range of under 8.5mmol, you will also find this information on blood sugar level ranges of this website, what is a typical day of food to you? porridge can be a problem for a lot of people but what was the size of your portion? xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are no good carbs so far as I am concerned. But we are all different, eat to your meter.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When first diagnosed with Type 2, I was advised that my BG level should be 7 or below and that 2 hours after eating it should be 9 or below. My question is that if for example if 1 hour after eating it has risen to 12, is it then OK if its back to 9 or below after 2 hours?
You don't really want to see anything over 8,5, which is apparently when (especially sustained) high blood sugar levels start doing damage. It's a good thing you're still going back down snd you don't stay up there, but for me personally, I don't see numbers like these unless I've had a steroid / flu shot or a severe infection someplace.... I try to stay somewhere between 4,5 and 6,5. If it's the odd occasion though... I would try not to worry about it. Just keep an eye on your numbers and diet the rest of the time.

Mike97

Thank you for all your replies. In answer to xfield, my regular breakfast is 2 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt with blueberries and raspberries plus the occasional omelette or boiled egg with 2 slices of LivLife bread. Lunch is homemade vegetable soup or lentil soup, occasionally adding a cheese sandwich made with cheddar cheese and 2 slices of LivLife low-carb bread. Dinner will typically be fish or chicken with cauliflower mash and vegetables (non-root). Drinks throughout the day are rooibos tea (no milk or sugar), water, decaf Americano coffee and sparkling mineral water.

I have recently started to use a Freestyle Libre which gives me a daily average of around 6.5

Slightly off topic; can anyone comment on the efficacy or otherwise of "inulin". The only medication that I'm currently prescribed is Metformin 500mg twice daily.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have unused inulin in the cupboard. The side effects are off putting.

Your diet looks pretty good to me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your replies. In answer to xfield, my regular breakfast is 2 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt with blueberries and raspberries plus the occasional omelette or boiled egg with 2 slices of LivLife bread. Lunch is homemade vegetable soup or lentil soup, occasionally adding a cheese sandwich made with cheddar cheese and 2 slices of LivLife low-carb bread. Dinner will typically be fish or chicken with cauliflower mash and vegetables (non-root). Drinks throughout the day are rooibos tea (no milk or sugar), water, decaf Americano coffee and sparkling mineral water.

I have recently started to use a Freestyle Libre which gives me a daily average of around 6.5

Slightly off topic; can anyone comment on the efficacy or otherwise of "inulin". The only medication that I'm currently prescribed is Metformin 500mg twice daily.
Diet looks alright... Might want to swap the LifLife for some extra eggs or something, lentil soup is a little iffy I suppose (starches), but all in all... Seems okay.
No idea on the inulin, sorry.