Chutneys

Paulm80

Christmas is coming , anyone know of any low carb chutneys?
Can’t find anything myself and far to lazy to make my own!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first ingredient (and therefore the largest component) of almost all appears to be sugar so unless you want to take some cooking lessons looks like you're out of luck.. sorry.

Paulm80

The first ingredient (and therefore the largest component) of almost all appears to be sugar so unless you want to take some cooking lessons looks like you're out of luck.. sorry.

Yeah I gathered that will scrolling through the nutrition info!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how much you have. I have chutneys in sandwiches and with cold meats but tend to stick to a dessert spoon at most. If you have a monitor use it to test your reaction. However I tend to average between 100-130g carbs per day which may be more than you have allowed yourself.

Reactions: Paulm80

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly us small portions of a variety of different pickles, chutneys and sauces that contain sugar.

Yes, they have carbs, and yes those carbs are mainly sugar, but the portion sizes are small, and frankly, 1 teasp of full sugar pickle, on top of a plate of otherwise keto food, has negligible impact on blood glucose, but a whole heck of an impact on pleasure and sustainability of this way of eating. So I don't worry about it at all.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are the XyloTreat products that are sweetened with Xylitol and are marketed as sugar free they do an apple and a spicy pineapple flavor chutney.

And they are gluten free also.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was delighted to see this thread as I recently went through a 'chutney or no chutney?' dilemma recently.

For me the answer was in perusing the carb content of boutique chutneys, ie less processed, less sugar etc etc. My English ancestors cry out to me in the piccalilli and chutney section of supermarkets :) (thank you India for this wonderful culinary gift!), and I have sorely missed them since diagnosis, so last time I decided to really get down and study the ingredients and nutritional info... to my great pleasure, coming up with the fact that LC preserves do exist!

First of all I grabbed a boutique chutney with tamarillo, a wonderful sour fruit, as its main ingredient, bypassing the peach one, assuming the tamarillo would be the less sugary one, but went back to the shelf to just check, just in case... and was very surprised to see that it was the peach chutney that was in fact the lowest carb by a significant margin, and with less than 1g of carbs per two teaspoons (which would be liberally smearing on my cheese for avo tea...) (The reason logical Herr Svea suggested was that the sour fruit was deemed needing more sugar to sweeten it, and peaches.... well...)

Moral - study the food label of boutique chutneys, and you may be very pleasantly surprised. And - indulged.
Low carb boutique chutney.jpg

Paulm80

I was delighted to see this thread as I recently went through a 'chutney or no chutney?' dilemma recently.

For me the answer was in perusing the carb content of boutique chutneys, ie less processed, less sugar etc etc. My English ancestors cry out to me in the piccalilli and chutney section of supermarkets :) (thank you India for this wonderful culinary gift!), and I have sorely missed them since diagnosis, so last time I decided to really get down and study the ingredients and nutritional info... to my great pleasure, coming up with the fact that LC preserves do exist!

First of all I grabbed a boutique chutney with tamarillo, a wonderful sour fruit, as its main ingredient, bypassing the peach one, assuming the tamarillo would be the less sugary one, but went back to the shelf to just check, just in case... and was very surprised to see that it was the peach chutney that was in fact the lowest carb by a significant margin, and with less than 1g of carbs per two teaspoons (which would be liberally smearing on my cheese for avo tea...) (The reason logical Herr Svea suggested was that the sour fruit was deemed needing more sugar to sweeten it, and peaches.... well...)

Moral - study the food label of boutique chutneys, and you may be very pleasantly surprised. And - indulged.
View attachment 37245

It’s interesting isn’t it, sometimes you just do t know until you look

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are the XyloTreat products that are sweetened with Xylitol and are marketed as sugar free they do an apple and a spicy pineapple flavor chutney.

And they are gluten free also.
But please be aware that if you are a dog owner these should be probably avoided, as xylitol is extremely dangerous for dogs even if consumed in tiny quantities.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
But please be aware that if you are a dog owner these should be probably avoided, as xylitol is extremely dangerous for dogs even if consumed in tiny quantities.
Quite so the figures are.

The dose of xylitol that can cause hypoglycemia in a dog has been reported between 50 milligrams (mg) of xylitol per pound of body weight (100 mg per kg). The higher the dose ingested, the more the risk of liver failure.
Edit
Sorry here is a link.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs

Last edited: