Help please!! Continuous high blood sugars in the morning

smahmo99

Hi All,

New to this forum but im a type 1 diabetic for coming up to 10 years now.

But In the last few years my readings in the morning are very high right after waking up or can be normal but rise high after breakfast despite whatever I eat or inject in Novorapid.

Can go sleep between 5-8 and wake up on 14mmol After breakfast it’s then 16+mmol

I have put a lot of weight on in this time. (Could be because sometimes I was injecting too much insulin to get me down n then I’ll find myself in a hypo)

Recently had an appointment with a nurse and she suggested maybe my long acting (Levemir) was wearing off and that I change to Lantus. It’s been a week now my reading are still not 100% but maybe its because my body is adjusting.

Please help! Share your ideas or experiences

smahmo99

Also it will rise after exercise too even if I haven’t ate anything.

After a correction dosage till bedtime the levels are fine it’s just within that time frame of waking up and after my 1st meal if I don’t eat it still rises.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So do you only take levemir once a day? If thats the case changing to Lantus probably won't fix it either - doing 2 doses instead 12hrs apart would probably be more effective. And also your basal dose will change overtime, carrying extra weight may also up your basal needs too. From your second post I suspect you need more basal but only a 'basal test' will confirm that.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

New to this forum but im a type 1 diabetic for coming up to 10 years now.

But In the last few years my readings in the morning are very high right after waking up or can be normal but rise high after breakfast despite whatever I eat or inject in Novorapid.

Can go sleep between 5-8 and wake up on 14mmol After breakfast it’s then 16+mmol

I have put a lot of weight on in this time. (Could be because sometimes I was injecting too much insulin to get me down n then I’ll find myself in a hypo)

Recently had an appointment with a nurse and she suggested maybe my long acting (Levemir) was wearing off and that I change to Lantus. It’s been a week now my reading are still not 100% but maybe its because my body is adjusting.

Please help! Share your ideas or experiences
hi smahmo99 i found when i was on lantus that it would wear off before my next dose i then changed over to tresiba which was a lot more stable and has a longer profile .i have just started on a pump so can not be much help with the highs maybe rotate your sites more if you are not already check for lumps ,check insulin is still effective and not degraded change pen/vial see if that helps i wish you luck x

Reactions: smahmo99

smahmo99

So do you only take levemir once a day? If thats the case changing to Lantus probably won't fix it either - doing 2 doses instead 12hrs apart would probably be more effective. And also your basal dose will change overtime, carrying extra weight may also up your basal needs too. From your second post I suspect you need more basal but only a 'basal test' will confirm that.

Initially I started off with one dose then I started spreading it once in the morning and once at night but still found them high spikes

smahmo99

Also what is a basal test? How do I go about doing one? After research online it says I just inject long acting then fast?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also what is a basal test? How do I go about doing one? After research online it says I just inject long acting then fast?

basically yes! oh keep testing during the fasting - if you BGs go up then you probably need more basal, if it goes down you probably need less.

https://mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing

what time and how much basal are you using?