Type 2 High blood sugar after surgery

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've had hernia repair surgery done today. My sugars for the last 2 years were 6/7 but they up to 13 now for few hours.
I'm off metformin at the moment but I've got some left. Does anyone experienced high sugars after surgery? If so how long they have lasted and did you used metformin?
Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've had hernia repair surgery done today. My sugars for the last 2 years were 6/7 but they up to 13 now for few hours.
I'm off metformin at the moment but I've got some left. Does anyone experienced high sugars after surgery? If so how long they have lasted and did you used metformin?
Thanks

Hi Lucas - Lots of folks talk about their sugars going a bit bonkers when they're not so well, or have had surgery.

To be honest, in your shoes, I'd just give it a few days to see what happens. You've had a big assault on your body today - from the stress, through the anaesthetic, and the physical assault of the repair itself. Your body is trying to give you energy to fight off that assault.

Most folks find once they're over the immediate couple of days of the op, their numbers start coming back into line.

Again, in your shoes, I'd be a bit wary of starting Metformin. Some folks find Metformin upsets their digestive systems when they start it. The very last thing you need is a badly upset tummy, requiring a steady relationship with your loo!

I'd give it a week or so and see what's happening with those numbers, and then if they weren't coming back towards my more usual numbers, I'd have a chat with my GP about it all.

As I say; that'd be my approach, but you know your body.

Reactions: lucas12

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They might have even given you dextrose in the IV drip, they do that sometimes.

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your advice @DCUKMod I will do that way. Yes I think you right about metformin, no point to put more stress on the body. Once again thank you very much

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, can be. I did had a drip but I've only asked if its glucose and they said it isn't

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, can be. I did had a drip but I've only asked if its glucose and they said it isn't

Lucas the IV drips during surgery, such as you've had, are usually just giving you some fluids (bearing in mind you'll have fasted prior to the anaesthetic), and sometimes to give us some meds or pain relief before we wake up.

As I say, I reckon your numbers will come back into line as you get over the op. If you have pain, then treat it. If you've been advised to rest up a few days, do that.

Overdoing things, or being in pain won't help those numbers, and it's only likely to be a few days or a couple of weeks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had two surgeries since being diagnosed type 2, on both occasions my blood sugars were raised for a week to ten days afterwards.
I hope you heal quickly x

Reactions: lucas12 and Rose22

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, my sugars are down to 7/8 I guess the boddy coping well with op. But thanks for stopping me starting metformin

Reactions: Marie 2