Struggling malc

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hi all , recently diagnosed as pre diabetic , and high cholesterol, but not much advice from doctor on diet etc . Get enough exercise as I am a landscape Gardner , but don't know what to eat especially at lunch time when I normally live on sarnies . Any advice please. Malc.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @XT Malc and welcome to the forum.

Here’s a link to some useful information, including on diet: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/ have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

Many of us on here have had great success managing type 2 or pre diabetes by restricting the amount of carbohydrate we eat. It’s a very fast and effective way to bring your blood sugar levels down. There’s some information about that in the link I shared, but also have a look at dietdoctor.com for food and recipe ideas.

So far as cholesterol is concerned, this is a very informative thread on the topic: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello XT Malc
With a little effort and a willingness to change you can beat this. Try avocado, tomato, and (it needs to be a crumbly one) cheese salad? Or ham and eggs? Or ham and cheese? Tuna and mayonnaise. Am thinking you will need a fork type meal.
Bread is not an absolute No-no. But try to find a version that has less carb unit per 100g.
For me, a fellow prediabetic, best advice in a nutshell, was try not to go over 30g carbs per meal.
You might want to invest in the Carbs and Cals book or app, which I found really helpful.

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hello XT Malc
With a little effort and a willingness to change you can beat this. Try avocado, tomato, and (it needs to be a crumbly one) cheese salad? Or ham and eggs? Or ham and cheese? Tuna and mayonnaise. Am thinking you will need a fork type meal.
Bread is not an absolute No-no. But try to find a version that has less carb unit per 100g.
For me, a fellow prediabetic, best advice in a nutshell, was try not to go over 30g carbs per meal.
You might want to invest in the Carbs and Cals book or app, which I found really helpful.
Hello XT Malc
Hi SlimLizzy , sorry for the late response , don't always pick up this tablet , not very techy ? I have been cutting out carbs and have lost a stone in three weeks. Now 10 stone and am not prepared to go lower , it's too skinny for me . I now need to combine my good habits with my cholesterol issues . I will read your links soon , thank you , and thanks for your response , people on this site are really helpful, Malc .

Reactions: SlimLizzy

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hi @XT Malc and welcome to the forum.

Here’s a link to some useful information, including on diet: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/ have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

Many of us on here have had great success managing type 2 or pre diabetes by restricting the amount of carbohydrate we eat. It’s a very fast and effective way to bring your blood sugar levels down. There’s some information about that in the link I shared, but also have a look at dietdoctor.com for food and recipe ideas.

So far as cholesterol is concerned, this is a very informative thread on the topic: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.
Hi Goonergal , sorry for the slow response . You have given me some useful information and I will be doing some reading soon . I have been carb limiting and lost a stone already but will not lose anymore as I am now getting too thin . I will now try to sort my cholesterol issues at the same time !!!! . Thanks for your help , Malc.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi Goonergal , sorry for the slow response . You have given me some useful information and I will be doing some reading soon . I have been carb limiting and lost a stone already but will not lose anymore as I am now getting too thin . I will now try to sort my cholesterol issues at the same time !!!! . Thanks for your help , Malc.
Hi Malc, just to let you know, most of your cholesterol is produced in your liver. Think it's 85%. But with diet and exercise aimed at reducing BG my cholesterol levels dropped as well. This even though am now having cream in my coffee to prevent further weight loss.
Good luck and best wishes for your journey to better health.

Reactions: XT Malc

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Hi Malc, just to let you know, most of your cholesterol is produced in your liver. Think it's 85%. But with diet and exercise aimed at reducing BG my cholesterol levels dropped as well. This even though am now having cream in my coffee to prevent further weight loss.
Good luck and best wishes for your journey to better health.
Hi , SlimLizzy , thanks for the info , am still sitting through loads of information , some of which is VERY contradictory , but I am known for my willpower so will carry on and get this done . Merry Christmas.Malc

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would ask for a LDL particle test from your GP. The only way to know if your cholesterol is out of whack. A coronary calcification score may also be appropriate. Skinny folk with high cholesterol need extra care. How did they decide you were prediabetic ( not questioning diagnosis, just curious as to how for my own interest, I had fasting blood insulin done to confirm mine )?

Reactions: XT Malc

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Any numbers for cholesterol?
Hi bulkbiker, just picked up my tablet . The only figures i have for cholesterol levels are total level 7.7 and hdl 1.13 , so total is 6.82 and needs reducing.

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
I would ask for a LDL particle test from your GP. The only way to know if your cholesterol is out of whack. A coronary calcification score may also be appropriate. Skinny folk with high cholesterol need extra care. How did they decide you were prediabetic ( not questioning diagnosis, just curious as to how for my own interest, I had fasting blood insulin done to confirm mine )?
Hi antechinus, sorry for slow response, I went for flu jab and nurse suggested a general health check. Two weeks later bloods taken and news given , pre diabetic. Figures were HbA1c 42mmol/mol,total cholesterol 7.7 and hdl 1.13, so cholesterol 6.82 and needs to be lowered.Malc.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c of 42 doesn't flick any switches at my GP surgery. When I ask for a test for my failed thyroid I was told to request Hba1c as well, which will be midsummer, but no other health checks in the offing.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your reply. You results aren't to bad considering the results I see for "managed" T2's. Some thoughts for further research, TG to HDL ratio is a better indicator of atherosclerosis than LDL. And both of these are easily improved with diet. LDL is of no consequence if you have large fluffy particles. Small hard particles are no good, you can only know if you have fluffies with an LDL particle size test. This is not routine, and what bulk biker is referring to (also the concept of LDL causing heart disease is bad science that has been repudiated but hangs around all the same). Good news is that small hard LDL particles go away with low carb diet, but LDL will probably rise, but it's more fluffies, so rest easy.

Check out Fat Emperor podcast with dr Ross Walker, podcast 45. Looks at all these issues.

If your losing weight is most likely fat, which will eventually plateau, if you don't eat enough protein you will lose muscle, so watch your protein intake.

Good luck with it.