Mix25

Rootosh

Hi everyone just joined the forum would like to know if anyone using mix 25 and with what results . Having browsed the forum for a while I have never heard of some of the insulins mentioned and think I may be in a minority on this.i have been using it for 5 years . Currently on 16/18 morning and the same evening.bloods usually between 5(odd4)&7(odd 8) not bad but I have a nagging feeling I might be able to do better on something else.appreciate anyone's thoughts . Thanks JR

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Rootosh
It would help to know what type of diabetes you have.
Welcome to the Forum.

Rootosh

Thanks for your time I'm told type 2 but it was diagnosed after contracting acute pancreatitis so has also been called secondary pancreatic diabetes?I don't think I am doing too bad (levels wise). Considering I have also been through throat cancer (surgery)& prostate cancer (radiotherapy & hormone injections) in the past 12 months . Would just be interested to know if I could do any better now I'm getting over the above . Thanks .JR

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I used Mix25 for a number of years and all I can say is that if you are staying between 4 and 8 on this insulin then you are doing amazingly well.

Whilst my A1c was in range, I was having quite a few hypo's and hypers. I've got better control with MDI but if Mix25 is working for you then....?

Reactions: Antje77

Rootosh

Thanks urbanracer . I do get the odd hypo and seem to be forever tinkering with my doses.What is MDI (sorry never heard of it)&is it easier to control your levels with. How many times a day do you have to use it etc . Sorry bit nieve in these things and hopeless when it comes to Tec etc.Thanks JR

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Rootosh :)

MDI is multiple daily injections - it’s gives you more flexibility over what you can eat as you take a basal insulin injection about once or twice a day to cover your basic bodies needs then a bolus of quick acting insulin injection for every carbohydrate you eat so you would need to learn the carb value of food.

Rootosh

Thanks juicyj.

Don't really want to go down the counting carbs route as I am a bit paranoid about losing weight, currently 80kg @ 1.79m which I am very happy with . Just got back up to this after being down 60kg 2 years ago due to previously mentioned illnesses
Thanks again for your time.
Don't think I'm doing too bad in the grand scheme of things.
Regards Rootosh.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Rootosh counting carbs does not mean you have to reduce them or drop weight- it just means you match your insulin dose to the carbs for better sugar levels.

Rootosh

@Diakat
Thanks for that.
Now I know what MDI entails maybe I was just thinking the grass was greener as they say.
As I have been on roughly the same units give or take a few here and there for 2 years I think I will stick with it and get back into a proper exercise routine.
Just a quick question for anyone using mix 25 . Do you think 18&18 is a fairly normal dosage ?
Regards Rootosh

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick question for anyone using mix 25 . Do you think 18&18 is a fairly normal dosage ?
Regards Rootosh
No matter what insulins or insulin regime you are on, there is no normal dosage - everyone is different, you need what you need :)