Win some lose some...home made chocolates

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
My BG flatlined between 5 and 5.5 overnight. Could it have been the truffles I ate in bed before going to sleep? I guess I have to try again tonight to see if there's a pattern :)

Now there’s an experiment we should all try!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't bother too much with making them round, so I just squished teaspoon sized portions between my fingertips before rolling them through cocoa or crunched walnuts. They are perfect!
Thanks, @LittleGreyCat !
50601004_10216793232057473_6916604776448786432_n.jpg
Those look fabulous!! On the other end of the truffle production.....
thumbnail_20190127_143552.jpg

here is my complete and utter disaster. For MasterChef that is! Butter separated, mix curdled, some in a silicone ice cube tray and one of these tubs in the freezer, this one in fridge. I used a mixture of 70/81/95% choc and oh boy, it tastes fantastic, blow the aesthetics! I just scoop out a teaspoonful or scrape it onto yoghurt :)

Reactions: LINMARIE

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Returning to this because it is a while since I made a batch.
Far too long, in fact.

Notes:

Previous batches have gone "grainy" when the chocolate was added. I noted that this was when the third 100 gram bar was added.
This time I paused after adding the first two bars. I added one bar at a time and kept a very small light under the pan.
After two bars the mix was very smooth and creamy.
In fact it looked so good I might try a batch with only 200 grams of chocolate just to see.
Anyway, adding the 3rd bar once again made it a bit grainy, but not as bad as previous batches.
I applied a little more heat and the mix smoothed out, but the butter started to separate out.
So there seems to be a critical temperature range.
Anyway, a touch of butter shouldn't be a bad thing on the finished chocolate.

Things to try in the future:

Mix with 200 grams of 75% chocolate.

Something added to the mix.
  • chopped nuts
  • candied fruit (small piece)
  • glace cherries
  • spirits
I must look up how they make liqueur chocolates. I wouldn't necessarily use sugary drinks but whisky and brandy should be fine.
Just need to get a hollow shell and fill it up, I assume, then seal the top.
Uh oh!
https://www.homechocolatefactory.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=recipes&Store_Code=HCF
Looks as though you have to make a sugar syrup.:(

So just stir some booze into the chocolate mix instead.

I wonder what else mixes well with chocolate?

Dipping cubes of cheese in chocolate seems somehow wrong, but interesting.

Strawberries are OK, so dipping them in chocolate might be interesting.

Berries rolled in chocolate?

A blueberry in each chocolate? Would you have to blanch them first so that they would not go off or ferment?

So many choices, so little time..........

Reactions: DJC3

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Far too long, in fact.

Notes:

Previous batches have gone "grainy" when the chocolate was added. I noted that this was when the third 100 gram bar was added.
This time I paused after adding the first two bars. I added one bar at a time and kept a very small light under the pan.
In fact it looked so good I might try a batch with only 200 grams of chocolate just to see.
Anyway, adding the 3rd bar once again made it a bit grainy, but not as bad as previous batches.
I applied a little more heat and the mix smoothed out, but the butter started to separate out.

• chopped nuts
  • glace cherries
  • spirits
I must look up how they make liqueur chocolates. I wouldn't necessarily use sugary drinks but whisky and brandy should be fine.
Uh oh!
https://www.homechocolatefactory.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=recipes&Store_Code=HCF

A blueberry in each chocolate? Would you have to blanch them first so that they would not go off or ferment?

Salted Cornish butter maybe and ASDA are selling stilton with after eight mint flavour amongst others - I'll pass on the stilton I think.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salted Cornish butter maybe and ASDA are selling stilton with after eight mint flavour amongst others - I'll pass on the stilton I think.

Forgot to mention that I already use salted butter. The Lidl butter with sea salt. I think that enhances the flavour.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Far too long, in fact.

Notes:

• chopped nuts
  • glace cherries
  • spirits
Uh oh!

How about Brazil nuts or coffee beans?
I wouldn’t bother blanching blueberries first, I doubt they’d last long enough to ferment!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dipping cubes of cheese in chocolate seems somehow wrong, but interesting

I haven’t tried it yet, but did bookmark this recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-covered-cheese-with-black-sea-salt/

How about Brazil nuts or coffee beans?

These are delicious with chopped Brazil nuts.

And without wanting to derail too much, I just made the attached flourless chocolate cake for Christmas (plus a mini tester for later today). Butter, eggs, Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and erythritol.

EE464C70-34BA-4066-A4A0-98D1770DF7F2.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried it yet, but did bookmark this recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-covered-cheese-with-black-sea-salt/

These are delicious with chopped Brazil nuts.

And without wanting to derail too much, I just made the attached flourless chocolate cake for Christmas (plus a mini tester for later today). Butter, eggs, Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and erythritol.

View attachment 37189

Ha I love the idea of a mini tester for today. Good thinking!

Reactions: Goonergal

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Goonergal I'm put off the flourless chocolate cake (and other similar recipes) by the need for artificial sweeteners.

I did try one recipe without sweeteners and it was a little bitter, but OK with cream.

I am now wondering if a cake with the chocolate mousse mix as a filling and/or icing might get over that issue.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I made mint choc truffles over the weekend, with darker choc so fewer carbs per truffle.
Wish I'd thought about the moulds or read this first as you are right, rolling them out is the faff!
I just heat the cream rather than bring it up to a simmer it as it is very easy to overheat so it separates out. Then break the choc into small pieces and melt it slowly, or grate it directly into the cream.
As long as the cream is warm enough so the chocolate doesn't set as you mix it together that works fine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I'm put off the flourless chocolate cake (and other similar recipes) by the need for artificial sweeteners.

I did try one recipe without sweeteners and it was a little bitter, but OK with cream.

I am now wondering if a cake with the chocolate mousse mix as a filling and/or icing might get over that issue.

Or you could just use different chocolate - I'm happy with erythritol as it is a natural sweetener and I don't get the aftertaste that so many mention; but then I'm using 100% chocolate and a small amount of erythritol. If you used 85% or 70% chocolate the carb content would be higher, but then you'd probably not need the sweetener (but you do get sugar - and that's processed too). Horses for courses, as they say.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Back to this thread and using 85% chocolate (I don't like eating anything above 75% on its own, I have found).
I'm amazed at how long it is since I made a batch!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A success.
The results are a little more bitter, but good.
Extended stirring and occasional extra heat ensured that the chocolate didn't go grainy and the butter was mainly blended in.
A modicum of restraint means that we are still on the first of two trays.
The silicone rubber moulds are truly wonderful.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
This recipe is nice. You just melt some coconut oil in a pan. Then add some unsweetened cocoa pdr and then pour over a whole almond or some chopped nuts you have previously put in plastic ice cube tray.Leave to set. Then just bend the tray and the chocs will just come out. Quick and simple.Only thing the eating is even quicker.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and LINMARIE

LINMARIE

This recipe is nice. You just melt some coconut oil in a pan. Then add some unsweetened cocoa pdr and then pour over a whole almond or some chopped nuts you have previously put in plastic ice cube tray.Leave to set. Then just bend the tray and the chocs will just come out. Quick and simple.Only thing the eating is even quicker.
Going to give this a try as love coconut oil its my best friend at moment.......

Reactions: jjraak

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the idea @LittleGreyCat!

One of the reasons I don’t make truffles is the rolling faff as it’s so messy. I will get myself some silicone ice cube trays or chocolate moulds.

I’ve got some 100% dark chocolate I was bought for Christmas but I find it too strong/bitter. I’m more of an 85% kind of gal.
I don’t want to waste it so wonder if it would be good in truffles? Hoping the cream and maybe a drop or two of liquid sweetener would make it more palitable for me.
I use 90%, melt it then add warm cream and a little sweetener - useful as a base for lots of chocolatey things. The cream needs to be warm otherwise it all sets/clogs up before you can stir in the sweetener.
This week I'm layering it with peanut butter. But I also use it with homemade marzipan or add a natural orange oil.