What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 at 8.32am
4.5 at 9.20am

So last night i had a Christmas night out. Started with a glass of prosecco with strawberries getting ready at home.(didnt eat, they just look pretty), some dance music on to get me in the mood.

Then to a house party. Lots of perfect low carb nibbles on offer, and more prosecco. Great start. So far so good. Then 9pm we all piled in taxis and headed to our restaurant for food. This is where for me it went the shape of a pear. Pulci Pizza. Yes, Italian. Nothing low carb in starter section apart from tomato and mozzarella which I selected. For main course, options ONLY high carb, pizza, pasta. Then waiter came to give us 3 special options. Oh this could be chicken, steak, or SOMETHING suitable for me. Nope. 3 more pasta options! So I picked hot n spicy pizza. I thought i could pick off the good stuff and leave the rubbish. I hadn't taken into account the alcohol non resistance. Disguarded my insulin resistance! And my hunger from days of not eating. So the only thing left on the plate was the crust. I thought I had got away with it. Check out my libre results taken during the evening. Started eating about 10.30pm. Then check out my readings taken during the night! Took me by surprise, ish. Rise later than anticipated, but anticipated non the less.

This morning my breakfast is my 1st attempt at low carb chocolate rum truffles with a cup of tea. Get up and catch up on Strictly. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday.

I feel very blessed with my life as reading the posts some are facing great challenges. Thoughts are with you. Hugs where needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191215-111351_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-111351_LibreLink.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20191215-111544_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-111544_LibreLink.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20191215_101848_resized.jpg
    20191215_101848_resized.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 76

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately poinsettias are not poisonous however I doubt there is much nutritional value in them...besides selfishly they look fabulous with the red burst of colour so I'd like to keep them looking festive for as long as I can...I'd completely forgotten it was Sunday...got myself busy it's anti-coagulation clinic...yuk Monday morning traffic & the cold weather...sipping my coffee switched on the news...yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss realised it's Sunday...time for more coffee...woke to a 6.3

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting some days mixed up ... :hilarious:

When I was younger, poinsettias had a reputation for being toxic to cats, dogs, and other mammals ... recently I've read that they are no longer toxic, "merely" irritable to digestive systems ... I wonder, is it the poinsettias that have evolved? or the mammals? :D I have cacti in a window that the KittenCat KNOWS is off-limits to her, but of course, being a cat, she does not care ... ^. .^

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 at 8.32am
4.5 at 9.20am

So last night i had a Christmas night out. Started with a glass of prosecco with strawberries getting ready at home.(didnt eat, they just look pretty), some dance music on to get me in the mood.

Then to a house party. Lots of perfect low carb nibbles on offer, and more prosecco. Great start. So far so good. Then 9pm we all piled in taxis and headed to our restaurant for food. This is where for me it went the shape of a pear. Pulci Pizza. Yes, Italian. Nothing low carb in starter section apart from tomato and mozzarella which I selected. For main course, options ONLY high carb, pizza, pasta. Then waiter came to give us 3 special options. Oh this could be chicken, steak, or SOMETHING suitable for me. Nope. 3 more pasta options! So I picked hot n spicy pizza. I thought i could pick off the good stuff and leave the rubbish. I hadn't taken into account the alcohol non resistance. Disguarded my insulin resistance! And my hunger from days of not eating. So the only thing left on the plate was the crust. I thought I had got away with it. Check out my libre results taken during the evening. Started eating about 10.30pm. Then check out my readings taken during the night! Took me by surprise, ish. Rise later than anticipated, but anticipated non the less.

This morning my breakfast is my 1st attempt at low carb chocolate rum truffles with a cup of tea. Get up and catch up on Strictly. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday.

I feel very blessed with my life as reading the posts some are facing great challenges. Thoughts are with you. Hugs where needed.

Not too bad, considering.:)

Nice to see you back to your best, debs..x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 at 8.32am
4.5 at 9.20am

You certainly deserved your night out after feeling so rotten for so long. Italian is always hopeless for carbs so glad you managed to get away with it. The fat and the Prosecco helped. I love the look of your rum truffles and the plate is fabulous.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy and @HarryBeau at least you two know what it's like trying to deal with Chaos and Mayhem. I have today to form a battle plan ... the maintenance manager here announced on Friday that over the next 3 weeks the fire alarm and sprinkler systems will be updated. This means workers will be working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, coming into our homes to do who-knows-what, and, for some reason, security patrols will be prowling the building 24/7.

A tiny kitchen fire in one apartment months ago, that did not even get the fire department here, did turn on the sprinkler system, at which time management learned they had no idea how to turn the sprinkler OFF, with the result that 8 stories were flooded. So, after months of deconstruction and reconstruction, they have decided that Christmastime is the perfect time to have the ENTIRE building inspected and updated. As well, they have decided that it is the best time to shut down one of the laundry rooms for "pipe repairs." Christmastime is the time when several of them take time off from work, conveniently forgetting that their workplace is OUR HOME and many of us have nowhere to escape to, or funds to get us there.

Oh, well, as I was thinking about this earlier, I realized there is ancient precedent for Chaos and Mayhem at Christmastime, and that I am not 9 months pregnant and forced to travel by donkey-back to a strange city only to find that my first baby must share the manger with the donkey because there is NO VACANCY at the inn. And I guess having workmen tromping around is no worse than having shepherds and foreigners riding up on camels in the middle of the night.

I have had the privilege of being in various stables on Christmas Eve, but I was there by my choice, and I could go home when my feet got cold enough even in wellies.

@jjraak your sub sounds delicious. I would've been right there with you, matching bite for bite -- at least through the first half. I'm glad you weren't torpedoed by your meter afterwards.

7.5 for me this morning, which is lower than yesterday. FBG is something I don't think any of us can fathom. But I am enjoying the images I'm getting here today of submarines and of surfers, @DJC3 .

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Niche post incoming - preamble: @DJC3 numbers seem to be recovering and badminton + surfing sounds good to me; @gennepher day under electric blanket, with comfort breaks, highly medicinal. 2 samples from finger @ 5.15 ish - 5.6 and 5.2 - who knows a) which was more accurate and b) where those end up when subjected to lab assay? Howsomever, this malarkey is very much a 5 day test not a T20 biff and giggle. I am facing 2 very wily opponents so respect needed. Dig in, show respect and accept scoring won't be easy - not clear what a good score is on this wicket. I have a preferred style but the score book never says how - just says how many. Two very timely passages this morning - very much part of this process for me - Zephaniah 3.14-20 and Philippians 4.4-7. Also interesting to note the surge in donations and sign ups to charities for homeless and food banks since Thursday - we may be in an occupied country but there is hope. Have a great day.

Talk of occupied countries is appropriate for any Christmas season, especially this season, in my current liivng situation ... the words of Zephaniah and Paul are comforting; thank you for posting chapter and verse.

This website is starting to freeze up and white out, so I shall leave now to find one that works ...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC that sounds a crazy plan to me. If its months since the sprinkler episode why not wait a few weeks and start early Jan and not when everyone has decorated for Christmas. Bad decisions like this and lack of consideration for folk really make me cross. I fully support your battle plan as I am sure the other residents will. Go get ‘em.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Mid Afternoon folks, sorry but still no (ab)normal greeting.

This morening a 7.3 awaited me and me's along wif the grandchildren.

We had planned a prechristmas BBQ and had a prechristmas BBQ. Luckily Mrs J was too preoccupied with the grandchildren, me and me's slipped a few misdemeanours past her including relocating some of her garish decorations hehehehe.
Well folks the day is almost done, I hope you made the most it.
Till tomorrow if and only if me and me's don't get caught.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sheringham Park was so cold today - even with my balaclava and lots and lots of layers (some of them thermal).

Had a lovely walk then a coffee in the courtyard cafe. I always remember to take the doggies lunch and water but often forget my chocolate. There is nothing I can eat in the cafe so was pleased I remembered my 20g of Montezuma 100%.

Browsing around the National Trust shop l found a pair of Thinsulate weather proof gloves. They are waterproof, snow and windproof and warmly lined - I couldn't resist them. I think I am in danger of becoming the Imelda Marcos of gloves.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your sub sounds delicious. I would've been right there with you, matching bite for bite -- at least through the first half. I'm glad you weren't torpedoed by your meter afterwards.

I see wot u dun there....:D;)

funny... but i gave a hug for the intrusions over the chrimbo period and the very poor timing of the inspections..:wideyed:

hope it's as unobtrusive as possible and flies by.x

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Browsing around the National Trust shop l found a pair of Thinsulate weather proof gloves. They are waterproof, snow and windproof and warmly lined - I couldn't resist them. I think I am in danger of becoming the Imelda Marcos of gloves.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
again in reply @DJC3 to the surfing.

IF in the water...( brr)
i hope it;'s a full on wet suit AND Gloves.

me and some mates did the docks in London one winter water bikes as it was then.. precursor to jet skis.
think ski-doos for the water.
all kit laid on..almost
Surprising how warm the wet suit could be, but oh my poor hands
no gloves left..but i'm a big rufty tufty biker, right.... so no worries lets GO....:rolleyes:

being a biker this should be easy right....turn lean, move on..

Nope, was IN the water more then out..also shamed to say i HIT a pontoon, full on..:bag:

dumping the horror stricken instructor and assistant into ice cold waters...hahaha...happy days.

So IF your out in the water..make sure you get gloves.
to repeat...make sure you get gloves.

My pinkies took absolutely AGES to defrost..:arghh:

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly insist on gloves. I couldn’t open your video in the other post but I remember Hawaii 5 O well. I think the term for someone like me surfing is a Barney, maybe Ill be a natural though!!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved badminton DJC would play at every opportunity...once at good old Brixton Rec played one of my good friends & her husband so me & he who must not be mentioned (it's a long story) thrashed them...sadly that was the end of a beautiful friendship.

Oh no! What a shame. I used to enjoy it, and I enjoyed it today, but I was still rubbish - the intervening 45 years haven’t improved my skill.
My hips are also aching at the thought of surfing!

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have today to form a battle plan ... the maintenance manager here announced on Friday that over the next 3 weeks the fire alarm and sprinkler systems will be updated. This means workers will be working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, coming into our homes to do who-knows-what, and, for some reason, security patrols will be prowling the building 24/7.

What an absolutely bonkers time of the year to do this work. Good luck with your battle plan.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy and @HarryBeau at least you two know what it's like trying to deal with Chaos and Mayhem. I have today to form a battle plan ... the maintenance manager here announced on Friday that over the next 3 weeks the fire alarm and sprinkler systems will be updated. This means workers will be working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, coming into our homes to do who-knows-what, and, for some reason, security patrols will be prowling the building 24/7.

A tiny kitchen fire in one apartment months ago, that did not even get the fire department here, did turn on the sprinkler system, at which time management learned they had no idea how to turn the sprinkler OFF, with the result that 8 stories were flooded. So, after months of deconstruction and reconstruction, they have decided that Christmastime is the perfect time to have the ENTIRE building inspected and updated. As well, they have decided that it is the best time to shut down one of the laundry rooms for "pipe repairs." Christmastime is the time when several of them take time off from work, conveniently forgetting that their workplace is OUR HOME and many of us have nowhere to escape to, or funds to get us there.

Oh, well, as I was thinking about this earlier, I realized there is ancient precedent for Chaos and Mayhem at Christmastime, and that I am not 9 months pregnant and forced to travel by donkey-back to a strange city only to find that my first baby must share the manger with the donkey because there is NO VACANCY at the inn. And I guess having workmen tromping around is no worse than having shepherds and foreigners riding up on camels in the middle of the night.

I have had the privilege of being in various stables on Christmas Eve, but I was there by my choice, and I could go home when my feet got cold enough even in wellies.

@jjraak your sub sounds delicious. I would've been right there with you, matching bite for bite -- at least through the first half. I'm glad you weren't torpedoed by your meter afterwards.

7.5 for me this morning, which is lower than yesterday. FBG is something I don't think any of us can fathom. But I am enjoying the images I'm getting here today of submarines and of surfers, @DJC3 .

Oh no! What a ridiculous time to start the work, quite unbelievable really. I hope someone checks they know how to turn the sprinklers off this time. You’re right, it could be worse but that doesn’t make it less of a pain in the neck.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.5 at 0800. Lots of good results today for everyone. @jjraak glad you enjoyed the sub and got away with it. Is it because you are doing very physical work I wonder. @Debandez I am not sure I am ready to abandon the cards yet but thanks for the offer. @ianpspurs I am so glad about the rise in donations to homeless charities. @HarryBeau who knew kittens like poinsettias maybe the vibrant colour attracts them though I think cats dont see colour like we do. @DJC3 enjoy the badminton, good for the bg if nothing else. Could you book the surfing for Sept when the sea is said to be warmest. Good luck! @gennepher talk of cats bladder holding powers reminded me of my old cat Ginger. The vet wanted a urine sample from him and sent me home with plastic granules to mimic cat litter to put in a clean tray. After several hours nothing, my bedtime came nothing, Ginger cross to be locked in so long. Got up next morning expecting rivers. Dry as the desert. Let him out because I thought this is not good for him. Later that day went to get a duster from my cleaning box, guess what pile of dusters soaked and smelly. He got a lot of respect after that.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay/get well. Stay safe.

The story of Ginger made me smile, what a wily old fellow.
Re surfing we are apparently booked in for June, when the sea will still be cold, I’d rather it was Sept. never mind, it’ll make me practice squats and lunges in readiness I hope.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see wot u dun there....:D;)

funny... but i gave a hug for the intrusions over the chrimbo period and the very poor timing of the inspections..:wideyed:

hope it's as unobtrusive as possible and flies by.x

Thank you. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I told the Sunday lobby clerk that if I happened to find $7,000 I would pack up the KittenCat and my guitar and take off for the duration. There is a mountain inn a couple of hours away, complete with horses. $7,000 should just about cover a 3 weeks' stay ...

p0114.gif

t2604.gif
t09139.gif

s0616.gif

t09134.gif
t3910.gif
t09156.gif

t09110.gif

g3001.gif

t09111.gif

t118047.gif

t07025.gif