newly diagnosed type1

frankyscouse

hi i am franky , i recently found out i a diabetic , they think its type1 as i have a lot of relatives on my mums side who have it , still waiting for the official bloods to confirm it .

must admit it was a ****** shock when i found out ,still getting used to it now ,
since i have changed what i eat , my levels have come down around the 6/7/8ish mark
i am on 16 units of the 24 hours insulin & was on 4 units 3 times a day with what i ate , now thats down to 2 units twice a day as my blood levels have been pretty steady .

just want to say hi and learn off you guys and girls
so hi franky from liverpool .

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi frankyscouse and welcome to the forum. I’m a type 2 but I’m sure there’ll be some type 1s along soon to compare notes.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @frankyscouse You are in what we call a honeymoon period right now because your pancreas tries to still make some insulin for a bit. So your amounts you need can easily change. It can kind of be a trick to figure out dosing because of it.

Good luck! It soon becomes a habit to deal with, but a big learning curve at the beginning!!

localshop

Morning. I’m new here myself but everyone seems very nice and helpful. Good luck getting used to living with it, and remember all your prescriptions are free from now on

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @frankyscouse and welcome :)

Its a shock alright but the sooner you can grasp the basics the better, lots of help and support here so shout if you need anything.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i am franky , i recently found out i a diabetic , they think its type1 as i have a lot of relatives on my mums side who have it , still waiting for the official bloods to confirm it .

must admit it was a ****** shock when i found out ,still getting used to it now ,
since i have changed what i eat , my levels have come down around the 6/7/8ish mark
i am on 16 units of the 24 hours insulin & was on 4 units 3 times a day with what i ate , now thats down to 2 units twice a day as my blood levels have been pretty steady .

hi frankyscouse welcome to the forum im also from liverpool and a type1 been diagnosed for 2 1/2 years now keep checking in on the forum its great ask questions have some banter or just have a read around :)

frankyscouse

Hi @frankyscouse You are in what we call a honeymoon period right now because your pancreas tries to still make some insulin for a bit. So your amounts you need can easily change. It can kind of be a trick to figure out dosing because of it.

Good luck! It soon becomes a habit to deal with, but a big learning curve at the beginning!!
yeah i did get told about the honeymoon period , so not getting my hopes up.
thanx maria

frankyscouse

Only if you have a valid medical exemption certificate ... and you live in the UK.
Your GP surgery should have the form to apply for the certificate.

Not paying for prescriptions without a certificate can result in an expensive fine.

And, whilst completing beaucracy, don’t forget to tell the DVLA and your car insurer. You will need a different driving license which needs renewal every few years.
ty kim ,will do.

Reactions: Kim Possible

localshop

Only if you have a valid medical exemption certificate ... and you live in the UK.
Your GP surgery should have the form to apply for the certificate.

Not paying for prescriptions without a certificate can result in an expensive fine.

And, whilst completing beaucracy, don’t forget to tell the DVLA and your car insurer. You will need a different driving license which needs renewal every few years.

The OP lives in Liverpool which I believe is still in the UK

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @frankyscouse and welcome!

I nearly spat out my coffee when i read at the bottom, your post was edited for profanity. Really made me chuckle as i feel like i'm constantly swearing about my diabetes :D

I'm from Accrington, so not too far from you!

You sound like you've hit the deck running, so to speak. You've done pretty good to get your readings steady :) once you get settled and know what insulin you need to take - remember that Type 1 is not limiting on what you eat. You don't have to change your diet, so long as you can balance it with your insulin intake you will be fine :) I eat all sorts of rubbish - you just got to know how it's going to affect you which you will understand in time.

I'd recommend the Carbs and Cals app on your phone if you're figuring out your insulin doses by carb intake :) good luck!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome. I am a Southern **** as all my Northern mates liked to describe me when I studied up in Newcastle!
Welcome to the Sugar Club which you seem to have joined later than many which is a good thing. How's the diabetic care in Liverpool?

frankyscouse

Hi @frankyscouse and welcome!

I nearly spat out my coffee when i read at the bottom, your post was edited for profanity. Really made me chuckle as i feel like i'm constantly swearing about my diabetes :D

I'm from Accrington, so not too far from you!

You sound like you've hit the deck running, so to speak. You've done pretty good to get your readings steady :) once you get settled and know what insulin you need to take - remember that Type 1 is not limiting on what you eat. You don't have to change your diet, so long as you can balance it with your insulin intake you will be fine :) I eat all sorts of rubbish - you just got to know how it's going to affect you which you will understand in time.

I'd recommend the Carbs and Cals app on your phone if you're figuring out your insulin doses by carb intake :) good luck!
haha cheers mate , i never realized i sweared to be honest ,happens to me all the time ha, got told i have high cholesterol so i might as well make the full switch to a low carb plan , will deffo download that app .
cheers amigo .

frankyscouse

Hi and welcome. I am a Southern **** as all my Northern mates liked to describe me when I studied up in Newcastle!
Welcome to the Sugar Club which you seem to have joined later than many which is a good thing. How's the diabetic care in Liverpool?
hi nicole thanx , very good got a crash course on what to do , which was great but also overwhelming
had a random blood test which showed i was diabetic then the journey begun

Reactions: NicoleC1971