Nuts! [emoji16]

Paulm80

So since diagnosis been eating a lot of almonds (4gs of carb per 100gram) love them but was getting a bit bored of them so went for some salted pistachio mix instead, problem was I misread the label and thought it was 4grams per 100 when it was actually 17! So that’s 34 gs in a sitting!!
Panicked waited a little while to test (was 5.1 before I eat them) 90 mins later 5.0, a further hour later 4.8!
Happy days
Feeling cocky I brought a big bag a chilli nuts to watch the footie the following week again slightly higher carb
Before 4.9
After 4.8
So it seems nuts have no impact on my bg!
This is very good news with Christmas coming

Hotpepper20000

So since diagnosis been eating a lot of almonds (4gs of carb per 100gram) love them but was getting a bit bored of them so went for some salted pistachio mix instead, problem was I misread the label and thought it was 4grams per 100 when it was actually 17! So that’s 34 gs in a sitting!!
Panicked waited a little while to test (was 5.1 before I eat them) 90 mins later 5.0, a further hour later 4.8!
Happy days
Feeling cocky I brought a big bag a chilli nuts to watch the footie the following week again slightly higher carb
Before 4.9
After 4.8
I know that for some people the total amount of carbs no matter the source is important. For me it is where those carbs come from.
Any grains, beans and even quinoa, and corn spike my BG no matter the carb amount. Carrots and beets to a lesser extent
The same amount of carbs in nuts, and above ground vegetables make little difference.
So that’s why we say eat to your meter. We are all different.

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

I know that for some people the total amount of carbs no matter the source is important. For me it is where those carbs come from.
Any grains, beans and even quinoa, and corn spike my BG no matter the carb amount. Carrots and beets to a lesser extent
The same amount of carbs in nuts, and above ground vegetables make little difference.
So that’s why we say eat to your meter. We are all different.

You see carrots are usually one of the things that push me into 6.s,

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are indeed all different, I have carrots several times a week with my meat or fish, (a good potato substitute I find). No more than about 70-80 gm, and they seem to do nothing to my BG levels! Before and after (@ the two hour mark) levels show a rise of up to 0.5mmol and sometimes even a fall. No idea though what part carrots have in the overall context of the meal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brazil’s give the the shits! You’re only meant to eat like 5 a day or something ain’t you?
Ah - you might be overdoing the nuts - I take 4 brazils, maybe 5 if they are small and chop them up to add to my salad.

Paulm80

Ah - you might be overdoing the nuts - I take 4 brazils, maybe 5 if they are small and chop them up to add to my salad.

Yes it took like 3 times after eating a bag of them then all afternoon on the toilet before the penny dropped!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brazil’s give the the *****! You’re only meant to eat like 5 a day or something ain’t you?

I don’t know about that, but Brazil nuts are very high in Selenium, which can be toxic in large quantities, albeit apparently very healthy in moderate amounts. Google Brazil nuts and selenium toxicity for more info. I eat 2-3 at a time max.

all nuts seem to have little to no impact on my BG.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy days
Before 4.9
After 4.8
I too have found that nuts are my magic food. :) Yay for yummy magic foods! My CGM doesn't budge even when I upped from 1 ounce to 2 ounces of daily walnuts.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
mmmmmm chocolate brazils....with a nice bolus to compensate :) :_)