Are there any downsides to low carb diet?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Over 6 years of LCHF with up to 100g of carb a day. Now medication free. Weight, blood pressure etc all reduced, HbA1c in normal range for more than 5 years. Much fitter, healthier and stronger, moods much more stable. However, LDL much higher although ratios still acceptable and some possible kidney problems. These could have been due to previously uncontrolled blood glucose levels.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb diet is a winner any day. For me there is no downside whatsoever.

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a moderately low carb diet of about 75g a day since I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I didn't have any diabetes symptoms but hopefully it will mean I avoid getting any in future, also I lost some weight and clothes fit better. Maybe because I didn't have any drastic changes, low carb wasn't the miracle that some others seem to have experienced. I haven't had any medical downsides but just keeping to a low carb diet is a nuisance, I don't find it particularly difficult but it is a constant annoyance having to think about my food rather than just having what I want. No doubt some of the more evangelical members would say that they love their new diet, wouldn't change if they could etc etc. I would go back to eating bread, potatoes and pasta immediately if I could, I am not going to, and I will probably keep to low carb diet for the rest of my life, but I am not going to pretend I like it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a moderately low carb diet of about 75g a day since I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I didn't have any diabetes symptoms but hopefully it will mean I avoid getting any in future, also I lost some weight and clothes fit better. Maybe because I didn't have any drastic changes, low carb wasn't the miracle that some others seem to have experienced. I haven't had any medical downsides but just keeping to a low carb diet is a nuisance, I don't find it particularly difficult but it is a constant annoyance having to think about my food rather than just having what I want. No doubt some of the more evangelical members would say that they love their new diet, wouldn't change if they could etc etc. I would go back to eating bread, potatoes and pasta immediately if I could, I am not going to, and I will probably keep to low carb diet for the rest of my life, but I am not going to pretend I like it.
It’s only been about 10 months for me but if I were to post on this thread it would be along similar lines to MrPot. (Though by contrast, I seemed to acquire a number of symptoms on relatively lowish HbA1c figures).

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started to realize just how bad carbs were for me, personally, when I left home at 18, back in 1969.
By the time I was working for Lyons Tetley in the early 1970s I had formulated a hypotheses that I could metabolize cellulose, so rapidly did my weight increase when I ate starches. Dr. Howard, the creator of the Cambridge diet came to the pilot plant in Market Harborough to get his powders mixed and packed and I experimented on myself to see if I was right - no - no cellulose in the mix, but the amount of carbs was higher than I now know that I can cope with.
The way of eating I found to work was low carb, though I drank half a pint of full fat milk as that was considered an essential part of any diet.
Being quite muscular I was considered overweight, even with a 24 inch waist. My diet was considered unwise - I have had doctors shouting and even screaming at me about it. When pregnant for the second time I was even threatened with being taken to hospital and 'fed properly' if I did not start to eat more starchy foods. I ate low carb whenever I could, often for years at a time, as I learned just to avoid doctors and their diet sheets.
As the years passed, and the diet sheets were insisted upon, I got heavier and fatter, less muscle strength, less energy - even my mane of dark glossy hair reduced - at diagnosis after an intensely carb heavy low fat low calorie diet to lower cholesterol, I felt very old. Now back to low carb yet again, three years on I feel great - the only thing which is not all that much improved is my hair.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have maintained my Hba1c at non diabetic levels for 7 years on between 100-130g carbs per day. Whilst I have adjusted my diet from low fat to full fat and less fruit ie only berries and occasional orange or apple I still eat bread and potatoes, albeit in smaller portions, reheated pasta and indulge in the odd cake or two. Eating out is not usually a problem as I can normally find something low carbish.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only downside for me about 10 years low carb I can't put weight on !!!!
Carol

Reactions: ianf0ster

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I debated whether to add to this thread as I am a mere newbie to low-carb compared to those who have commented already. I started 7 weeks ago. As a 57 year old male, assessed as clinically obese and a BMI in the high 30's with a HbA1c of 42, I decided to ditch the carbs. After a few days the brain fog/headache descended at the same time my Carbs & Cals book arrived where I could more accurately track my food and found I was actually eating Keto (less than 20g of carbs per day). I stuck with it and the weight started falling off, but the brain fog continued along with the occasional bout of thudding heart beat. More research and I suspected it was an electrolyte imbalance.

I started on electrolyte supplements and the headaches went, but other symptoms seemed to linger along with what seemed like the worst case of tinnitus ever. That pulsating hiss seemd so loud during quiet periods! Off to the GP who remarked favourably on my weight loss and ordered a full blood workup having check my blood pressure which had fallen slightly ( I am on medication for high BP, Gout and high Cholesterol). He mentioned the major changes my aging body was going through and said the symptoms could be as a result of this.

Six weeks into my new eating regime, I've lost a stone and a half, my BP is down (my medication duly adjusted), my cholesterol is down (3.3 to 3.2, my medication adjusted too), but more importantly my HbA1c dropped from 42 to 38. My doc remarked that all my bloodwork was within acceptable limits and I should be happy about it. Believe me, I am over the moon!! But, I still feel brain foggy most of the time. My heart thumps in my chest occasionally and the tinnitus is driving me crazy. I thought I was supposed to feel these bursts of energy and increased mental clarity. Well, sorry it just ain't happening for me!

*I've just edited this post as I thought I came across as being a bit conceited and should just be happy at my progress. Believe me, I am! I just wish I could revel in it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TerryJK did the dr check potassium magnesium and sodium. I appreciate your headaches improved but these symptoms do sound like electrolytes. Increasing foods containing these and making sure the supplements are bioavailable not being peed straight out as cheaper ones often are is worth checking. Telling you it’s just aging isn’t good enough in my book.

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TerryJK did the dr check potassium magnesium and sodium. I appreciate your headaches improved but these symptoms do sound like electrolytes. Increasing foods containing these and making sure the supplements are bioavailable not being peed straight out as cheaper ones often are is worth checking. Telling you it’s just aging isn’t good enough in my book.
Hi and thanks for your reply. My levels of Sodium, Calcium and Potassium were within the specified guidelines, as per the blood work-up. Couldn't find an entry for Magnesium. I eat fairly well, as far as I can tell. Breakfast is usually a combination of eggs (fried, scrambled or as an omelette), bacon, mushroom, spinach or cheese. Twice a week it's berries, FF Greek yoghurt and nuts. Lunch is a medium bowl of salad leaves and tomatoes with either cold chicken, sausage, mackerel, sardines, pate, etc. Dinner is meat and veg, ie: chicken, high-meat sausages, pork chop, Angus beef burger and any combo from brocolli, cauliflower, sprouts, green beans, cabbage. I normally sprinkle some cheese on the veg for additional fat and the occasional 90% dark chocolate, but only as a treat. Sounds a bit boring as I'm not much of a chef or really into recipes, but I enjoy the food as it's natural and tasty.

I guess I'll take a look into the supplements and perhaps up my intake of water/fluids,

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and thanks for your reply. My levels of Sodium, Calcium and Potassium were within the specified guidelines, as per the blood work-up. Couldn't find an entry for Magnesium. I eat fairly well, as far as I can tell. Breakfast is usually a combination of eggs (fried, scrambled or as an omelette), bacon, mushroom, spinach or cheese. Twice a week it's berries, FF Greek yoghurt and nuts. Lunch is a medium bowl of salad leaves and tomatoes with either cold chicken, sausage, mackerel, sardines, pate, etc. Dinner is meat and veg, ie: chicken, high-meat sausages, pork chop, Angus beef burger and any combo from brocolli, cauliflower, sprouts, green beans, cabbage. I normally sprinkle some cheese on the veg for additional fat and the occasional 90% dark chocolate, but only as a treat. Sounds a bit boring as I'm not much of a chef or really into recipes, but I enjoy the food as it's natural and tasty.

I guess I'll take a look into the supplements and perhaps up my intake of water/fluids,
Magnesium is usually an add on test rather than in the standard panel. I ask for it just to be safe as electrolytes are a bit more tricky sometimes on this way of eating. To be fair though even without supplements or deliberate choices for magnesium they have stayed pretty good (unlike many other levels but that’s another tale unrelated to diabetes and low carb)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I've not had any negative affects physically, but I find it expensive and difficult to get enough healthy fats.
Agree about the higher cost, but no difficulty with getting healthy fats for me.
I eat lot of nuts, avocados and oily fish. Plus full fat yoghurt, butter and cheese. I use cold pressed rapeseed oil or ghee for frying.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might depend on the things that you are taking please always remember to too much is always bad.
Hello leobadilla, and welcome.

Please can you fill in the profile information? This helps people replying to you.