Time to test

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A quick one. We all know various foods spike our numbers but I find 2 hours after weetabix or 2 slices granary bread my 5.8 ish is only maybe 6.2. Does that mean I’m ok ?

Paulm80

A quick one. We all know various foods spike our numbers but I find 2 hours after weetabix or 2 slices granary bread my 5.8 ish is only maybe 6.2. Does that mean I’m ok ?

I’m no expert but I’d say that’s a pretty normal reaction

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
That result makes it seem that you are Ok with wheat at least - lucky you !

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest have you tried again at 3hrs in case of a delayed spike? What was the before eating reading, is that the 5.8?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if my 1 and 3 hrs tests were also just fine then I guess I’d assume I was incredibly lucky and unusual and fine with it.

But I would test every now and again to make sure it stayed that way.

I’ve had the odd slip and my body seemed to have an huge insulin surge and actually took me lower than typical in overreaction. I don’t consider that a good response either and try not to repeat it. I want low insulin levels (unmeasurable for me I know) that responds appropriately - so I rely on the second degree readings bgl gives indicating what insulin is doing.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be interesting to see your 1hr reading, on the rare occasion I have gone off plan (haven't done it for years) my 2hr & 3hr readings would be acceptable but my 1 hour can be horrendous and in double figures.

lengward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To test the effect of food you should test approximately 1 hour after you started eating. By waiting for 2 hours you are completely missing the main event - the spike in your blood glucose. Spikes are not good for you. Don't take any notice of NHS staff who recommend only testing after 2hrs by which time your levels may have significantly dropped.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To test the effect of food you should test approximately 1 hour after you started eating. By waiting for 2 hours you are completely missing the main event - the spike in your blood glucose. Spikes are not good for you. Don't take any notice of NHS staff who recommend only testing after 2hrs by which time your levels may have significantly dropped.

Everybody spikes after eating something, diabetic or not. If the posters 2 hour reading is right back down as in this case then any spike at the one hour mark has been brief and I would doubt whether it got to such a high level as to cause any damage anyway. I agree that prolonged spikes can cause damage and yes a massive spike into the teens after one hour would be cause for concern but I do think we need to take things into perspective otherwise we can give the impression that ANY rise is problematic.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I would stay away from Weetabix. It dumps a heap of sugar into your blood very quickly. Even if this doesn't spike you much, it's a big strain on your pancreas to keep up with this. As I understand, anyway.