Metformin

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have for 3 years taken only one tablet a day but suddenly the digestive problems have returned. Has anyone else had this slow symptom return?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard of drug side effects developing after a time being ok with them. However a few things to check first, are you taking your tablet with a meal? And also have you recently raised your carb level as that can affect how well Metformin is tolerated. If neither of these then it’s worth getting a check up with your GP I think.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you been checking your blood sugars? Has the GP? Has your diet changed? When did you last see your DN?

Over time, some people find their blood sugar creeps up although low carbers can usually avoid this. In past before people found they could manage T2 by diet doctors assumed that diabetes was nearly always progressive and overtime they prescribed stronger doses, then switched to stronger drugs.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have heard of drug side effects developing after a time being ok with them. However a few things to check first, are you taking your tablet with a meal? And also have you recently raised your carb level as that can affect how well Metformin is tolerated. If neither of these then it’s worth getting a check up with your GP I think.

Always take it after breakfast. I may have increased my carb level slightly and am seeing doc this evening.

Reactions: Rachox

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you been checking your blood sugars? Has the GP? Has your diet changed? When did you last see your DN?

Over time, some people find their blood sugar creeps up although low carbers can usually avoid this. In past before people found they could manage T2 by diet doctors assumed that diabetes was nearly always progressive and overtime they prescribed stronger doses, then switched to stronger drugs.

I do check and recently an average has been 6.2. Slightly up! Had my hba1c test this morning and seeing dn next month

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would ask for Metformin SR (Slow Release) anyway - it's much kinder

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went to docs in evening. He’s diagnosed IBS with a simple drug to cure. Also if my hba1c is still less than 6.5 to stop the one metformin a day. May need a little more diet control but worth it I think

Reactions: Rachox