Worried about sat fat intake and strokes?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought it was sugar which caused the inflammation in the arteries and the subsequent damage.

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought it was sugar which caused the inflammation in the arteries and the subsequent damage.
Agreed but many here think sat fat is bad...whereas it appears to be protective..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These are prospective cohort studies which I take to mean associational rather than RCTs so following a big group of people, tracking their diet and seeing what happens.
However I'd assume that the absence of any increased incidence of stroke to again disprove things and even suggest further lines of enquiry even if the only likely source of funding is Big Cheese!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for posting that link @bulkbiker I lost it from my references list. The last one in the associated articles is also interesting as it was done by Prof Zhu, who is a renowned scientist in the diabetes field and who has produced some very enlightened reports of yore.
I have seen an independant analysis of that particular paper by other mathematicians since the statistics method it uses is new and a different way of doing meta studies. It came out with excellent credentials. The use of forest plots (aka Blobby Charts) is a good way of instantly showing if data is robust or is unsound as opposed to the older CI confidence Intervals.and relative risk methods. This was the paper that put butter back onto my shopping list.

Reactions: jpscloud

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I feel we are living through a transition. Evidence is growing that saturated fat is at worst, neutral and at best, good for us. The conventional medical world is finding it hard to accept that fat was wrongly demonised for decades when carbohydrates were the real culprit, but the evidence is only very slowly shifting against them. At this point in time no one can be sure that eating a high fat diet won't increase the chance of a stroke or a heart attack, but there are plenty on this site, myself included, who feel an awful lot healthier since we cut out carbs and increased our fat intake. At the end of the day, it's your life and your choice.