High blood sugar levels

SteveRow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anybody know why blood sugar levels can’t be controlled?
My father-in-law (type 2) is currently in hospital with blood sugar levels of 15 in morning and 28 in the afternoon, his medication has been changed and has lowers it to 14 (am)and then 24 (pm). He was diagnosed a few months ago with Alzheimer’s and we think he hasn’t been injecting himself for sometime. I find it bizarre that after a month in hospital it appears it still isn’t under control and he can’t be allowed home until it is. Any advice or ideas would be helpful, I have searched and wondered if it could be HHNS, he’s ketones appear to be fine

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Most of us control our blood glucose by cutting down on carbohydrates. This is going to be difficult for your Dad whilst he is in hospital and also if he has altzeimers. Who takes care of him when he is at home?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hospital food is not 'diabetic friendly', it contains far too many refined carbs and the doctors and nurses have been trained that it is important to eat carbs with every meal - this when Carbs contain no essential nutrients not found in fats or proteins, plus they spike blood glucose the most and the fastest.

One other problem is that infection/illness/stress/lack of exercise plus certain medications are all known to increase Blood Glucose.

Reactions: HSSS

SteveRow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the responses, he is looked after at home by his daughter and I believe that he most probably has been taking his medication for many months. Regarding controlling it by cutting down carbs that’s something I didn’t know, as for hospital food totally agree as I did know pasta wasn’t ideal and they were giving him Lasagne.
Today his levels were 8 & 21, just wondered if we are missing something obvious
Thanks

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thanks for the responses, he is looked after at home by his daughter and I believe that he most probably has been taking his medication for many months. Regarding controlling it by cutting down carbs that’s something I didn’t know, as for hospital food totally agree as I did know pasta wasn’t ideal and they were giving him Lasagne.
Today his levels were 8 & 21, just wondered if we are missing something obvious
Thanks
I agree with the other replies. Hospital diets are decidedly unhealthy and not just because they contain carbs. You could try taking meals in for him for a few days. Unprocessed meats, oily fish, cheese, nuts, seeds and salads are all low carb. I live on these foods and my BG rarely goes above 7. The simple fact is that many type two diabetics can control their BG levels just by eating the right foods. Be prepared for resistance from the hospital staff. Regrettably, they generally think that a diet which contains more fat and less carbohydrate is unhealthy.