official type1

frankyscouse

well i got my blood results today & i am officially type 1
a bit gutted even thou they did say from day 1 i was prob type 1,
false hope because i have not been taking my mealtimes insulin as my BGL have been stable and good ,but as they and on here have told me about the honeymoon period .

i am in a lot better place than when i got diagnosed a month ago , just have to get into the lifestyle and routine now .

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@frankyscouse Take it easy on yourself and one day at a time, the honeymoon can help greatly as you get used to testing and injecting but it does all become second nature in time. Also don’t be afraid to ask questions and learn as much as you can, knowledge is a powerful tool :)

Reactions: frankyscouse

steamerpoint

60790286-crushed-tischtennisball-auf-weißem-hintergrund.jpg

well i got my blood results today & i am officially type 1
a bit gutted even thou they did say from day 1 i was prob type 1,
false hope because i have not been taking my mealtimes insulin as my BGL have been stable and good ,but as they and on here have told me about the honeymoon period .

i am in a lot better place than when i got diagnosed a month ago , just have to get into the lifestyle and routine now .

I found it quite hard in the beginning as I'm sure most did.

The honeymoon phase will end once all your beta cells are lost, so use this time to learn the basics as bigger BGL swings will inevitably come.

If I had to go through it again, I would want to understand carb counting from the off and how fatty foods take longer to raise blood sugars and takes longer to be digested, whereas surgery food spikes blood sugars quickly and is digested quickly! I spent the first year with either very high blood sugars or trying to fight hypos with little in the middle!

Try to get the use of a continuous glucose monitor for a week or two. It will open your eyes how you body behaves to insulin and certain foods!

Diabetes treatments are so much better today than they were when I was diagnosed 25-years ago. The doctors and nurses have a much better idea of the disease.

On the bright side, T1 allows you to eat pretty much what you want, unlike T2, though to protect your cardio system, try to avoid too much fat and sugar. I keep hearing that your first years as a diabetic sets you on a long term trajectory. Like the bullet from a gun, once it has left the barrel, your ability to influence it's direction is lost. If your blood sugars are too high in the early years, you put yourself on a path to more problems later, whereas some decent control in the beginning can lead to less problems later.
I'm not convinced that like smoking, you can't correct poor health choices later, but I have heard the early trajectory theory many times now from different sources, so maybe there is some truth to it!

Another thing I have heard is that running too low frequently is worse than running high for longer!
Apparently, when the blood sugars are low, the red blood cells contract and like a dented table tennis ball, creases are formed to the outer case of the cell and this can lead to cell damage! Basically, if you are having hypos too often (more than two or three per week), you need to look again at your insulin ratios!

Good luck.

Chris

Reactions: frankyscouse

frankyscouse

View attachment 37247

I found it quite hard in the beginning as I'm sure most did.

The honeymoon phase will end once all your beta cells are lost, so use this time to learn the basics as bigger BGL swings will inevitably come.

If I had to go through it again, I would want to understand carb counting from the off and how fatty foods take longer to raise blood sugars and takes longer to be digested, whereas surgery food spikes blood sugars quickly and is digested quickly! I spent the first year with either very high blood sugars or trying to fight hypos with little in the middle!

Try to get the use of a continuous glucose monitor for a week or two. It will open your eyes how you body behaves to insulin and certain foods!

Diabetes treatments are so much better today than they were when I was diagnosed 25-years ago. The doctors and nurses have a much better idea of the disease.

On the bright side, T1 allows you to eat pretty much what you want, unlike T2, though to protect your cardio system, try to avoid too much fat and sugar. I keep hearing that your first years as a diabetic sets you on a long term trajectory. Like the bullet from a gun, once it has left the barrel, your ability to influence it's direction is lost. If your blood sugars are too high in the early years, you put yourself on a path to more problems later, whereas some decent control in the beginning can lead to less problems later.
I'm not convinced that like smoking, you can't correct poor health choices later, but I have heard the early trajectory theory many times now from different sources, so maybe there is some truth to it!

Another thing I have heard is that running too low frequently is worse than running high for longer!
Apparently, when the blood sugars are low, the red blood cells contract and like a dented table tennis ball, creases are formed to the outer case of the cell and this can lead to cell damage! Basically, if you are having hypos too often (more than two or three per week), you need to look again at your insulin ratios!

Good luck.

Chris
cheers chris