What alcohol is it OK to drink over Christmas with T2 please?

Pinkaura57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, 1st time posting...
Can anyone tell me what alcohol is OK to drink over Christmas please? I have T2.
Thanks in advance for your time and consideration

Reactions: Vic fletch

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most definitely if you are not on meds. However some meds you have to be careful with due to hypos - not sure myself which ones but I’m sure someone will be along to advise.
Be careful which drinks though. Spirits and dry wines are the best but low cal mixers and not normal mixers. Avoid most beers.

Last edited:

Pinkaura57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was looking at the 2 links sent and one of them is warning of the dangers of diet drinks... I thought they were OK.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't like beer sorry, I can drink vodka but not sure what to put with it
Goes alright with diet Pepsi I have found as does Bacardi I find that being rather tasteless vodka goes with just about anything I have in the past opened a bottle and dropped a vanilla pod or two in then replaced the cap and leave it for a few days or so, get a nice vanilla flovoured Vodka that way.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Red wine here! And with the turkey, white wine - of course!! Seasons greetings.

Reactions: porl69

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I’ve got coors light lager and that will be followed by a few vodka and diet cokes as @Tipetoo says why change a good habit

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I normally drink red wine or Prosecco but do occasionally have a gin and diet tonic. None of these seem to affect me unless i over-do it.

Paulm80

I drink whiskey and Diet Coke. Quite a lot of it on weekends often wake up to 3s after a heavy night so may not be wise if your on meds but I’m Med free and will be drinking most nights over the festive e season
Red wine also seems to have little effect on my bg or cognac
Wouldn’t touch beer or cider though

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine all the way for me, with an occasional Prosecco. I have a glass of red every evening. There will be more than that over Christmas!

Reactions: Barrowbakers