A level text book. Diabetes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Incredibly oversimplified to the point of being wrong.
:banghead:

Attachments

• B934C54C-9D1C-4E58-8D46-E2E1C83DB691.jpeg
    B934C54C-9D1C-4E58-8D46-E2E1C83DB691.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 325

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops!!! Could explain why we, as having diabetes, regardless of type, find HCPs don't seem to have much idea about diabetes??? ;)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve volunteered to go speak to the teacher concerned but am afraid any exam questions would mark and correct answers as wrong given this.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One of the first things my physiology tutor asked of us was who has A level biology next thing he said was well forget it, it's what you learn from now that counts.

Reactions: HSSS

Dark Horse

it's not unusual for 'A'level textbooks to have several missing words/typos in them. Inserting the word 'typically' would improve the sentence. You could write to the publishers suggesting that so they consider it for the next edition.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Inserting the word 'typically' would improve the sentence. You could write to the publishers suggesting that so they consider it for the next edition.
Except that T1 isn't typically occurring early in life, with half or so newly diagnosed being grown ups.

I agree that it would improve the sentence by a little but if you're going to write to the publishers I'd suggest something that's actually right...

Dark Horse

Except that T1 isn't typically occurring early in life, with half or so newly diagnosed being grown ups.

I agree that it would improve the sentence by a little but if you're going to write to the publishers I'd suggest something that's actually right...
Yes, but 'early in life' doesn't just mean children, it includes young adults as well, in which case 'typically' would be correct.

However, I agree it could be open to misinterpretation and I would certainly give a fuller explanation if writing to the publishers which would include the information that over 40% of diagnoses occur in adults over the age of 30. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171130214925.htm

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Type2 paragraph consists of 4 sentences.
Each one is inaccurate, either without necessary qualifiers, or further explanation, or just plain wrong.

So much for education, eh?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: HSSS