Does low carb work for all diabetics

cornton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried cutting out bread and sugars etc and it doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone tell me if low carb works for all diabetics? I have lowered my A1c's but I use a Dexcom and thought that was why they went down. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cornton

Your profile says that you are type 2 and on insulin. Is that correct?
You will find that people on different meds, and with different types of diabetes react differently to adjusting their carbs (and their medications).
So you will get different answers from forum members depending on your personal situation.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Short answer : No - not all. LCHF or LCHP is very difficult indeed for Vegans and for some Vegetarians.
Long answer: What is your definition of 'works' ?
I only know of 3 non-surgical ways of controlling Insulin (and T2 = Carb Intolerance = Insulin Resistance - so more Insulin tends to make it worse). Over the longer term (>2yrs) they all have similar (cf. 35% to 60%) successful T2 remission rates for those who can stick with them over the long term.
That 2nd half of the last sentence is key - because there is no 'cure' non whatsoever, not even Surgery.

If you are on Insulin (or Insulin producing medication, then you can't go Low Carb (or any of the others) without matching your Insulin dose to your Carb intake - so it is harder for you to do than for others on either no meds or on just Metformin.

The 3 ways are:
1. Low Carb (with either High Fat or High Protein) - i.e. count carbs not Calories and eat what your Blood Glucose meter tells you is OK for you. -This is sustainable for the vast majority of people.
2. Fasting. This can range from 'Time restricted Eating' aka Intermittent Fasting e.g. 16:8 or 18:6 through One Meal A Day (OMAD) through alternate day fasting, though various longer fasting plans. - Shorter fasts are sustainable, but longer ones are not sustainable after initial weight loss.
3. Traditional or new style Calorie restricted Diets e.g. Weight Watchers, Slimming World etc. through to Newcastle Diet (DIRECT) or Michaels Mosely's 'Blood Sugar Diet. - None of these are sustainable and a transition of some other method needs to be done for the longer term. Worse still the traditional (an possibly even the new style ones are likely to reduce metabolic rate (semi-permanently) making more restriction required in order to maintain the weight loss - or even maintain the ideal weight.

Reactions: Oldvatr

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I think scientifically it works in that fewer carbs means less glucose sloshing about so less insulin being produced or injected BUT there is so much more to it than that. There could be a zillion other things affecting it all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a lot more to low carb than bread and sugars. Are you cutting down on all carbs or just these?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer : No - not all. LCHF or LCHP is very difficult indeed for Vegans and for some Vegetarians.
Long answer: What is your definition of 'works' ?
I only know of 3 non-surgical ways of controlling Insulin (and T2 = Carb Intolerance = Insulin Resistance - so more Insulin tends to make it worse). Over the longer term (>2yrs) they all have similar (cf. 35% to 60%) successful T2 remission rates for those who can stick with them over the long term.
That 2nd half of the last sentence is key - because there is no 'cure' non whatsoever, not even Surgery.

If you are on Insulin (or Insulin producing medication, then you can't go Low Carb (or any of the others) without matching your Insulin dose to your Carb intake - so it is harder for you to do than for others on either no meds or on just Metformin.

The 3 ways are:
1. Low Carb (with either High Fat or High Protein) - i.e. count carbs not Calories and eat what your Blood Glucose meter tells you is OK for you. -This is sustainable for the vast majority of people.
2. Fasting. This can range from 'Time restricted Eating' aka Intermittent Fasting e.g. 16:8 or 18:6 through One Meal A Day (OMAD) through alternate day fasting, though various longer fasting plans. - Shorter fasts are sustainable, but longer ones are not sustainable after initial weight loss.
3. Traditional or new style Calorie restricted Diets e.g. Weight Watchers, Slimming World etc. through to Newcastle Diet (DIRECT) or Michaels Mosely's 'Blood Sugar Diet. - None of these are sustainable and a transition of some other method needs to be done for the longer term. Worse still the traditional (an possibly even the new style ones are likely to reduce metabolic rate (semi-permanently) making more restriction required in order to maintain the weight loss - or even maintain the ideal weight.

Hi Ian,

While I agree with some of your generalisations, you make some definite statements that make me uncomfortable, and I would urge you to provide some references for them.

Examples of the things I think you need to reference:
- the sources and studies that support your claim that they 'all have similar (cf. 35% to 60%) successful T2 remission rates for those who can stick with them over the long term'.
- an explanation of what you are referring to as a 'cure' and what you are not.
- what makes you think that LC is sustainable for 'the vast majority of people'.
- what your evidence is that fasting results in 'a similar remission rate'. I would love to see your source studies for that.
- what makes you state that WW and SW result in 'successful T2 remission rates'

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with your statements, because I have not seen the evidence (studies, research and other verifiable evidence) to either confirm or deny your statements. But I would very much like to see that evidence, because without it, your statements are unfounded.

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me if low carb works for all diabetics?
Hi Cornton in theory yes but there are some people on here who don't eat any carbs at all and some who eat mostly carbs as with everything it boils down to the individual.

Is it possible you are eating more carb/ sugar than you think?
Can you give us a typical days meals to see? ;)
:bag:

cornton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your responses. To There is no Spoon my daily diet is similar to this:
Breakfast: two spoon of greek yogurt and six blackberries
Lunch: tomato with 1/2 an avocado and mozza cheese and 1/4 of an asian pear
Supper: salad with maybe canned tuna, an egg or some protein. I use oil and vinegar as a dressing on the salad and blueberries and a little yogurt on top.

I don't have the hungry or full sensation. So eating is basically to keep me alive. I sometimes skip breakfast. I hope this helps and I will look forward to your response. I know I am probably doing this low carb thing all wrong but I am trying. Have been diabetic for twelve years.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your responses. To There is no Spoon my daily diet is similar to this:
Supper: salad with maybe canned tuna, an egg or some protein. I use oil and vinegar as a dressing on the salad and blueberries and a little yogurt on top.

I don't have the hungry or full sensation. So eating is basically to keep me alive. I sometimes skip breakfast. I hope this helps and I will look forward to your response. I know I am probably doing this low carb thing all wrong but I am trying. Have been diabetic for twelve years.
What are your blood sugar levels and results like?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lowered my A1c's but I use a Dexcom and thought that was why they went down. Thanks
What sort of change have you seen?

the dexcom is a monitor is it not? not a treatment. You may well be using that information wisely to make good choices though.

if your hb1ac has lowered why do you think it’s not working?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I am probably doing this low carb thing all wrong but I am trying. Have been diabetic for twelve years
Hi Cornton,
Don't be down on yourself like that your diet looks great, you seem to be eating all the right things. :)

As with every think it boils down to you as an individual many people use blood sugar meters to see how food effects them for some the berry's or pair could raise there blood sugars for other it can have no effect. What numbers are you dealing with how high is you A1c's what are you trying to lower it to?

Some one else on here with waymore experience than me can correct me on this but:-:bookworm:
Time is a factor after 12 years it may be more a case of maintaining a good number, that is good for you, instead of looking to drop you numbers an unrealistic/unobtainable level.

So far all we have talked about is diet and may people control there diabetes successfully by diet alone. However exercise reduces insulin resistance which helps reduce blood sugar levels to me they go hand in hand.

Then you get in to the relaxation side of things it is amazing how a good nights sleep can reduce bg levels. Are you getting enough sleep and finding time in the day to relax and de-stress from the day to day grind?

Its more than just diet. ;)
:bag:

D

Deleted member 308541

Lower carb food worked for me as a T2 diabetic in reducing my hba1c and keeping my bgl under control.

I eat lots of meat as well.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't know if it is relevant but I am amazed at how little you eat, I can't see you have much scope for reducing carbs even if you increase protein and fat.
I control my Type 2 just with a moderately low carb diet but typically I have.....
Breakfast: Egg, bacon, 1 slice Burgen toast
Lunch: Half a tin of low carb soup and a low carb roll with cheese
Dinner: Full on meat and two veg but with lowish carb veg
Wine or a beer in the evening

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Brunneria,
I am at a loss as to how/where I should reply to your post above.
Should I reply in this thread (possibly considered as disrupting it), or in a PM (which so far as I understand would then have to involve the whole Moderators team)?

I don't have all the studies to hand, I don't keep detailed records of what I read and it's location.
I have been heavily criticised for being 'too enthusiastic' about LCHF, so I try and remember to include ALL the alternatives into any of my posts about T2 remission.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria,
I am at a loss as to how/where I should reply to your post above.
Should I reply in this thread (possibly considered as disrupting it), or in a PM (which so far as I understand would then have to involve the whole Moderators team)?

I don't have all the studies to hand, I don't keep detailed records of what I read and it's location.
I have been heavily criticised for being 'too enthusiastic' about LCHF, so I try and remember to include ALL the alternatives into any of my posts about T2 remission.

Ian,

All you need to do is stop making claims unless you can substantiate with references.
If you want to provide references to support your statements, then go for it.
And you are welcome to start a new thread if you want to discuss a different topic, or (if your comments and references are on topic to this thread) post here.

the original question, by cornton was this:

I have tried cutting out bread and sugars etc and it doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone tell me if low carb works for all diabetics? I have lowered my A1c's but I use a Dexcom and thought that was why they went down. Thanks

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I think you may not have enough calories in your diet. But it depends on body size, I would struggle on that amount of food.

Last edited:

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No. Low carb doesn't suit everyone. Recently learnt about glucagon resistance and these people really struggle with low glucose levels.

cornton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know my food intake is low but as a result of an accident several years ago, I now longer have the hungry/full sensations, I can have a couple of mouthfuls of food and don't want any more. I try to make sure I do eat sufficient food to keep me going, body functions are all in order. LOL. I really appreciate everyone who has responded, the community here is so supportive and helpful.

Reactions: Kaza7

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a relative newbie but I think that many type 2s find lowering their carb intake results in lower blood sugar levels- however, we are all individuals and so we can tolerate different levels and types of carbs.

For me I almost shudder when I think of what my carb intake was before my diagnosis- almost any figure may have been lowering my intake- I was/am a real carb addict- I wasn't aware but carbs were high in all my favourite food

I am not on any medication other than metformin so medication also plays a part.

Testing is the ultimate tool- when you test you learn what you body can tolerate.

I think- with no study or k knowledge that reducing calories also results ion reducing the carbs you eat and so low calorie diets may also help. But for me- the first time ever- losing weight and more importantly controlling blood sugar levels without counting calories.

Good luck finding what works for you- testing is the key.