Type 1 xmas dilema

frankyscouse

newly diagnosed type1 for the last 6 weeks
hi with xams coming up & the food and drink festivities on offer , any suggestions ?
i had my 1st alcohol on saturday (mums 70th party ) drank coors light beer , done the recommended (ate before i drank & had something to eat before bed ) etc

the food aspect does not bother , it bores me but can i deal with it , its the socializing drinking over the xmas is gonna be the problem , i have never been a drinker that drinks every week but times like xmas i did like to have drinks .

so any suggestions that low sugar alcohol (uk)
cheers franky

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you can avoid the carbs in beers, cider etc and just drink spirits with a sugar free mixer you will be fine.....you will need to monitor regularly and eat too as alcohol and spirits particularly will drop your levels.....

which in a a way is good at this time of year as there is always something to eat.....

I tend to drink anything personally......if there's carbs I dose for it, but just remember to snack if and when required....

Reactions: frankyscouse

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @frankyscouse as @novorapidboi26 has said, avoid beers, lagers, ciders due to the carbs in them. Stick to spirits with sugar free mixers....I also will drink anything BUT will bolus for it as well.....been type 1 for a long while and know (90% of the time) how it will effect me

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The type 1 rules are enjoy a drink firstly!
2 Be aware that alcohol causes your body to be unable to generate glucose from your liver. IN short you are at risk of having a low blood sugar whilst this is going on so may need to eat carby stuff prior to drinking or reduce insulin dose then expect higher blood sugars later on so test before you go to bed or if you wake up in the night.
3 Let your drinking mates know you are diabetic so they can throw some orange juice/jelly babies at you if 2 happens.

Reactions: frankyscouse

frankyscouse

Hi @frankyscouse as @novorapidboi26 has said, avoid beers, lagers, ciders due to the carbs in them. Stick to spirits with sugar free mixers....I also will drink anything BUT will bolus for it as well.....been type 1 for a long while and know (90% of the time) how it will effect me
had 6 or 7 coors beers , was tipsy not drunk , woke up thirsty in the night , had a orange fruit drink (in case i had a hypo )
got up in the morning tested my levels (9.6) not sure if i was just thirsty or panicked and drank the juice in case i had a hypo .

yeah i guess its trial and error ,
ty for reply

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
had 6 or 7 coors beers , was tipsy not drunk , woke up thirsty in the night , had a orange fruit drink (in case i had a hypo )
got up in the morning tested my levels (9.6) not sure if i was just thirsty or panicked and drank the juice in case i had a hypo .

yeah i guess its trial and error ,
ty for reply
Maybe you should have tested your BGs when you woke up