Corrections

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys when your blood sugar is around 10mmol. do you find that your correction insulin doesnt always work and you have to do corrections more than once. Im finding that even at 10mmol corrections are not working and i have to correct a few times

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys when your blood sugar is around 10mmol. do you find that your correction insulin doesnt always work and you have to do corrections more than once. Im finding that even at 10mmol corrections are not working and i have to correct a few times
What are you correcting with and by how much? Do you have a correction ratio? For example, mine is 1unit Novorapid for every 2units above 7, rounded down.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you need to make sure your correction factor is correct.......

this factor can be different at different times of day and even for some, different levels of blood glucose..

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi normally 1unit bring me down like 2mmols or like 2.5mmols but like as i have injected water lol..

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi normally 1unit bring me down like 2mmols or like 2.5mmols but like as i have injected water lol..
Maybe you need to increase it slightly, although don't do without advice from your consultant. Insulin resistance varies throughout the day for some people, sounds like you're starting to become a bit resistant to it at certain times.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe. This going to sound wierd but can it be a case of novorapid not working properly for me and maybe trying a different insulin like humalog maybe work better. I heard of diabetics where novorapid wasnt working well for them and switching to humalog was alot better for them..

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how long has the corrections not been working as you would've expected them to work? there are a number of reasons they may not be working

Yes one is that people often find they need a bit extra if above a certain level

Have you basal tested recently? a "normal" for the individual correction will only work as you would expect it to if your basal dose is correct

Do you rotate sites regularly? if not then you may be having absorption issues, have you tried a new pen/cartridge in case your current one has become compromised?

If it has been working up until now then I don't think a change in insulin would be worth it as that would mean learning all over again as each have a different profile, I haven't heard of many (if any) that have become resistant to novorapid but it seems quite common amongst Fiasp users to become resistant to that
xx

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe. This going to sound wierd but can it be a case of novorapid not working properly for me and maybe trying a different insulin like humalog maybe work better. I heard of diabetics where novorapid wasnt working well for them and switching to humalog was alot better for them..
Definitely get advice from your consultant before switching insulin, which i think is a bit drastic before you've tried other options such as changing pen, injection site and ratios. Try a different injection, sometimes the batch comes out a bit funny and doesn't work as well.
Humalog is a mixed insulin from what i remember, so i don't think (Humalog users correct me if i'm wrong!) you will need to take a background basal. So definitely get advice before just switching it out as it will be a big change for your body, and not necessarily a good one.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, how long are you giving the corrections to work? From my previous experiments I would give a correction and then within 2 hours (if it 'hadn't worked'), another one. Then I would go too low followed by higher again even without food. I think that giving corrections too close together probably caused my levels to drop too low and then the rest of my hormones kicked in to raise it again. Sometimes you can't win but do you think you are giving those corrections time to work which for me can be anything up to 2/3/4 hours depending on....everything else! x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely get advice from your consultant before switching insulin, which i think is a bit drastic before you've tried other options such as changing pen, injection site and ratios. Try a different injection, sometimes the batch comes out a bit funny and doesn't work as well.
Humalog is a mixed insulin from what i remember, so i don't think (Humalog users correct me if i'm wrong!) you will need to take a background basal. So definitely get advice before just switching it out as it will be a big change for your body, and not necessarily a good one.
Humalog is a rapid acting just as novorapid is but the company do also make intermediate acting insulins, they wouldn't be able to just switch anyway as it would require a prescription

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humalog is a rapid acting just as novorapid is but the company do also make intermediate acting insulins, they wouldn't be able to just switch anyway as it would require a prescription
Thank you!

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a humalog mix 25 which might be what you were thinking of :)

Currently prescribed humalog and abasaglar :)

Reactions: Shannon27

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys for reply so been testing so at 10mmol 3units of novorapid brings me down like 2mmol the other day another day at 10mmol 3units wouldn't bring it down or even 4 hours later i was still i tried again with 4 units and still no movements. Its as insulin somtimee doesn't wanna work really annoying this is

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks guys for reply so been testing so at 10mmol 3units of novorapid brings me down like 2mmol the other day another day at 10mmol 3units wouldn't bring it down or even 4 hours later i was still i tried again with 4 units and still no movements. Its as insulin somtimee doesn't wanna work really annoying this is

Have a careful look at your injection sites and/or consider changing the vial in your insulin pen. Personally, I've found that overusing injection sites definitely can cause this issue.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a careful look at your injection sites and/or consider changing the vial in your insulin pen. Personally, I've found that overusing injection sites definitely can cause this issue.
Hey so changed injection sites and changed pen and vial and still no help example yesterday i was 9mmol at night i injected like 2.5units and didnt move sugars at all. Its driving me crazy as im trying to achieve best control possible but nothing is working with novorapid lol..

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey so changed injection sites and changed pen and vial and still no help example yesterday i was 9mmol at night i injected like 2.5units and didnt move sugars at all. Its driving me crazy as im trying to achieve best control possible but nothing is working with novorapid lol..

What did you eat? If you ate something with high fat and/or protein content in the hours before correcting, it could be that the meal is digesting for hours and the correction is just keeping you level rather than bringing you down. Also, "correction ratios" are just best guesses that work most of the time. Insulin needs vary every second of every day which is what makes treating this disease so frustrating. If we could just find perfect ratios then the pump companies wouldn't be developing closed loop systems.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What did you eat? If you ate something with high fat and/or protein content in the hours before correcting, it could be that the meal is digesting for hours and the correction is just keeping you level rather than bringing you down. Also, "correction ratios" are just best guesses that work most of the time. Insulin needs vary every second of every day which is what makes treating this disease so frustrating. If we could just find perfect ratios then the pump companies wouldn't be developing closed loop systems.
Hi i didn't eat anything really high in fat or protein. Example today upon waking i was at 11. 6mmol and injected 5units and sugar only moved 1mmol to 10mmol.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i didn't eat anything really high in fat or protein. Example today upon waking i was at 11. 6mmol and injected 5units and sugar only moved 1mmol to 10mmol.

Mornings are a whole other issue. The dawn phenomenon can start at 3-4am and accelerate as you get out of bed and start moving around. The higher you wake up, the faster your blood sugar can start rising even further sometimes. Coffee can accelerate this too, even without sugar, as the caffeine stimulates the liver to release its glucose stores. Insulin resistance is high in the morning as well. I sometimes need substantially more insulin from the second I wake up than I would later in the day. I find I have to take 1 unit the second I wake or I will get a rise. If I wake up high I might have to multiple units, much more than I would need to ordinarily correct a high BG later in the day. I use my CGM to monitor and keep taking insulin if I don't see a drop. I often take double the amount of insulin I normally would need for breakfast, sometimes more depending on what number I wake up at. Do you have a Libre or CGM? Using one makes it much easier to monitor and adapt by taking more insulin or carbs if you're dropping low, without relying on static correct/carb ratios which really are just a starting point anyway.