Can I claim job seekers allowance while on a DAFNE course?

Freedom1

I've recently been made redundant and thought I'd take advantage of having some extra time on my hands and do a DAFNE course while unemployed. I have an appointment at the job centre and I know I will have to 'sign on' every two weeks. Can anybody tell me what will happen if I'm due to sign on during the week of my DAFNE course? Will they suspend my benefit for one week??
Any advice much appreciated

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Re: Can I claim job seekers allowance while on a DAFNE cours

Hi I am also on job seekers having been made redundant. You are allowed to have two holidays a year on job seekers so if you are unlucky enough to be due to sign on whilst on your course, let them know you are away on holiday. That way you will not lose your benefit.

Good luck with the job seeking and the course!
:D

Margi

For goodness sake, don't lie and tell them you are on holiday. I cannot believe that the jobcentre would insist you sign on while away for medical appointments, and a DAFNE course is a week long medical appointment designed to improve your health so you are more able to work. I am sure the jobcentre would have some system to accommodate it: just tell them what you are doing and find out. It may be that they will pay ESA for that week or something, it's the same amount of money anyway so what's in a name? I dread to think of the paperwork they'll invent for both them and you though. But that's just me being cynical.

Honesty is always best, and why lose your holiday weeks when you don't need to? They may say they have to call it a holiday, but at least you have been honest and that goes a long way with them.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!

Surely you can still actively look for work as you aren't going away from home. As said above, it's medical, not holiday.