Joined the club...

SouthCoastBoy

Well, I’ve just picked up my results of 57 I’m 52 and I weigh 21 Stone...and am rather partial to beer and sweets. After meeting the Dr today he said that I need to lose 10% of my body weight and go back to see him in 3 months, no medication yet but I really need to start looking after myself. Just been reading up on the correct food groups...so it starts now!! Good luck!
Low carb mate, it's the way to go. I found that just trying to find things that are a bit close to what I really enjoy makes it easier and less like you;re giving everything up. Chocolate = Atkins bars, Crisps = pork scratchings etc. The only thing is alcohol, esp beer. Let's just say I'm glad the Rugby World Cup is on in the mornings...

SouthCoastBoy

Be aware that the Desmond course might try and undo all your good work. They vary a fair bit but many still just want you to cut white bread and go for whole grain versions of carbs. They may well tell you testing isn’t required. I hope yours is more positive. Sadly lots of people there won’t have done the research you have and will believe it all - hook, line and sinker.

Up to you how you handle that but I had just got my first 3 month check back and kept on about how low carb did that and how many does their methods do the same for (answer: if they are honest very very few)? I asked if they would drive a car with no speedo and just wait for a ticket to come through the door? Eating foods with no idea of their effects is much the same, and an hb1ac is like the letter long after the drive when you’ve no idea what or when you went wrong or what to do differently.
Really helpful, thanks HSSS. Yes, the DN did say I shouldn't begin testing myself, which I was a bit surprised about. I think tbh, she was just focussing on my weight loss and saying 'just keep doing that'. She did not discourage me from a very low carb approach, though. I have another hb1ac in mid December, so I think I'm going to just keep doing what's working so far, see what that result is, and then book the Desmond course then. I fear that by going whilst I'm still getting my head around this might be counter-productive, particularly since the random test was normal. Thanks again HSSS, another member whose stats I would be proud to have!

Reactions: jjraak

SouthCoastBoy

Hello again. So now I'm a bit confused and disheartened. Just had my second HB1AC and it has come back more or less the same as the first (second one was 58, first one was 55 in September). I have been low (<30g) carbing for four months now, and have lost quite a bit of weight (about 18kg, I now weigh 15st flat), and frankly feel better than I have done for years, with almost everyone I know commenting on my weight loss. I have no diabetic symptoms at all. My exercise levels have improved, I'm in training for a half marathon and have more or less given up alcohol (don't miss that to be honest).
I really had hoped that I could get this back below diabetes levels this way, or at least see some improvement. I'm waiting for a call from the DN, but my cholesterol also went up, although is in the mildly raised range so I have a routine call with the doc over that. I'm not on any diabetic medication, as I was already losing weight when I saw the DN for the first time, and she encouraged me to just keep going, after my BG tested at 5.4 in the surgery.
I'm kind of resigned to having to go on medication, but I'll see what the DN says when she rings me.
I think also I may be getting the low carb thing a bit wrong, as I am taking in a lot of protein and not particularly going high fat (because it just doesn't seem the right thing to do when you are trying to lower cholesterol). I'm also consuming a fair bit of sweetener, in coffee and low carb bars. I've recently tried to restrict that to Stevia and Erythritol, as I read that the other types are not that effective. I also think my portion sizes are still too big, although I log my net carb levels, and they are generally 20-30g per day.
So I'll see what she says, but meantime I'm going to cut back on the sweetener, eat more green veg, less protein and maybe introduce a bit of fasting, as my weight loss has more or less stopped in the last month or so and I'm not where I want to be yet. Any help from the wonderful people on this forum would be gratefully received and acknowledged.
I realise this is a long haul, so maybe I just need to give this more time as I'm only three months in, I'm still overweight, and have likely had BG issues for some years without knowing it. I take heart from the posts on this forum that this is an up and down journey, I guess this is my first test of that...

Reactions: DJC3

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Something unusual must be going on here. A BG reading in the Surgery of 5.4 doesn't match up with a worsening HbA1C of 58 from 55.
Yes it is possible that you are eating too much protein, but that should show up in more elevated BG before evening meal if excess protein eaten at breakfast and lunch, or elevated pre-breakfast BG if excess protein eaten in evening. Do you have a BG monitor? It is the best way to find out when/why your BG gets high.

Of course there are other things than Carbs and excess Protein which can raise BG, but unlikely to be the case for long enough to raise HbA1C yet you still have (occasional) healthy spot BG levels:

They are Illness, Injury, Medication, Stress, lack of Sleep0, lack of Exercise, also (intense exercise immediately prior to a spot BG test - because of a 'helpful' liver dump).

Last edited:

SouthCoastBoy

Something unusual must be going on here. A BG reading in the Surgery of 5.4 doesn't match up with a worsening HbA1C of 58 from 55.
Yes it is possible that you are eating too much protein, but that should show up in more elevated BG before evening meal if excess protein eaten at breakfast and lunch, or elevated pre-breakfast BG if excess protein eaten in evening. Do you have a BG monitor? It is the best way to find out when/why your BG gets high.

Of course there are other things tan Carbs and excess Protein which can raise BG, but unlikely to be the case for long enough to raise HbA1C yet you still have (occasional) healthy spot BG levels:

They are Illness, Injury, Medication, Stress, lack of Sleep0, lack of Exercise, also (intense exercise immediately prior to a spot BG test - because of a 'helpful' liver dump).

Thanks ianf0ster, really appreciate your advice. I'm baffled as well, the 5.4 was a late morning appointment and I had not had anything to eat, so was essentially a fasting reading. I don't have a BG monitor as I was told not to, but I may now as I need to know what's raising my levels. Like most people, I do have stress, lack of sleep etc. Thanks again, I'll post more when I get to talk to the DN, much appreciated meantime.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating low fat you might possibly be staying in glucose using mode, breaking down protein and getting elevated levels after meals - but without a meter you can't check - you are getting normal fasting levels, so the high Hba1c could be down to unusual recycling of blood cells or spikes after meals. There has to be a reason.
It is not unusual for the low fat low cholesterol argument to be believed - if only someone had bothered to check.....

mouseee

You definitely need a meter! It will lead you to find things you can't tolerate and help to see what is happening.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I think the meter is essential especially if you are able to get a constant glucose monitor. This gives you immediate feedback on the foods you are eating and the affect of exercise.
It may also be that you need to lose more weight particularly fat around the middle. I was on a low carb diet for about 6 months before there was any noticeable change to my A1c. I believe this was due to too much fat around my liver which it used to dump extra glucose until I got rid of this fat. My waist went down by over 6 inches.
Don't get disheartened as you know from your running, the marathon is not won in the first mile.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm another that thinks you need a meter. It's the only way to really tweak what you are eating. It may be that your portion sizes are too large or it may be some of the artificial sweeteners but it also may be that you tolerate some carbs better than others. For me peanut butter does way more damage to my blood sugar levels then the same amount of carbs in something else- a real pity because I really like it.

Good luck.

SouthCoastBoy

I think the meter is essential especially if you are able to get a constant glucose monitor. This gives you immediate feedback on the foods you are eating and the affect of exercise.
It may also be that you need to lose more weight particularly fat around the middle. I was on a low carb diet for about 6 months before there was any noticeable change to my A1c. I believe this was due to too much fat around my liver which it used to dump extra glucose until I got rid of this fat. My waist went down by over 6 inches.
Don't get disheartened as you know from your running, the marathon is not won in the first mile.

Stephen (and everyone else), you've just cheered me up no end. I think you're right, I'm still obese on BMI (just, 30.0) so I need to reset my time line and aspirations here, plus continue to learn what works and what doesn't. I've spent all day thinking what the heck can I do when I've been super strict but no improvement? In a funny way, I really think that if the result has come back as normal, then I'd think Job Done, ease off, and this current weight loss would have been just another cycle in my yo yo weight life rather than the life changer I want it to be. Thanks again.

Reactions: DJC3

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just keep coming back here for all the support you need. Usually better than a DN or a doc.

Reactions: SouthCoastBoy

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 56, have been overweight all my adult life (16st 8 currently) but exercise regularly. After years of 'high normal' BG readings, then pre-diabetes readings three years ago, my a1c came back as 55 yesterday... I'm due to meet the DN in about a month. I do not know what to expect.
Firstly, thanks so much for this Forum, I spent a lot of the day being scared, ashamed, guilty, sometimes comforted and all the other responses you'd expect, but my day would have been so much worse without being able to read your stories, advice and information.
I'm taking this as a more than the kicks up the behind my previous readings have (temporarily) been. It's time to make permanent change, not just token efforts for a while. As a yo yo dieter, I'm most at home with losing weight through low carb, so thanks to everyone who has given advice on this lifestyle in the context of T2. I fear not being able to get this under control and all the bad stuff that means, but I can understand the views of some on here who regard this as a start of a new long-term healthy life, and as such as a positive thing (although it doesn't feel that way at the moment).
Thanks for taking me in, look forward to taking your advice and, in time as my journey progresses, to helping others do the same.
Good luck, you've taken the first positive steps and you'll get lots of support on the Forum, many people will have been on the same journey

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the discussion and updates. I think too much protein is hampering my ownfasting BG but not enough evidence yet from my testing.
I love stewed meat but it is much easier to overindulge in than steak or chops. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SouthCoastBoy I’ve only just seen your post so I’m a bit late to the party but wanted to add my encouragement. You’ve already lost a lot of weight so that’s brilliant and could be the cause of a temporary rise in your cholesterol levels. Have a look at this:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics
I completely agree with the others here that a glucose meter is essential for you to figure out what is causing spikes in your bg levels. Your fasting level at the surgery was good btw. Test immediately prior to eating and at 2 hrs. If you get a spike of more than 2 mmol don’t have that meal again or make some portion or low carb substitution adjustments.
You already mentioned trying some intermittent fasting which sounds like an excellent plan to get the weight loss stall off the ground again and bring your HbA1c down.
You’ve done really well so far in making the changes you have. Stick with us and keep reading.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm 56, have been overweight all my adult life (16st 8 currently) but exercise regularly. After years of 'high normal' BG readings, then pre-diabetes readings three years ago, my a1c came back as 55 yesterday... I'm due to meet the DN in about a month. I do not know what to expect.
Firstly, thanks so much for this Forum, I spent a lot of the day being scared, ashamed, guilty, sometimes comforted and all the other responses you'd expect, but my day would have been so much worse without being able to read your stories, advice and information.
I'm taking this as a more than the kicks up the behind my previous readings have (temporarily) been. It's time to make permanent change, not just token efforts for a while. As a yo yo dieter, I'm most at home with losing weight through low carb, so thanks to everyone who has given advice on this lifestyle in the context of T2. I fear not being able to get this under control and all the bad stuff that means, but I can understand the views of some on here who regard this as a start of a new long-term healthy life, and as such as a positive thing (although it doesn't feel that way at the moment).
Thanks for taking me in, look forward to taking your advice and, in time as my journey progresses, to helping others do the same.
Welcome

Dont feel ashamed. General living tends to push us towards a less healthy lifestyle.. its what you do now that will help your future and losing a bit of weight doesn't mean having to starve yourself it's simply means a healthier diet

When I though I was a T2 and was struggling with hunger issues I would snack on stuff that had little impact on my blood sugars and there a plenty of low carb options for that

I'm in Southampton and my care team has only ever been very helpful never looked down on me when my hba1c has been too high just offered suggestions on how I might fix the issue.

The fact you are here and reading up on the issue shows you care.. carry on and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that can get it under control

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks for the discussion and updates. I think too much protein is hampering my ownfasting BG but not enough evidence yet from my testing.
I love stewed meat but it is much easier to overindulge in than steak or chops. :)

Hi Lotties,
It is fairly unlikely that High Protein is hampering your fasting BG.
A). Fasting BG is usually influenced more by how big your liver dup is (aka Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the Floor syndrome) rather than your then long prior meal.

B). The body tries to use protein for (re)building and is reluctant to use it for fuel. This is because it produces less fuel and is harder/longer to process than Carbs or Fat.
Quite a few members are on a Carnivore 'Way Of Eating' yet are in long-term Ketosis. So you would have to be eating a lot of meat to have much of an effect on your FBG. However do you account for the carbs in any sauces that you may be using with your stewed meat?

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Lotties,
It is fairly unlikely that High Protein is hampering your fasting BG.

B).
However do you account for the carbs in any sauces that you may be using with your stewed meat?

Gravy does it every time. I think it is the 'flour' used to thicken the sauce. If I have more than 1/4 of a cup it spikes my bg and the effect lasts for several hours.