HBA1C up from 38 - 54 in 9 months

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
less than 20g carbs per day will cause your body to produce reverse T3,
You’ve mentioned this a couple of times and I’ve not seen this claim before. Can you direct us to the source of this information please?

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ve mentioned this a couple of times and I’ve not seen this claim before. Can you direct us to the source of this information please?

Yes it is in the book I mentioned earlier The Hormone Reset diet by Sara Gottfried MD This is where I looked it up to tell Millie. And there is quite a bit on the Internet.

I found out about it as an endocrinologist told me, I have Hashimotos disease and was regularly eating less than 20g of carbs and only 700-800 calories a day. I had a lot of Hashimotos symptoms causing me a lot of problems a few years back. They were very concerned that I had eaten this way for too long. I had not associated my diet which was rather restricted with my increased symptoms. Then about a year ago I saw it detailed in this book.

A low carb diet definitely suits me, and I do have some carb free meals but with most meals I try and make sure I have between 20-40g of carbs, such as goats milk, kefir yogurt, almonds or oats. I am very careful what carbs I eat especially now I have LADA diabetes. I am definitely in control of the Hashimotos now and symptom free, for me, I would not zero carb again. I am not sure if this just applies to people with thyroid problems but I have seen it a few times on the Internet and I don't think so, but I am not an endocrinologist! Also I do think what effects one person, doesn't necessarily effect another, we are all different. But useful info if you are struggling to lose weight and eating low carb and calorie and no obvious reason why.

Reactions: Millie74

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is in the book I mentioned earlier The Hormone Reset diet by Sara Gottfried MD This is where I looked it up to tell Millie. And there is quite a bit on the Internet.

I found out about it as an endocrinologist told me, I have Hashimotos disease and was regularly eating less than 20g of carbs and only 700-800 calories a day. I had a lot of Hashimotos symptoms causing me a lot of problems a few years back. They were very concerned that I had eaten this way for too long. I had not associated my diet which was rather restricted with my increased symptoms. Then about a year ago I saw it detailed in this book.

A low carb diet definitely suits me, and I do have some carb free meals but with most meals I try and make sure I have between 20-40g of carbs, such as goats milk, kefir yogurt, almonds or oats. I am very careful what carbs I eat especially now I have LADA diabetes. I am definitely in control of the Hashimotos now and symptom free, for me, I would not zero carb again. I am not sure if this just applies to people with thyroid problems but I have seen it a few times on the Internet and I don't think so, but I am not an endocrinologist! Also I do think what effects one person, doesn't necessarily effect another, we are all different. But useful info if you are struggling to lose weight and eating low carb and calorie and no obvious reason why.
Thank you. I’ll explore further. As I said I’ve not heard of keto causing thyroid issues. Though I shouldn’t think many low carbers here are eating as little as 800 calories!!! And I wonder how much was that and how much was the keto.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In just a few minutes of reading (more will follow) I’ve already found that reducing calories diminishes t3. Also it may be the lack of insulin that reduce t3. For most type 2 lack of insulin isn’t a problem! For the non diabetics it may be another story. Interesting though.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should ask for a ketone meter. It looks similar to a blood test meter and has strips that you place finger prick of blood on. Yes, you feel terribly unwell with high sugars and high ketones.

Hi Ert, not necessarily, I felt absolutely fine and my levels were sky high with high ketones. Once the Dr rushed me into hospital (I was complaining all the way because I didn't think I was ill) various tests indicated I was in DKA and on a drip I went. I only say this to warn others that feeling ok does not mean you are not in DKA. x

Millie74

Hi Millie

I know what you mean, my parents are very worried but don't really understand the complexity of it all and my husband gets fed up with it! My eldest son doesn't ask and hates even seeing me finger prick but my youngest (15) is actually helpful. I didn't get the right medical support at the beginning it was only when I collapsed with early stages of ketoacidocis after I became ill that I was then rushed through to see the right people and my doctor was reported by the hospital for lack of care. It was a terrible experience. I have left that doctor now. That why I say monitor yourself often and be careful. I was doing the same as you for about 3 years 800 calories a day and about 20g carbs to try and lose weight and improve the Hashimotos but I think this took its toll on me, good initially but I carried it on for way too long and it just wasn't working anyway for me for at least the last year. I will look up for you how many carbs you need a day so as not to cause yourself a thyroid problem. I now eat between 1000-1200 calories a day and about 80-100g carbs per day and I am a stone lighter than before I developed either Hashimotos or LADA diabetes. I was really worried about putting on weight if I took insulin but I think it gives me the energy to carry on and exercise and I feel much better on it and have lost weight. It sounds like you are doing similar to me so I wouldn't worry. Nice to chat to someone with the same thing who is dealing with it in a similar way. Take care over Christmas, hope you have a lovely time, don't worry if you can't eat all the food better to be healthy.

Millie74

Hi Millie

I know what you mean, my parents are very worried but don't really understand the complexity of it all and my husband gets fed up with it! My eldest son doesn't ask and hates even seeing me finger prick but my youngest (15) is actually helpful. I didn't get the right medical support at the beginning it was only when I collapsed with early stages of ketoacidocis after I became ill that I was then rushed through to see the right people and my doctor was reported by the hospital for lack of care. It was a terrible experience. I have left that doctor now. That why I say monitor yourself often and be careful. I was doing the same as you for about 3 years 800 calories a day and about 20g carbs to try and lose weight and improve the Hashimotos but I think this took its toll on me, good initially but I carried it on for way too long and it just wasn't working anyway for me for at least the last year. I will look up for you how many carbs you need a day so as not to cause yourself a thyroid problem. I now eat between 1000-1200 calories a day and about 80-100g carbs per day and I am a stone lighter than before I developed either Hashimotos or LADA diabetes. I was really worried about putting on weight if I took insulin but I think it gives me the energy to carry on and exercise and I feel much better on it and have lost weight. It sounds like you are doing similar to me so I wouldn't worry. Nice to chat to someone with the same thing who is dealing with it in a similar way. Take care over Christmas, hope you have a lovely time, don't worry if you can't eat all the food better to be healthy.

Millie74

I didn’t realise you could cause a thyroid problem by lack of carbs/ cals! I’m hoping I haven’t got one. I did take medication for thyroid when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes that was insulin dependent 13 years ago.

Difficult with family. I try not to bore everyone with it. I normally start researching again if I get a post meal reading of 12. Stresses me out.

Should I up my carbs to 50g? Up my cals a bit? I’m stuck on weight loss anyway. I’m tempted to go back on pill to avoid pcos symptoms of thin hair and acne. Although this hasn’t happened yet this time. I should probably wait to see endocrinologist first.

Do you have the title of the book you recommended. You are far more knowledgeable on hormone side. I have spent last year getting to grips with low carb trying to reverse what I was told was type 2.

Definitely good to talk to you. I appreciate it. Sorry to hear you were so ill. Hope I get to March without anything like that.

Millie74

Hi Ert, not necessarily, I felt absolutely fine and my levels were sky high with high ketones. Once the Dr rushed me into hospital (I was complaining all the way because I didn't think I was ill) various tests indicated I was in DKA and on a drip I went. I only say this to warn others that feeling ok does not mean you are not in DKA. x

Millie74

Do you have to have continuously high bs for DKA? This worries me. My bloods ok if avoid high carbs. I wouldn’t know about keytones.

Millie74

I looked it up less than 20g carbs per day will cause your body to produce reverse T3, this is terrible for your thyroid, metabolism and putting on weight. 20g-49g carbs per day is much better if trying to lose weight and should keep your metabolism going. To maintain weight 50-99g carbs per day recommended. It must be net carbs so minus the fibre content from the total carbs of any food. Not doing this was my mistake I already had a thyroid problem and I think made it worse. I wish I had realised earlier! There is a good book that explains the science and interactions of the different hormones, cortisol, leptin, estrogen, thyroxine, insulin etc and does an elimination diet to see what effects you called 'The hormone reset diet' by Sara Gottfried. MD I got if off amazon about a year ago. A friend who has type 2 diabetes and lost 1.5 stone following it recommended it to me. It's extremely interesting.

Millie74

I looked it up less than 20g carbs per day will cause your body to produce reverse T3, this is terrible for your thyroid, metabolism and putting on weight. 20g-49g carbs per day is much better if trying to lose weight and should keep your metabolism going. To maintain weight 50-99g carbs per day recommended. It must be net carbs so minus the fibre content from the total carbs of any food. Not doing this was my mistake I already had a thyroid problem and I think made it worse. I wish I had realised earlier! There is a good book that explains the science and interactions of the different hormones, cortisol, leptin, estrogen, thyroxine, insulin etc and does an elimination diet to see what effects you called 'The hormone reset diet' by Sara Gottfried. MD I got if off amazon about a year ago. A friend who has type 2 diabetes and lost 1.5 stone following it recommended it to me. It's extremely interesting.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I work out net carbs? I just go on for example Livlife bread slice is 3.8g carbs per slice
I looked up your bread, each slice 3.8 g carbs - fibre of 2.1 g carbs = 1.7 net carbs

I thought I was eating 20g carbs per day but I didn't know about net carbs and that you should minus the fibre content so actually I was eating a lot less than I thought. I was counting vegetables as well and they told me not to include any.

Maybe up the carbs and calories a little. I was told do every change gradually to make sure you don't have a sudden blood sugar rise!

Also remember that you do count total carbs for you diabetes daily intake, but net carbs to avoid reverse T3, although HSSS is right there is also a lot on-line to suggest it could be low calorie that causes this problem. As I was doing both I don't know which caused my problem.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have to have continuously high bs for DKA? This worries me. My bloods ok if avoid high carbs. I wouldn’t know about keytones.
Don't worry, just be aware. Do you have ketostix to test your urine? That's all I have, if I get a reading of above 15 I check it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked up your bread, each slice 3.8 g carbs - fibre of 2.1 g carbs = 1.7 net carbs

I thought I was eating 20g carbs per day but I didn't know about net carbs and that you should minus the fibre content so actually I was eating a lot less than I thought. I was counting vegetables as well and they told me not to include any.

Maybe up the carbs and calories a little. I was told do every change gradually to make sure you don't have a sudden blood sugar rise!

Also remember that you do count total carbs for you diabetes daily intake, but net carbs to avoid reverse T3, although HSSS is right there is also a lot on-line to suggest it could be low calorie that causes this problem. As I was doing both I don't know which caused my problem.
Carbs in the U.K. already have the fibRE deducted or separated so don’t do it again or you’ll be under counting. The confusion comes as many groups are US based and their labels don’t do this maths for them and they are given total carbs and then need to take fibER off to get net carbs. In the U.K. pretty much everyone counts net carbs as far as I can tell. Again 8n the U.K. people usually count their veg too. Each group has their own set of rules. There is no one way to do keto!

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs in the U.K. already have the fibRE deducted or separated so don’t do it again or you’ll be under counting. The confusion comes as many groups are US based and their labels don’t do this maths for them and they are given total carbs and then need to take fibER off to get net carbs. In the U.K. pretty much everyone counts net carbs as far as I can tell. Again 8n the U.K. people usually count their veg too. Each group has their own set of rules. There is no one way to do keto!
Very interesting I didn't know that, thanks, although the nurse in my local hospital told me not to include veg due to their fibre content. Unless she said that as she is not keen on low carb! This makes me wonder if the prolonged low calorie had more to do with my reverse T3 problem. I slowly upped the carbs and calories and lost weight! And my blood test showed the problem had resolved. It did make me realise that the body is more complex and needs the correct balance of a number of different hormones to function properly.
I see you have been eating low carb for a while, how many carbs do you eat a day or per meal?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting I didn't know that, thanks, although the nurse in my local hospital told me not to include veg due to their fibre content. Unless she said that as she is not keen on low carb! This makes me wonder if the prolonged low calorie had more to do with my reverse T3 problem. I slowly upped the carbs and calories and lost weight! And my blood test showed the problem had resolved. It did make me realise that the body is more complex and needs the correct balance of a number of different hormones to function properly.
I see you have been eating low carb for a while, how many carbs do you eat a day or per meal?
To be honest I don’t count anymore. I did and still eat similar foods. I also test my bgl to check for things going awry. I started at about 30-40 g a day and was in ketosis then. I’m still at a similar level but it does vary a little each day. I don’t eat the carbs all in one go either. Sometimes lower occasionally a little higher. I don’t believe I ever go over 50g. Personally I don’t think prolonged very low calorie does anyone’s body any favours.

Last edited:

Millie74