T1 and lost in the Middle East

Nicklenocky

Hi all

My name is Nikki, I used to live in the UK but had to relocate when both my husband and I lost our jobs in England. We have now lived in the Middle East for 2 years where it seems I have lost all control of my diabetes.

I am trying not to make this a long winded introduction but I feel I should explain my circumstances and living environment which may enable you to appreciate why I am having so much difficulty. In a nutshell, I have recently become depressed due to the frustration of not achieving good blood sugars, I don't receive quality care and advice here from the doctors (even though I pay obscene amounts of money),I stumbled upon this website and I must say that I have cheered up considerably knowing I am not the only one struggling with diabetes. It seems that I could learn a lot from the experiences of others on this site.

I am 29 and have been T1 diabetic for 15 years. It seems I just about made it through my university years and had decent Hba1cs of around 7. Fast track to the last 2 years where I have tried to find a decent healthcare professional here in the Middle East (they don't exist) , having very erratic blood sugar readings, work in highly stressful environment, have Hypos on a daily basis, have a current Hba1c of 8.3, just got married, work in a different country to my husband, fly to see my husband every single weekend (so that's 2 plane rides in 3 days), try to count my carbs but its not working, and am now considering trying for a baby. The fact that I would like to try for a baby is the reason why I would like to get my diabetes under control.

The one thing I bitterly regret was not pushing myself to go on the DAFNE course whilst I was in the UK.

So I am not really sure where to start, I would love to get some advice on my current readings if there is anyone who would be willing to help me.

ClaireG 06

Hi and welcome to the forum Nikki :D

I can understand your frustration at not being able to get your blood sugars under control at the moment. Stress can also effect your levels, not making things easier for you.

I know you are not newly diagnosed but some of the information in this link might be helpful to you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

There is also an online carb counting course here that maybe useful to you

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Please come back and ask any questions you may have, there is normally someone who can help :D

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
Hi Nikki, Where abouts in the Middle East are you? I'm Type 1, on an insulin pump, DAFNE trained and also 29. I've just had my first wedding anniversary (not trying for a baby but will do one day) and also do lots of flying! I feel like we have a lot in common!!!! I'm in Qatar in a massive hotel just off the C Ring road (dont want to post name as it will only get deleted!!) I hope you are nearby and we could go for a coffee! I can introduce you to my friend who is also type 1, using daily injections living in a compound not far away xxx

Nicklenocky

Hi Claire, thanks for the intro and the link to the bdec....I will certainly have a look.

To dustydazzler....yes it does sound like we have a lot in common! I divide my time between Kuwait (in the week) and Bahrain (on the weekends)...its a shame we are not in the same country!