Hba1c and cholesterol levels

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am confused I had my annual check up in September this year my results were 7.7 hba1c and 4 for my cholesterol they said it was a wee bit high and they would repeat in 8 weeks just had my results and they were 8.4 hba1c and 3.4 for my cholesterol...when i was first diagnosed my hba1c was 7.8 so I am higher than ever the receptionist said the doc wants me to change from sivistatin as my cholesterol is a bit high .I am confused anybody any ideas are they right ? I have been type 2 for 6 years and always had it well controlled....thanks Jim

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am confused I had my annual check up in September this year my results were 7.7 hba1c and 4 for my cholesterol they said it was a wee bit high and they would repeat in 8 weeks just had my results and they were 8.4 hba1c and 3.4 for my cholesterol...when i was first diagnosed my hba1c was 7.8 so I am higher than ever the receptionist said the doc wants me to change from sivistatin as my cholesterol is a bit high .I am confused anybody any ideas are they right ? I have been type 2 for 6 years and always had it well controlled....thanks Jim
Statins can push up your bloodsugars, in some people even cause diabetes. And honestly, you're not that high. @Jim Lahey and @bulkbiker can probably tell you more, they're practically the professors on this stuff. As for your HbA1c, you can get that down through diet (with fat, which will probably make your doc/nurse faint in horror.) Have a read here: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Reactions: Jim 007*

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You had a reduction in cholesterol did you not?

It may be that there has been an increase in the bad one (LDL) and you haven't seen the break down of HDL/LDL..

I personally would take what receptionists say with a pinch of salt and speak to the doctor...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you need is a print out of your results, and also your previous ones. The total cholesterol you mention is a bit on the low side, presumably because you were taking Simvastatin, and the Simvastatin may well be the cause of your raised HbA1c.
You need to know the breakdown of your cholesterol, not just the total. The total is meaningless because it is the total of the good, the bad, and the in between. I advise you to ring and ask for the print outs before you see the doctor. There are plenty of folk on here who can help if you don't understand.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
@Jim 007* statins can increase your hba1c - I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48, prescribed statins which, being unaware of the issues they could cause at the time, I took and my hba1c increased to 54. After I stopped them due to other side effects my hba1c reduced to non diabetic levels where they have remained for approx 7 years. My GP has now annotated my medical records with ‘statin intolerant’ because we don’t want to risk it happening again.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondering how come you are on insulin at 6 years in? All sorts of things impact the cholesterol including what you ate 3-4 days before the test whereas the hba1c would be the one I'd be more concerned about given that the increased blood sugar means you're more at risk from damage to your arteries in the longer term whereas it is believed my some here that the total cholesterol level has very little bearing on risk! I'd discuss the pros and cons of taking that statin with a GP you trust and consider not taking it to see if your bgs come down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Hi Jim
In your shoes I'd be far more concerned about my HbA1c than about "cholesterol".
Especially as yours is low. Sounds like your HCP's are a bit out of date..

Have you ever had a cardiac event?
If not I'd be asking them why you are taking a statin which can raise blood sugar levels.

aard

Hi Jim
In your shoes I'd be far more concerned about my HbA1c than about "cholesterol".
Especially as yours is low. Sounds like your HCP's are a bit out of date..

Have you ever had a cardiac event?
If not I'd be asking them why you are taking a statin which can raise blood sugar levels.

My GP wants me on statins because of the combination of diabetes(6.8)and high cholesterol(6.1/ratio 6.7)I’ve never had a cardiac event but that test to determines your risk puts me in 20% chance in ten years.

Ive refused, hopefully i’m one of the 80% :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Any HBA1C over 8% is too high and needs either more medication or a lower-carb diet (see NICE diabetes Guidelines). Statins are not a diabetes drug but your GP is following slightly silly NHS and NICE guidance for cholesterol. The NHS risk test is highly suspect and assumes as a diabetic you will be badly controlled (which currently you appear to be to some extent?). The figure of 4.0 for a diabetic's cholesterol comes from NICE and is plucked from the air. You need to be guided by the ratios in a full lipids profile and not the total figure which means little.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Thanks for all the replies my cholesterol breakdown is hdl 0.89...ldl 0.7 ...tri ..3.9..
I have never had any heart issues ...following a phone call from the doc they have doubled my dose of metformin to 2000g a day total ..I have not been eating much different from normal to get my sugar so high . They are talking about changing me from simvastatin as this can cause higher blood sugar apparently

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Thanks for all the replies my cholesterol breakdown is hdl 0.89...ldl 0.7 ...tri ..3.9..
I have never had any heart issues ...following a phone call from the doc they have doubled my dose of metformin to 2000g a day total ..I have not been eating much different from normal to get my sugar so high . They are talking about changing me from simvastatin as this can cause higher blood sugar apparently

Had you fasted for long before that blood test? Were you following any particular diet?

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi no not told to fast before the test never fasted before for my annual check
I was not doing any diet either just eating my normal ...No white bread etc I have been injured so no been exercising as much so put on half a stone

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi no not told to fast before the test never fasted before for my annual check
I was not doing any diet either just eating my normal ...No white bread etc I have been injured so no been exercising as much so put on half a stone
OK the reason I asked was your triglyceride levels were very high but if you hadn't fasted and were eating a "normal" diet that could explain it.