we are all type 1 diabetics

moorlander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grey squirrels
I was just wondering how common this is as every time I see someone new they are always astounded when asked "is anyone else in your family diabetic" I say yes my husband was diagnosed in 1982, the same week as our son was born. I became diabetic when pregnant with our second, my Dr didn't pick it up until too late and he was 12.5 Lb stillborn, my daughter was born 12 months later I started Insulin at 4 days pregnant,she was induced at 7 months. That was 26 years ago, needless to say it didn't just go away, my daughter was 13 when we found out she was type 1, my son was 21 when he found out he was also type 1. Is this really unusual, neither my or my husbands family as far as we can go back were diabetic but now my brother is also type 1.
is this common?

dafne-jim

hi ive been type 1 since i was 16 that was in 1970 my great grandad was type 1 but that was a long time back my mother became type 1 after she went through the change , but up to now my daughter whose 31 and her 2 children are ok . they always say to watch youre children but it doesnt always come out in the next generation as has seemingly happened with you .Maybe it could have been a stonger possibility as youre husband became type one and with you becoming type 1 they say you can have it and it can take as long as 7 years before it can show it self