Is there a guide to starting up with the Freestyle Libre?

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine arrived yesterday but I hear there can be problems if you don't do things exactly right.
E.g. question. Is it best to shower first application and when can I bathe after application?
I have a Samsung s5 phone as well.
A pointer the relevant part of the forum would be great. My searches were not hitting the spot.
Many thanks in advance.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, you can shower, just make sure your arm is dry for the application. They provide wipes to wipe your area as well so make sure you use them. Lastly, try to aim for the fatty part of your arms and not the muscle. I heard readings can vary when it hits a muscle.

Reactions: Lotties
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is usually some paper work inside that shows you how to apply the sensor, it is fairly easy. Yep you can apply straight out the shower, as Mei said just make sure the area is dry.

You can download the Libre link app from the play store.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Activate the reader before using your phone. I forgot this morning and the reader won't read the sensor, not a problem as I use the phone mostly.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank, all!
Shower booked (with candles)
and research time for when I get home from work.
Just another excuse to procrastinate over the pressie wrapping...
... just as long as it done before 7.45am...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Go slowly the first time, and double check each step.
The most complicated bit for me was lining up all the bits of plastic to get the applicator ready.

As others have said, try and get the area clean and dry.
I only use one wipe of the two supplied, but whatever.
Trust that when you press down the sensor will stick - it is a bit like magic at first but it seems to work.

I put Kinesiology tape over the top, with a bit of backing still on in the middle to stop the tape sticking to the sensor.
Others don't use tape.

Get someone with a firm grip to help you remove your first sensor.
It needs a far harder pull than you expect.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all
Sensor installed - completely painless so far; I have a good layer of fat to pad it!
First reading on the Libre was 5.2 rising then 6.3 then 6.2 level. I guess it was still settling in.
Correlates pretty well so far with TEE2 taken 10 mins beforehand and with mobile Abbott app.
As expected, I am scanning every few minutes with both -new toy syndrome :D

Reactions: urbanracer

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having so difficulty with comparison values between the Freestyle Libre & my Tee2+.
I've be trying to choose a period where not much is going on ie my repeat readings of the Libre are reporting level & lowish and I haven't eaten anything recently; taking simultaneous measurements and then waiting 15-20 mins. The readings can be oddly different, Tee readings 6.3 -Libre 4.4 with down arrow.
20 mins later, Tee 8.4/7.5/7.7 (3 for average 7.86 ) and Libre 5.7level/6.2up/6.4up.
20 mins later Tee 8.5 Libre 6.4up.
Is it possible the fingerprick can stress the body enough to cause rapid upswing AND the Libre be poorly correlating at levels below 8mmol/L?
Thoughts please...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having so difficulty with comparison values between the Freestyle Libre & my Tee2+.
I've be trying to choose a period where not much is going on ie my repeat readings of the Libre are reporting level & lowish and I haven't eaten anything recently; taking simultaneous measurements and then waiting 15-20 mins. The readings can be oddly different, Tee readings 6.3 -Libre 4.4 with down arrow.
20 mins later, Tee 8.4/7.5/7.7 (3 for average 7.86 ) and Libre 5.7level/6.2up/6.4up.
20 mins later Tee 8.5 Libre 6.4up.
Is it possible the fingerprick can stress the body enough to cause rapid upswing AND the Libre be poorly correlating at levels below 8mmol/L?
Thoughts please...

The libre is testing Interstitial fluid and not blood so it lags 15 mins behind your finger prick readings.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am aware but after 15-20 mins they are still out of sync by a fair margin1.5-2.5. I did the 15 mins interval to show.
My main query is does a prick test send blood glucose levels rising in some people in the short term? I'm new to testing and have never done many frequent (every 15 min or so) tests.

Last edited: