Flu jab 2010/2011

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
DazG said:
Hi Fencer.

I was offered it along with the pneumonia jab because of the diabetes.

People do have it for other reasons, but yes diabetes is one of them.

Thanks. Didn't realise this. I'm getting mine this afternoon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fencer said:
Do you all get the jab because you are diabetic or are you offered it for other reasons? Is this something that I should be thinking about?

Diabetes only with me Fencer and yes it is something you should discuss with your gp.

Nigel

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I see this thread is nearly a year old. Does that mean that it's time to start thinking about getting this done again?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yes, here we go again! :roll:

I don't know if this year's is out yet, but if it is I bet I get an armful next Monday :lol: . Our practice nurse is needle-happy :shock: I'll let you know if I do - maybe start a new thread for 2011/12.

Viv 8)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
viviennem said:
Yes, here we go again! :roll:

I don't know if this year's is out yet, but if it is I bet I get an armful next Monday :lol: . Our practice nurse is needle-happy :shock: I'll let you know if I do - maybe start a new thread for 2011/12.

Viv 8)
lol, it must have been posting in this thread yesterday, but I woke up this morning with a killer sore throat. Sitting here now in about the Beechams Flu Plus, Lockets and Kleenex! Oh dear. lol

Unbeliever

Apparently my Practice doesn't expect to receive the flu vaccine until October. I don't know if that is universal or just in my area.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Unbeliever said:
Apparently my Practice doesn't expect to receive the flu vaccine until October. I don't know if that is universal or just in my area.

I just called my doctor and got an appointment. Saturday morning appointment too :D

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had my flu jab yesterday,
dont usually have it till Oct time
Sue

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
yes thanks i feel like normal just a little bit of sore muscle, but much better than last year as i couldnt lift my arm for a few days ,
Sue

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Sue o2 said:
yes thanks i feel like normal just a little bit of sore muscle, but much better than last year as i couldnt lift my arm for a few days ,
Sue

Good :)

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
The first time I had the flu jab I felt so rough I havn't had it since. As I got older I will probably have it as I will be more vulnerable :roll:

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I felt perfectly fine after mine. Had a sports massage booked in the afternoon, no probs during and after that. Next morning was a little sleepy in the morning, but forced myself up and away to the gym then felt right as rain. Bit sore in the arm for around 2 days, but that's just about OK now.

Terminator 2

Got a letter about the flu jab the other week, said I was in an 'at risk' group and a free jab was available at an open day on the 8th.

Being new to T2 I have to ask , 'at risk' to what??

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Terminator 2 said:
Got a letter about the flu jab the other week, said I was in an 'at risk' group and a free jab was available at an open day on the 8th.

At risk of becoming very ill if you get flu.

Terminator 2

Fencer said:
Terminator 2 said:

At risk of becoming very ill if you get flu.

I could have worded that better, the obvious answer is 'the flu' :lol: disclaimer: I was tired

What I was meaning was what is the relevance of the diabetic being offered the flu jab whereas the non-diabetic doesn't get that option. My mindset is the flu is the flu regardless, but I'm obviously missing something hence the ask.

Edit
Cancel that, just downloaded the 'Diabetes For Dummies' and had a read, basically diabetics are prone to becoming sicker.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Andy!

Not only do we get sicker, but the virus sends our blood glucose haywire. Add to that the fact that half the time you can't eat because you can't swallow, and you can't drink soothing things lilke lemsip with honey 'cos of the amount of sugar in it, and you can get very ill indeed. Very serious for Type 1s, and not good for us Type 2s either.

Much better to have the jab!

Viv 8)

Terminator 2

Hi Viv,

I was going to give the flu jab a miss but I might just attend that drop-in on the 8th...just in-case :wink:

Believe it or not the flu was my nemesis for decades, it would floor me for weeks (or was that kryptonite?) Anyway, gave up the smoking early 98 and haven't had a sniffle since.

There's a moral there and it aint keep away from Kryptonite if your a supehero.

'Up,Up and away........
002666715_icon.jpeg

Unbeliever

I am sure everyone who read my ran about the practice nurse discovered that I had had the emerity to book an HBA1C without attending a clinic {my normal practice] doesn't want to be bored by it again but i eventually decided to canel my flu jab until after I have the test next week.

My husband went along for his flu jab today. As he was leaving the nurse ran after him o ask if he would like to have a pneumonia jab. He replied that he had had it some years ago and was tolfd he wouldn't need another uness he was unfortunay=te enouhg o have to have his spllen removed,
She went to check this with a Dr and came back to say the doctor agreed .

When he got home the pracice nurse called and asked him when he had the pneumonia jab as they had searched back twenty years and could find no record. we both distinctly remeber that he had i because it was the only time he had suffered a reacion fter the flu jab ,

She wouldn't accept it so he said he as quite willing to have it again. As a clincher she said that as they only gave it to over 65s {he is 67] he could only have had it in the las few years and there was definitely no record.. She had searched through twenty years of his medical records without
realising he has asthma {30 years} and had apparently forgotten that over-65s are not the only group to be offered the pneumonia jab!

This was a different nurse too!
I can only assume that they are being put under extreme pressure to ensure hat they can claim every penny possible from the NHS. Overall the tactics appear not to be cost effective .
Just as the nurse bear the brunt of dealing with diabetes it appears they are bearing the brun of maning the budget too.

Maybe we will be able to dispense with the GPs altogether soon. that should save some money.
Can't wait for my flu jab. I am no even 65 . Maybe I will be denied it? :D