Type 2 Blood glugose level raising after waking up

Mike Sixx

I have noticed that if I oversleep like 3-4h. Or wake up take Metfor. And take BG measurement. If I then go back to bed for 3-4 h without eating any thing or I am busy with work (remote) then often when I measure again my BG is up 1-2 units. That confuses me shouldn't it go down longer I am not eating ? Or is it that body gos into "starvation mode" when you do not eat for too long? Or is it just stress?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No it isn't starvation mode or stress - by not eating you give a signal that you might not have food available, so the liver releases glucose to assist in your hunt for something to eat. It is entirely normal.

Mike Sixx

No it isn't starvation mode or stress - by not eating you give a signal that you might not have food available, so the liver releases glucose to assist in your hunt for something to eat. It is entirely normal.
So is it bad. And if so, how bad ? The 1-1.5mmol I guess is not that bad and that glucose
is coming from somehere where then should be less of it left ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The glucose is released by the liver - it isn't bad - it is what ought to happen, after all. Even if you return to normal figures for Hba1c and blood glucose, the liver should release glucose if you don't eat in the morning.

Mike Sixx

The glucose is released by the liver - it isn't bad - it is what ought to happen, after all. Even if you return to normal figures for Hba1c and blood glucose, the liver should release glucose if you don't eat in the morning.
Thanks.
I know it is natural effect but I do not know if that has an adverse effect for T2 ? Should people with T2 try avoid that from happening?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.
I know it is natural effect but I do not know if that has an adverse effect for T2 ? Should people with T2 try avoid that from happening?

There’s not an awful lot you can do about it. It’s the liver doing it’s thing. If you’re testing using finger pricks then it can be concerning to see higher readings than you’re used to when testing later in the morning than usual, but the likelihood is that you’ve just missed them when testing at your regular times. Using a Libre I have learned that the fewer carbs I eat, the less pronounced is the Dawn Phenomenon rise I see, but there’s always a small rise before BG drops down again naturally.

Reactions: Auto E