Newly diagnosed hba1c 12.1

Mwaqar

Hi all, my brother-in-law is recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with hba1c value of 12.1. We are wondering if he can reduce this down without medications and only relying on diet and exercise. If anyone had done that without any other health problems please share your story..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If he is a standard sort of type two, and lucky then just by not eating high carb foods, carefully adjusting low carb ones he could see much more normal results - there are many people who have done this.
A blood glucose meter helps with finding the foods suitable - they can vary quite a lot between different people.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, my brother-in-law is recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with hba1c value of 12.1. We are wondering if he can reduce this down without medications and only relying on diet and exercise. If anyone had done that without any other health problems please share your story..

Hi @Mwaqar and welcome

I was diagnosed with type2 with an HbA1c of 12% (108) about 3 years ago. I reduced this to non-diabetic levels using diet and exercise only - and have maintained that since. I achieved this by eating a diet very low in carbohydrates (20g or less a day). In addition to the link @Rachox posted, you might want to check out dietdoctor.com or the Low Carb Program on this website.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Rachox

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another T2 here who's getting along fine without medication. Give him Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code for Christmas, it's a lifesaver. ;) https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- a print of this would do fine too, its as good a place to start as any. But yes.... All in all... It can be done. Do invite him over here, the more, the merrier. :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Yes- this site has many stories of type 2 who manage on diet and exercise- emphasis heavily on the diet. I'm one- only been diagnosed for less than 6 months but blood sugars firmly in the non-diabetic range using low carb diet- well when I say diet II mean way of life.

This site is full of useful resources for a type 2 who wants to manage using diet.

Welcome to both you and your brother-in-law. Read the links already posted- and ask questions.

Reactions: ziggy_w

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 12.1% when diagnosed. I got it coming down quite quickly by cutting out most carbs (especially bread, rice & pasta etc. also milk which has a quite a lot of sugar especially if you drink a lot of milky coffee as used to). My hba1c was down significantly after three months and just about non-diabetic six months later. When I was diagnosed my doctor sent me to the hospital and seemed to be surprised and a little annoyed when I told him later that they hadn't prescribed anything. I'm glad they didn't because it turned out to be quite achievable to get blood glucose down without medicines.

Reactions: ziggy_w