Air travel

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In order to carry my insulin pens in my hand luggage, the airline has asked for 'documentation' that I need them.

Is this the normal state of affairs?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, it shouldn’t be the case but I know majority of type 1s carry letters from their doctors or diabetes team stating he or she has type 1 diabetes and requires insulin. I use to travel to Europe and I have been able to get through security without any problems and this was without documentation. But my trip to America was a bit more problematic despite documentation.

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, it shouldn’t be the case but I know majority of type 1s carry letters from their doctors or diabetes team stating he or she has type 1 diabetes and requires insulin. I use to travel to Europe and I have been able to get through security without any problems and this was without documentation. But my trip to America was a bit more problematic despite documentation.

Thanks, MeiChanski.
Sorry, threads crossed.
Yes, it shouldn't be the case, and I'm glad to hear that UK-EU travel goes smoothly.
My airline classifies insulin pens as 'hypodermic needles', and so they're a bit antsier about things.
Cheers - Rusty

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just what and who is "my" airline?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oh, I know who they are .... one of the world's worst

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In order to carry my insulin pens in my hand luggage, the airline has asked for 'documentation' that I need them.

I'm not T1 or insulin dependent, but I do believe a lot of folks just carry a copy of their prescription with them.

In UK, a Doctor can charge for providing such letters, but most hospital clinics do the free of charge, using a golrified template letter.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Not sure where you got your info from but I think that most airlines (and airports) have these rules buried in the small print of the T's and C's even though it's rarely put into practice. I travel a fair bit for work and pleasure and I have such a letter but have never been asked to produce it at the airport either by an airline or by security staff.

As a newbie I went on holiday 2 weeks after first diagnosis and I remember offering up my 'kit' for inspection only to be dismayed that they weren't in any way interested!

I think it harks back to days when syringe needles were massive and could have perhaps conceivably been used as a weapon - but that's just an assumption on my part.

If you do get a letter from somewhere, then make sure that it's undated and thus can be reused as desired in the future.

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure where you got your info from but I think that most airlines (and airports) have these rules buried in the small print of the T's and C's even though it's rarely put into practice. I travel a fair bit for work and pleasure and I have such a letter but have never been asked to produce it at the airport either by an airline or by security staff.

As a newbie I went on holiday 2 weeks after first diagnosis and I remember offering up my 'kit' for inspection only to be dismayed that they weren't in any way interested!

I think it harks back to days when syringe needles were massive and could have perhaps conceivably been used as a weapon - but that's just an assumption on my part.

If you do get a letter from somewhere, then make sure that it's undated and thus can be reused as desired in the future.

Good idea about having a letter undated.

This is what alerted me: https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/travelling-with-medication ,

and then I messaged them on FB and they said: "You just need to present an identification to confirm your medical condition and you should be good to go"

Even just a piece of hospital paperwork seems to be enough, they say . . .