CHOCOLATE PARADISE

WhitbyJet

I have received PMs from members asking for more chocolate recipes if I have any, and here they are, suitable for treats as well as special occasions, the festive season, use as gifts and guiltfree :D

Please note I tend to use Splenda or Zsweet in all my recipes, I find they give best results.

I made this cake today, took it to work with me, a success for sure. So here is the recipe as promised:

Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g cream cheese/Philadelphia
100g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%)
Flaked almonds or any nuts
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring)

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Grease a springform with a little butter.
Melt butter, break chocolate into pieces and stir until melted, dont overheat or else you get a grainy mixture. Beat eggs until fluffy, add the cream cheese, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Using a spatula stir in the chocolate butter mix, stir well.
Pour batter into springform tin and sprinkle with nuts. Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes.

Super good to eaten warm with whipped cream however boss just polished off another slice cold as we speak and still enjoyed it.
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1267
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Budapest Roulade (Roll)
ingredients:
6 egg whites
3 tablespoons Splenda or similar
0.5 cup coconut flour
1 cup hazelnut flour (very finely ground so they resemble flour)
1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts

filling
2.5 cups whipped cream
2-3 cups raspberries or other berries, can be frozen, but drain off excess liquid

Garnish little melted dark chocolate

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
Whip the egg whites and Splenda until very stiff.
Mix coconut flour, the chopped nuts and hazelnut flour. Gently fold the egg white into the dry mix..
Spread the batter on a lined swiss roll tin. Bake in middle of oven for about 15 min.
Turn out onto a new sheet of baking parchment. Remove the paper from the top of the cake and let it cool.
Whip the cream, mix with fresh or semi-thawed frozen raspberries, add a little Splenda if its too tart for you and spread over cake. Roll up like a Swiss roll, gently. Garnish with drizzle a little melted chocolate over the cake.

A tip:

Cover the cake with a damp tea towel and then roll up everything (towels included) quickly and let it all cool down, when completely cool unroll, spread on filling and then using the baking parchment underneath the cake carefully roll up into a Swiss roll.
By using this damp tea towel the cake wont crack quite as much.
Here is the picture for you
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1155
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caprese - Chocolate Chocolate cake from Capri
ingredients:
200 g blanched and peeled almonds
200 g dark chocolate
200 g butter
1 cup Splenda or sweetener of your choice, suitable for baking
25 g (about 4 tablespoons) cocoa
5 eggs
ev 1 tablespoon rum or a few drops of peppermint oil

To serve:
whipped cream, flavoured with your favourite whisky or rum or whatever you like or you could use chantilly cream = whipped cream with vanilla, whipped cream with berries, anything you like

Chop the almonds finely. Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add sweetener and sift cocoa, stirring occasionally. Add the almonds and then one egg at a time, and rum if using. Whisk constantly or use your electric mixer.

Pour batter into a greased springform tin, 25cm in diameter.

Bake in oven at 150 degrees for 50-60 minutes, depending on how "sticky" you want it. It will still be a little soft inside when you remove it.

And voila, you have a good cake without flour and sugar!

Here is the picture:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=373
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Balls
Ingredients:
100g butter, softened, unsalted
3 / 4 cup sweetener, Splenda or Zsweet ia good
3 tablespoons cocoa
3 cup hazelnuts
desiccated coconut

Chop the hazelnuts, I do this in a food processor, then add in all ingredients except the coconut, mix thoroughly. Shape into balls, roll in the desiccated coconut, place in the fridge for a while till set.
For a special occasion I bake a chocolate cake, then decorate it with whipped cream and chocolate balls.
Never had any complaints from anyone yet, all good ingredients that wont upset your bg levels.
The photo:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=887

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coffee Chocolate Balls - makes 15 - 20 pieces
Ingredients:
100g butter
150g hazelnuts (coarsely ground)
desiccated Coconut 150g (+ 50g for garnish)
1 / 2 teaspoon vanilla powder/flavour/essence
50 g 70% dark chocolate, or equivalent.
2 tablespoons Whipping cream
1.5 tbsp cold strong coffee

Measure out ingredients and add the butter, ground hazelnuts, coconut and vanilla in a bowl.

Melt the chocolate (place in a suitable container, and microwave, but be careful dont over do it) Mix the melted chocolate with whipped cream and coffee until smooth.

Have a dish ready with the 50g desiccated coconut to roll the chocolate balls in.

Now mix all the ingredients together, it will be quite a sticky mixture, but you should be able to roll it into balls, you get around 15 to 20 out of this mixture, then roll them into the desiccated coconut, place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Best served directly from the fridge.
Picture:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1016

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almond Chocolate squares

Ingredients:
1 cup whipping cream
50 g dark chocolate, Lindt Madagascar is good if you can get this
25 g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups almond flour
desiccated coconut

Heat the cream, add chocolate and stir until it is melted, add butter and stir until you have a truffle texture.
Add the vanilla and stir in the almond flour, you may need a bit more almond flour if the mixture is still too soft, you need to be able to shape it into squares. Dip the squares into the coconut flakes.Keep in the fridge.
The photo
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1126

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate cake with nut meringue
Ingredients:
6 egg whites
3 tablespoons sweetener
1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
Chocolate Cream:
1.5 dl cream
3 egg yolks
3 tpsp sweetener
6 squares of 90% chocolate if your chocolate comes in small squares then use double
150g very soft butter

2 cups whipped cream and a little grated raw for garnish

Beat eggs, add cream and sweetener and place into a saucepan, simmer until thickened. Do not boil and remove from the heat as soon as it is thick.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and whisk one bit at a time int the cream mixture.
Then whisk the butter into the chocolate cream. Allow to cool at room temp. It hould be spreadable, if it is too runny chill until it is spreadable.
Make the Meringue: Beat whites until frothy, add the sweetener and whisk for a further 5 minutes. Gently fold the chopped nuts into the mixture.
Draw 2 circles on parchment paper about 24 cm in diameter.
Spread the meringue mixture onto the circles and bake at 150 degrees for 30 minutes. Let them cool on a rack.
Spread chocolate cream on to one meringue place the other meriingue on top.
Whip the cream and spread over the top, and with some grated chocolate. Can be served with or without berries.

Use the leftover yolks for an omelette.
The photo:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lemon and chocolate pie
Ingredients:
100 g dark chocolate 70%
50 g butter
1 egg yolk
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup chopped pistachios

Filling
400 g cream cheese
2 eggs + 1 egg white
3 tablespoons sweetener
Grated rind and juice of one lemon

Melt the butter first, add the pieces of chocolate and stir until melted, do not overheat, or the mixture will go grainy. Stir in the egg yolk, then mix in the ground almonds and pistachios.
Pour into a 22-24 cm springform tin.
Stir together ingredients for the filling and mix thoroughly, spread it on top of the nutty mixture.
Bake at 175C for about 25-30 min.
Serve the cake at room temperature with a little whipped cream.
Photo:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1250
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Variety of coconut/chocolate balls

Ingredients:
2 cups desiccated coconut
2 1 / 4 cup quark
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon butter (softened)
1 tsp sweetener or more, taste the mixture!
1 pinch sea salt flakes

Roll the balls in a mix of
dark chocolate (70%), gently melted in the microwave
or
desiccated coconut
or
cocoa powder and cinnamon
or
sesame seeds
or
chopped nuts

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. The coconut batter will be fairly solid but a bit sticky.
Therefore, leave the mixture in refrigerator for several hours, it will thicken
Now it will be easy to shape dough into small balls about 25 pieces or more. Roll the balls in any of the suggested coatings.
Photo:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=554

PS: If you do lots of baking its worth making your own vanilla sugar, buy a whole vanilla pod, slit it open, fill a jar with Zsweet, poke the vanilla pod into the middle, place lid tightly on the jar and leave to infuse.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iced chocolate

You will need:

100 g of coconut oil
1 cup (30g) desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
30 Confectionary foil cups or similar

Melt the coconut, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Divide mixture between 30 foil cups.. Garnish with a little coconut.

Chill in the fridge or freezer until set and dont eat them all at once. I place mine in the freezer, these little chocs will melt slowly on your tongue, very decadent, tiny amount of carbs.

Here is a link so you can see what they look like

http://veglchf.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/ischoklad/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These have proved to be very popular with family and friends
Almost Bounty Bars

Ingredients:
100ml Zsweet or sweetener of your choice (taste the mixture)
50 g coconut oil
100ml double cream
100ml coconut milk (preferably organic coconut milk from Blue Dragon because of the low carbohydrate value)
200 g desiccated coconut
100 g of chocolate with high cocoa content (> 70%) Lidl's is good for this

Carefully, in a saucepan, melt coconut and sweetener..
Add the coconut milk, cream, grated coconut and let it simmer.
Stir well and leave in the fridge for about an hour.
Shape the mixture into 12-14 square-like pieces.
Put the pieces in the freezer and leave for one hour.
Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave.
Dip the coconut bars in the melted chocolate.
Place in the freezer to cool, then store in the fridge.

Nutritional breakdown and what they look like is here:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=524

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Whoa! Thank-you WhitbyJet - I shall certainly be trying some of those out!

WhitbyJet

brill - you are welcome, try out the bounty bars or iced choolate recipe on the other thread, the iced chocolate is so good, just a couple slowly melting in your mouth will hit the spot!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
What an absolute godsend WhitbyJet.

I've been on an excruciating chocolate/cake restriction for nearly a year now (not that I had much of a sweet tooth) But I am concious that my husband has stopped buying any choc/cakes because I think deep down he feels guilty about eating infront of me...even though I tell him to stop being silly.

SO, I shall definitely be trying these. I was wondering, my biggest craving seems to be for chocolate brownies, I last had them last August in the U.S - would you be able to suggest a recipe?

Many thanks

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm they look yummy :D :D :D :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
WhitbyJet said:
Chocolate Balls
Ingredients:
100g butter, softened, unsalted
3 / 4 cup sweetener, Splenda or Zsweet ia good
3 tablespoons cocoa
3 cup hazelnuts
desiccated coconut

Nice. But you need to change the unsalted butter for salted butter and follow this recipe:
[youtube]ISrbjr7kyr8[/youtube]
They're full of vitamins and good for you!

WhitbyJet

Sanober - try this:

Chocolate brownies
ingredients:
300gr dark chocolate 70%
3 / 4 cup Zsweet
2 tsp vanilla powder or essence/extract
1 pinch salt
6 eggs
1 cup coarsely chopped pistachios or any other nuts of your choice

serve with
whipped cream
raspberries

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Line a brownie tin with baking paper.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it over a water bath.
Whisk together eggs, Zsweet, salt and vanilla with electric mixer, add the melted chocolate in a thin stream while whisking.
Beat until it becomes a smooth cream.
Fold nuts into batter and pour it into tin.

Bake it for 10-15 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the pan, cool it for at least an hour in the refrigerator or overnight.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=984

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Lovely! Salivating at the thought of choc brownies nom nom nom.

Thank you so much.

Forgot to ask where/how do I buy Zsweet?

Thanks

Fallenstar

WJ I could Hug ya! Infact I'm sending you a cyber hug right now! oxoxox :D

I did the Capri chocolate cake tonight -DEEEEEElicious . We all loved it and I did it with sweetened whipped double cream and a bit of Franks Diabetic ice cream. I will have a go at making some of your ice cream then I won't need Franks anymore which to be honest is quiet expensive for a small tub, it does not go far in our house :oops:

The thing I liked about this cake is it was not too sweet for me I have never been a lover of cake ,too sickly , another food I used to look at and just know how I would feel after eating it :mrgreen: Could have been the flour too :?
I will let you know how it effects my BG, I will be interested to know...cake would need a big increase in Bolus so I have been conservative with my tea time injection and I will correct later if needs be.

Thanks again WJ xx

WhitbyJet

Franks Diabetic Ice Cream? Eeeeek, full of heart clogging, inflammation causing transfats, Dextrose, Fructose and all, wouldnt touch it with a bargepole :shock:

"Skimmed Milk Powder,Vegetable Fat ,Fructose ,Maltodextrin ,Dextrose ,Emulsifier (E471) ,Stabilisers (E401, E339, E466) ,Flavouring ,Natural Colours (Cucumin, Annatto)

Home made is better, full of good wholesome ingredients, you know whats in it."

WhitbyJet

Fallenstar - apologies my above post would suggest it was a 'dig' at you - it wasnt.

I am annoyed at food manufacturers producing diabetic friendly foods that are in fact full of rubbish, from transfats to corn syrup and chemicals.
All things that are not healthy for anyone, let alone a person with diabetes.

WhitbyJet

More truffles

Marzipan truffles with chocolate coating

500 g ground almonds

250 g Zsweet or to taste/or use your preferreed choice of sweetener

2 egg whites

few drops of lemon juice

vanilla if liked

dark chocolate (at least 70%) to cover

Mix together almonds and sweetener, add egg whites, one at a time, add lemon juice. Please note you might not need the second egg white, maybe you only need half of it, you want a firm paste.Knead the paste well. It may seem a little too dry to begin with, but it soon will aoften.

Let the paste cool a little, then shape into balls. Melt dark chocolate in a bowl placed over a pan with just slightly simmering water, dont overheat! Use toothpicks to dip marzipan balls into the melted chocolate. .
Leave to cool until rhw chocolate is completely set.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... trekk.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hazelnut Chocolate

200 g dark chocolate (at least 70%)

50 g butter

1 cup cream

2 cups hazelnuts

Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl placed over a pan of slightly simmering water.. Stir in the cream until you get a smooth paste.

Add the hazelnuts and pour it all onto a tray or tin lined with baking parchment. Put in the fridge until the next day.
Cut chocolate into cubes, store in a cool place.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... ----------

Orange Truffles
(you can use other flavours instead of orange, use coffee or cognac, whiskey, any liqueur, cinnamon or even chilli)

200 g dark chocolate (at least 70%)

1 cup whipping cream

finely ground rind from 1/2 or one orange

sweetener of your choice

cocoa powder

Heat the cream and chop the chocolate, add the chocolate to the cream, do not overheat, stir until you have a very smooth mixture, there you are, you have now made ganache.

Grate the peel from an orange. Make sure you only grate the orange. If you get some of the whites you will get an unpleasant bitter taste that you do not want in your truffles. Add orange peel to the chocolate mixture and stir well. Place mixture in refrigerator for a couple hours.

Roll small balls of chocolate mixture and and then roll balls in cocoa powder. This is a really messy job (you are warned). Store covered in a cool, dry place.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... rfler.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Sunday Cake or muffins

This is the most popular cake recipe in the Norwegian low carb forum, and its easy to see why, its moist, dark and very chocolatey and easy to make. A real winner!
The recipe is for a whole cake, but you can fill the mixture into muffin cases and halve the cooking time, this would make it easier to freeze in portions.

250 grams butter
250 grams dark chocolate (I use 86%)
1 cup strong coffee
2 dl Sukrin = or use Splenda/Zsweet (taste the mixture!)
1 vanilla pod, scraped out or vanilla extract
4 eggs

Melt butter and chocolate with coffee in a saucepan over low heat. Stir the mixture smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.

Mix in Sukrin/sweetener and using a whisk beat in the eggs.

Pour the mixture into a small, round baking tin (20 cm) lined with baking parchment at the bottom. Bake on middle rack in oven at 175 degrees for 1 hour.

Cool the cake in the tin, and preferably in the fridge ovedrnight. Loosen the cake from the tin by running a sharp knife around the edge.
Especially good served with cream and raspberries.

In the photo you can see black sunday-muffins served with a warm raspberry sauce. (Heat rasperries with a tiny amount of water, add swetener).

I made the muffins last night, served with mixed berries and cream, ooohhh YUM!!
(At the time of writing Sainsburys and Tescos sell packs of frozen berries, 3 for £5)

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... unday.html

WhitbyJet

Add to the above, a recipe from a NZ forum:

Rocky Road

100g 85% Chocolate
6 tablespoons creamed coconut
75g bag pink and white sugar free marshmallows - 2.6g/100
120g roasted and salted peanuts – 9g/100

Microwave creamed coconut until it is melted enough to measure by the tablespoon, add to broken up chocolate in a microwave container, and melt until you can mix the two together, about 90 seconds.

Cut up marshmallows into 4 and roughly chop nuts, then put the nuts and marshmallows into a lined loaf tin.

Pour over the melted mixture and stir until everything is combined, and flatten the top. Set in the fridge until hard then cut into small squares.

Total carbs about 35g

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=762

Fallenstar

Thankyou WJ, They will be great for me from the Gluten free aspect....and a low carb version to have on deserts and in recipes will be great....you have just made a pretty decent day even better!!