Type 2 How much fat can you eat on the LCHF diet

Walshaw1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone advise me on the amount of fat you can actually eat?
Is it unlimited?
Also how much protein?
Thanks in advance

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots. I don't break it down, just enough so I am not hungry.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it unlimited?
Also how much protein?
Thanks in advance

It’s entirely up to you. Most people just eat enough fat so that they are satiated. If you’re just starting out, I wouldn’t complicate things. Cut out the main carbs and eat protein and fat to satiety (fatty cuts of meat are ideal if you’re a meat eater). Take a look at dietdoctor.com for meal plans, recipes and lots of details on this way of eating.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal .
Would the OP have to consider gluconeogenesis if cutting carbs and increasing protein?
I know this is a consideration for T1’s, not sure how it would affect an insulin dependent T2.

mouseee

I have just eaten my usual portions of protein, definitely more meat as I was nearly veggie but couldn't see how I could easily be veggie and make quick changes.

I increased my fat by just eating full fat versions, having butter in and on things and not worrying about things like eating crispy bacon which is a favourite of mine but I used to feel guilty ( as it's high fat!) eating.

I haven't been hungry and don't feel the need to up my fat content hugely.

I also haven't gone totally low carb. I probably eat 60- 100g a day at the moment. The carbs coming from veg and the occasional slice of high protein bread.

My hba1c has halved and I'm trying to find a balance of LC and sustainability for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auto E

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal .
Would the OP have to consider gluconeogenesis if cutting carbs and increasing protein?
I know this is a consideration for T1’s, not sure how it would affect an insulin dependent T2.

Interesting question - much debate about this. As an unmedicated type 2 I don’t find gluconeogenesis to be an issue at all - even since turning almost carnivore. One of those suck it and see things. No experience re: insulin, but it looks like the OP is on metformin only, and if that’s the case, not an issue here.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal . Apologies. The avatar for the OP is saying insulin dependent on my screen.

Looks like that forum glitch where some people see insulin dependent. On the profile page it says metformin, @Walshaw1 perhaps you could confirm what medication you take? It will assist with the responses people give you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Walshaw1 - if you aren't using insulin, I can adjust that setting for you, if that helps.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another type 2 only on metformin- I don't measure my fat intake- I freely eat cream, cheese and fatty meat. I find that as this is not my highly preferred food (carb addict here) I eat until I'm no longer hungry. I've gone very low carb- less than 20 grams of carb a day- not measuring fat and still losing weight First time in my life losing weight without counting calories in any way. I've lost about 18 kilos over nearly 6 months- not really fast but I'm happy with it.

I made a promise to myself that the first six months at least was just about blood sugar levels- so very low carbs but no limit on the fat- I lost weight anyway. I think if I really wanted to I could cut the fat a fair bit to lose more weight but at this stage not going to do that. Very low carb was enough challenge for me.

Good luck.

Hotpepper20000

I eat until I’m full as long as it doesn’t contain grains, fruit or root vegetables.
no counting or measuring.
lost 60 pounds and non diabetic numbers for three years.

Reactions: Walshaw1

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it unlimited?
Also how much protein?
Thanks in advance
A good question. I suspect I probably eat too much fat these days but I am not sure either. I eat full fat milk, butter, full fat greek yoghourt, double cream, soft cheeses, streaky bacon and nuts. I have a blood test coming up including lipids so I will see what they show.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Protein: more as one gets older. Perhaps 1.5 grams/kilo of bodyweight per day.
If our kidneys are working ok.

I don't like meat fat, it's not to my taste.
Full fat yoghurt, butter and lots of olive oil is normal for me.
D.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it unlimited?
Also how much protein?
Thanks in advance

Walshaw, I'd agree with the others who say not to complicate things overly much (unless you are in insulin or a drug like Gliclazide, which can force your blood sugars very low). Just cut back the carbs in general, then eat as you find palatable.

When I started on a lower carb lifestyle, I did just that, plus I swapped out any low fat products for full fat, but that's all. I didn't consciously eat more fat.

Later on, I had to up the protein and fats a bit more as I was already very slight and didn't want to totally disappear, but that was a after a while.

Just be mindful that each of our systems can cope with a certian amount of fats - some more than others. If I overdo my own personal fat consumption threshold I develop steatorrhea. (I won't describe what it is in detail, but I think if you experienced it, you'd want to look up the symptoms!) It's not the end of the world, but a bit unpleasant, and a sure signal I need to tweak a bit.

Take it steady. These changes don't all need to be made in one fell swoop, although that is the approach some prefer. My own changes were done on a more steady, structured basis, with tweaks along the way.

Good luck with it all.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal .
I was an insulin dependent T2 and I had to consider gluconeogenis. I have to consider it much more now I am off the insulin. As I have two Labradors too much protein isn't a problem as they are really happy to eat the excess of meat or fish that I am served with. They are so good when we go out for a meal - maybe that's the reason.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't make a point of shoveling fat down my throat, but I enjoy eating foods that contain fat, like meats, cheeses, yoghurt, nuts, pork crackle/rinds etc. Basically, high density nutrient foods. I eat more fat now days then I ever have, but it has gradually increased over time. My food choices are those I find cause the least effect on blood glucose levels and maybe even more importantly, require the least amount of insulin to deal with.

I'll also point out that I have had my gall bladder removed some years ago and function fine without it.

Walshaw1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I am taking Metformin SR 1g and injecting with victosa....which isn't insulin.
I really appreciate all of the welcomed advice that you are all giving.

Walshaw1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 53 and my kidneys are fine, so I will look at that
Protein: more as one gets older. Perhaps 1.5 grams/kilo of bodyweight per day.
If our kidneys are working ok.

I don't like meat fat, it's not to my taste.
Full fat yoghurt, butter and lots of olive oil is normal for me.
D.