Dexcom G6, Libre, and Spike

Saundie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Am planning on trying out a trial on G6. Please forgive my potentially silly questions :) Can you start a G6 from any Android phone using just xDrip+ and no other device? Can you just not bother then with having to use the DexCom app at all? Do you need to do anything other than go into settings in xDrip & pair with G6 & then just let your sensor & transmitter continue on their own until they run out? Do you get more life out of sensors and transmitters with xDrip generally? Warm thanks :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can start using xDrip+ and don't need the Dexcom app. I just use xDrip+.
If you use xDrip's own algorithm you can continue using a sensor until readings deteriorate.
Using the "Native" Dexcom values (which I usually do) has become a little less definite because Dexcom have changed the transmitter recently. Previously ticking "Preemptive Restarts" in xDrip settings meant sensors restarted almost invisibly. However with my current transmitter I had to restart the sensor manually before it was succesful. I know the developer is working on this.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
This is all very exciting for me. Our son's clinic has just started him on a G6. We have been using Libre/Miaomiao and XDrip+. So we were very disappointed with the Dexcom G6 app, and need to use something more informative like XDrip+. I have setup a new instance of nightscout, which takes the data from Dexcom's cloud.

How do you change our existing Xdrip+ so it takes readings from the G6 instead of the Dexcom?