MY DIABETIC REVIEW AND THEIR OPINIONS VS YOURS.

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Q, you were belittled by the Diabetic nurse, I am so sick and tired how the health care people treat people with Type 2 diabetes, especially when your grieving, were only human when your stressed because you lose very important people in you life you eat all the wrong foods it's NORMAL that's what I hate about diabetes it doesn't give you a break, when my mom died which is now 31/2 years ago and I am still in grieving and then my brother in law died by suicide in Oct, both are devastating to say the least. And yes I eat Peanut M&m's once in a while, yes it made my sugars go up to 6.3 and yes I gained some wieght back, my doctor didn't put two and two together that it was tremendous grief, humans eat sweets when they go through trauma. If we weren't diabetics we wouldn't get the lecture of eating wrong foods when we're going through hell. It's called comfort food, I'm still traumatized by what happened to my brother in law and now I'm getting anxiety because I know my sugars are off, and not knowing how to cope with this all it's like visious circle. Q I go to counselling, I've been going for a few years now it helps me with the trauma, but not so much with the overwhelming disease diabetes, I find there just isn't the help out there for Type 2 diabetics and all the emotional part you go through it takes a toll on my life. Right now I'm dealing with bladder issues. I am on your side, Lectures do not help, they make you feel ashamed and belittled, we did not ask for this disease. They wouldn't do this to a cancer patient, sorry but this is unexceptable, you poor guy, I sympathize whole heartedly with you losing a grandson no wonder your feeling this way. I'm the same my diet went out the window after all this tryin hard to get it back a bit by bit, but mentally I am suffering still. Hang in there and please get support for your grief, when you get through the initial shock. They say go for counselling3 months after the loss, which I was not told I was still in shock when I went.But it's different for everyone, I still in some shock from my moms passing, we didn't know she was sick. Blessings----- Sandy

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese is one of my go to things if I can't think what to eat for lunch ,large chunks of cheddar or Cheshire Red Leicester etc I found a stilton wheel at a very discounted price after Christmas and that with walnuts (and a glass of red wine ) Bliss
Carol

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply, seriously though, what award winning diet? Where can I find it on here? Kind wishes Q.
It is just the low carb diet that many here do What were you doing before to keep you BG levels down you say your HbA1c was 40 which was really good

Reactions: kitedoc

Rachiierou

I think everyone's different, I had mine removed 3 months ago and I've been in hospital since and have been told to remain on a low fat diet for around 6 months and if my symptoms don't die down within 1 year then that's it basically nothing anyone can do and it is what it is then basically. Professionals have only ever said to me it's trial and error so you eat something work out if it agrees with you if not you don't try again basically. I know people who have had no issues only to have them again years later I try stay away from doctors because they never know the answers I'm looking for I take herbal tea and oxi bile which breaks up the fat that the gallbladder once used to do but I found most of my information online because a GP wasn't really helpful. I avoid cheese and pastries sausage rolls and pasties play hell with me and pizza or garlic is a no go. I was told not to have it removed but had a sac full stones so was advised to get rid of it I think the outcome is still problems tbh there ain't many I've spoken to who have said they ain't had any after removal. I'd stick to low fat and only occasionally have something naughty my treat day is Friday I make my own stir fries and food from scratch because that way I can keep an eye on what I'm eating but I do it cause I gain weight very easily and I go to the gym 3 days a week too which I have always done tbh.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everyone's different, I had mine removed 3 months ago and I've been in hospital since and have been told to remain on a low fat diet for around 6 months and if my symptoms don't die down within 1 year then that's it basically nothing anyone can do and it is what it is then basically. Professionals have only ever said to me it's trial and error so you eat something work out if it agrees with you if not you don't try again basically. I know people who have had no issues only to have them again years later I try stay away from doctors because they never know the answers I'm looking for I take herbal tea and oxi bile which breaks up the fat that the gallbladder once used to do but I found most of my information online because a GP wasn't really helpful. I avoid cheese and pastries sausage rolls and pasties play hell with me and pizza or garlic is a no go. I was told not to have it removed but had a sac full stones so was advised to get rid of it I think the outcome is still problems tbh there ain't many I've spoken to who have said they ain't had any after removal. I'd stick to low fat and only occasionally have something naughty my treat day is Friday I make my own stir fries and food from scratch because that way I can keep an eye on what I'm eating but I do it cause I gain weight very easily and I go to the gym 3 days a week too which I have always done tbh.

I guess you are talking about gall bladder removal when you say you had "yours removed 3 months ago." Are you diabetic as well? I do hope you feel better soon, but it simply isn't the case that most people have problems with food after gall bladder removal as the liver continues to manufacture bile and the body adjusts to digest food generally just as normal. My partner (not diabetic, but falls in the pre-diabetes range) had terrible cholesystitis some years ago and her gall bladder was removed - she has really not had any problems with that operation since, eats a normal diet and avoided nothing - in fact, she was able to eat rich, fatty foods again which she was not able to do when her gall bladder had stones and was so inflamed.

Generally, low fat diets are not a great idea for many diabetics, especially Type 2's.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I did extensive research before and after having mine removed. I was terrified of side effests. Fortunately most people are fine afterwards, although some have a period of adjustment, which I think is understandable given you just lost a body organ. I honestly think for diabetics the inflammation and body wide dysfunction carbs cause combined with the adjustment to a lack of bile storage (not production!) is a factor in resisting that improvement. When I first went high fat it was too much too soon and I paid for it. Taken more slowly, allowing time for bile production to step up in a more sensible time frame all was fine.

It’s too easy to all of a sudden eat a high fat meal out of nowhere and declare you can’t deal with fat. It’s unrealistic given the circumstances, and given a propensity to believe the hype that low fat is the holy grail of diet a self fulfilling prophecy done that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw and zand

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
A lot of times we hear that carbs are essential to keep our brain functioning... Dr Keith Runyan, a low carb T1D explored this topic in his insightful blog. When we become fat adapted, we will have the enzymes needed to use fats for fuel...

https://ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wo...-diabetes-mechanisms-avoidance-and-treatment/

Below is a snippet of his observation on brain function:-
View attachment 33255

I always keep even a hyperglycemic number because all hypos make me feel as if I have a heart attack, though I do not know if it is a heart attack. I think that hypers may be safer.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always keep even a hyperglycemic number because all hypos make me feel as if I have a heart attack, though I do not know if it is a heart attack. I think that hypers may be safer.
As a rule type twos not on medication do not experience hypos, so normal numbers are possible just by allowing carb intake to reduce. These days I can go all day not eating, or even two days together on just meat and fish or seafood when I forgot to put the salad in the fridge...

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
As a rule type twos not on medication do not experience hypos, so normal numbers are possible just by allowing carb intake to reduce. These days I can go all day not eating, or even two days together on just meat and fish or seafood when I forgot to put the salad in the fridge...

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I did have the occasional problems initially at least, for example when eating mackerel. However I have been consuming much larger quantities of fat than I did before gall bladder removal and with ease.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did have the occasional problems initially at least, for example when eating mackerel. However I have been consuming much larger quantities of fat than I did before gall bladder removal and with ease.
And the key word there for me is “initially”. Allowing your (healing) body to gradually adjust to a new normal is essential.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And the key word there for me is “initially”. Allowing your (healing) body to gradually adjust to a new normal is essential.
Looking back I was apprehensive about consuming higher levels of fat, chiefly from the gall bladder perspective. But having upped the levels significantly I haven’t had the kind of problems I thought I might.

Reactions: Oldvatr