The Boxing Day food blitz!

Paulm80

So after being pretty good Christmas Day , just a potato that I normally wouldn’t of had Boxing Day went a bit to pot!
At the in-laws had a whole bar of 85% choc loads of salted nuts then......
Full roast with 4 potatoes, gravy , parsnips, stuffing, carrots , sprouts, home made sausage meat amonst other things!
Just when you thought it was over had a piece of Christmas pud with custard!
Knew this wasn’t gonna end well but it’s only one day right.
90 mins after eating 7.8
2 hours and 10 mins 7.0
So overall first time I’ve seen a 7 in a long time but that could of been worse right?
Just to clarify though now feel bloated and sick and no desire to repeat that until next year
Hope you all had a good one

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So after being pretty good Christmas Day , just a potato that I normally wouldn’t of had Boxing Day went a bit to pot!
Full roast with 4 potatoes, gravy , parsnips, stuffing, carrots , sprouts, home made sausage meat amonst other things!
90 mins after eating 7.8
2 hours and 10 mins 7.0
So overall first time I’ve seen a 7 in a long time but that could of been worse right?
Just to clarify though now feel bloated and sick and no desire to repeat that until next year
Ditto. Great day, yesterday, mostly under 6.5. Today, less good with long staying swings up to 8.5+. Rats.
Home now with LCHF only foods available apart from my presents of 7 boxes of After Eights, Reeses cups (I don't like peanuts) and two bottles of gin (I don't drink either) Well the scarf and the herb box were nice :D!!

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paulm80

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
90 mins after eating 7.8
2 hours and 10 mins 7.0
I ate one meal yesterday. I had roast turkey, sprouts, two spoons of carrot and turnip, a spoon of creamed parsnip and one roast potato. My level went from 7.6 to 13.8 at two hours then fell to 11.0 later in the day. It was 10.6 first thing this morning.
I've had turkey and sprouts today and went from 9.0 to 12.1 after two hours.
I broke my arm three weeks ago so I'm taking lots of pain killers and I have developed a cough and a temperature.
So it's back to strict low carb for me tomorrow and carry on hoping for a big reduction in my glucose levels soon (and a bit of weight loss too).
I hope that everyone else enjoyed Christmas, I feel guilty for moaning because mine wasn't bad. It's probably the effects of the codeine. X

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto. Great day, yesterday, mostly under 6.5. Today, cr ap with long staying swings up to 8.5+. Rats.
Home now with LCHF only foods available apart from my presents of 7 boxes of After Eights, Reeses cups (I don't like peanuts) and two bottles of gin (I don't drink either) Well the scarf and the herb box were nice :D!!
I received absolutely no food or drink related gifts whatsoever. I got a nice scarf too and some lovely pyjamas. That's made me feel much better. X

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
90 mins after eating 7.8
2 hours and 10 mins 7.0

I hate to bring this up, but based on what you ate, you may have had further rises later. Some fattier concoctions can result in multiple peaks.

That said: it's one day and the horse you got off await you.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I received absolutely no food or drink related gifts whatsoever. I got a nice scarf too and some lovely pyjamas. That's made me feel much better. X
I don't think my numbers were that good either. New Libre is nice and comfy but it's readin quite a bit lower than my Tee2+.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate one meal yesterday. I had roast turkey, sprouts, two spoons of carrot and turnip, a spoon of creamed parsnip and one roast potato. My level went from 7.6 to 13.8 at two hours then fell to 11.0 later in the day. It was 10.6 first thing this morning.
I've had turkey and sprouts today and went from 9.0 to 12.1 after two hours.
I broke my arm three weeks ago so I'm taking lots of pain killers and I have developed a cough and a temperature.
So it's back to strict low carb for me tomorrow and carry on hoping for a big reduction in my glucose levels soon (and a bit of weight loss too).
I hope that everyone else enjoyed Christmas, I feel guilty for moaning because mine wasn't bad. It's probably the effects of the codeine. X
I trust a good night's sleep will do you the world of good. Perhaps the bug not the food did your numbers in. Scarves are great!

Reactions: Swiggy

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done to all of you for being so 'controlled' :)

Unfortunately, my control hasn't been in your league for this period, nor for the last few weeks. I've definitely 'fallen off the wagon' and have the multiple bruises/ injuries indicating the hard landing :(

So I won't quote numbers (sometimes into double figures :( ) but I've had a rough time recently although that's not good enough reason for this behaviour, of course.

Now that Christmas is over (thank goodness - not a good time for me) I'm going to summon up the motivation to jump back on that wagon and show myself I prefer to stay up there ;)

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope it's a good year, eh? :) :) Onwards and upwards ... ??? ;)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Swiggy,

Hope you have a good nights sleep and feel better tomorrow- I agree that the bug will have contributed to your numbers and the pain you are suffering won't have helped either.

Reactions: Swiggy

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For reasons I won't go into here, we had our Christmas Day on Boxing Day.
I started out before Breakfast at 7.3, went up to 10, down to 3.8 and finished the day off nicely at 15.0! Back to a more moderate diet today!

Reactions: ert

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's once a year. Don't sweat it. ;)

absolutely. :D

it is ‘just’ a matter of climbing back on the wagon - sometimes easier said than done, of course. But one step at a time ;) (says the person who went up to 9 with a single mug of Starbucks hot choc yesterday, in an otherwise ‘saintly :angelic: ‘ day of low carbery :hilarious: )

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no Christmas pudding this year, no mince pies, no Christmas cake, no roast potatoes whatsoever. This has been a first for me and I hasten to add I have always enjoyed all of those. We spent Christmas in the Algarve. Last night’s meal was beautifully cooked steak, salmon and pork (I had some of each) with some roasted tomatoes, followed by cheese and walnuts. ( I did have a slice of cheesecake though).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas Day I had a normal Christmas dinner including roasties, carrots, peas, yorkshire pud, gravy, cauli, broccoli, sprouts. After a rest I helped myself to fruit meringue and had seconds. There were also two or three chocolates. I have no idea what my levels were (and don't want to) but I went to bed on 5.7 and woke up on 5.6. I was pretty happy about that. Boxing Day I was back to low carb but went to bed on 6.7 because I had a mince pie for supper. This morning I was 5.5. Not too shabby at all.

Back to normal eating today, but there maybe another falling off the wagon on New Years Eve.

Reactions: urbanracer

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I trust a good night's sleep will do you the world of good. Perhaps the bug not the food did your numbers in. Scarves are great!
I feel so much better after a good night's sleep thanks @Lotties. Enjoy today. X

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Swiggy,

Hope you have a good nights sleep and feel better tomorrow- I agree that the bug will have contributed to your numbers and the pain you are suffering won't have helped either.
Hi @VashtiB, I feel lots better today, still a bit higher than my usual but I'm not feeling quite so sorry for myself today. X

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to all of you for being so 'controlled' :)

Unfortunately, my control hasn't been in your league for this period, nor for the last few weeks. I've definitely 'fallen off the wagon' and have the multiple bruises/ injuries indicating the hard landing :(

So I won't quote numbers (sometimes into double figures :( ) but I've had a rough time recently although that's not good enough reason for this behaviour, of course.

Now that Christmas is over (thank goodness - not a good time for me) I'm going to summon up the motivation to jump back on that wagon and show myself I prefer to stay up there ;)

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope it's a good year, eh? :) :) Onwards and upwards ... ??? ;)
Ahh @Energize, you'll get there. You talking about bumps and bruised and hard landings made me smile, I have an actual broken arm from my hard landing and I was completely sober on my way home from the dentist. X

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh @Energize, you'll get there. You talking about bumps and bruised and hard landings made me smile, I have an actual broken arm from my hard landing and I was completely sober on my way home from the dentist. X
@Swiggy
Pleased to cause a smile but so sorry to hear you've broken your arm. So painful and very inconvenient, eh? I've had broken elbows (yes, plural, amongst other breaks) so know how painful breaks can be. I hope you're making good progress and due to be back to 'normal' very soon. {{{Hugs}}}

What did you fall from? I went over the handle bars of my (push) bike, years ago, age 15. I'm sure your 'calamity' was much more exciting ...