Newly diagnosed

Mandy2019

Everyone around me is an expert, its so confusing.
I did not realise how big a part of my daily life eating was. I feel almost in bereavement for a former life. This is the diet that will never end.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of us did. Hang on in there and breathe. You don't have to learn everything at once. Make yourself a cuppa, read around the forum and ask lots of questions. You have found the best place on the planet for friends and support.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found low carb eating long before I was diagnosed. It has always made me feel great, far more alive and energetic, optimistic and able to cope.
The constant barrage of 'carbs are healthy your way of eating is bad' has been a drag - but now I should be able to go on like this for the rast of my life I am well content.
Hopefully you can find a similar set of positives post diagnosis.

Reactions: Mandy2019

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not realise how big a part of my daily life eating was. I feel almost in bereavement for a former life. This is the diet that will never end.
Would you like to tell us some more? What kind of things are you eating, what kind of things do you miss? Are you on medication? Perhaps we can help you finding substitutes to make things better :)

As you're new, here's our info sheet for new members, it may be very helpful. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Reactions: ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I know just how you feel. It is exactly how I felt at the beginning- but (a big but) you have found the best place to learn and to receive support, advice and help.

You will be okay- it gets easier- I promise. Just think in just a few months- probably a lot shorter you will be an expert to or at least an expert in what your body can tolerate.

I understand how big a part of your life eating is. I have felt it and to be honest still feel it. However, your life will go on and you will find other ways of catching up with people and celebrating. It gets better and easier.

I am assuming you are a type 2- is that correct? The different types of diabetes have some differences so a bit more information would be helpful.

Assuming you are type 2 and no on any medication (except possibly metformin) the easiest thing to do when looking for a particular food (if you are going low carb) is to google Keto and then the food example- keto baked custard (it is delicious low carb and I find comforting)

Stick around- let us know what type of diabetes you have and any medication and you will be overwhelmed (in a good way) with help and support. Honestly the people here are wonderful.

Welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I knew a thing or two about diabetes because our cat had type 3c, which made him insulin-dependent. We'd been administering his shots for years before I got hit myself. Turns out I didn't know squat about T2, and it was a very, very steep learning curve indeed. So please, take your time, take a breath, and take it as it comes. You don't almost feel bereavement: This IS bereavement. That's perfectly normal and practically all of us went through it. That kind of comes with a literally life-changing diagnosis. It hurts, it aches, it hits us on the days we really don't want it to. (Like the holidays, which are plenty food-oriented!). Eating wasn't just a seemingly big part of your life... Think about it: Every social occasion, every celebration, every milestone, is accompanied by food. Births, birthdays, holidays, weddings, even funerals. We humans get together, and we eat. It's kind of our thing. So, yeah... Things have changed and it takes some adjustment.

That said... Yesterday, at my aunt's, we had our annual Christmas get-together of my side of the family. There were sugar free praline's for me, buckets of tea, and a cornucopia of cold cuts, smoked fish, cheeses, filled eggs and what have you.... And I ate until I practically burst. So I couldn't have the cake. *shrug* I certainly didn't miss it! And I had about, oh.... 5 or 10 grams of carbs, if that, while eating non-stop for 4 hours. After you've gotten used to this thing, and the people around you have too, they will find a way to include you. It's not all missing out and being the outsider. Again... Give it time.

Meanwhile... *hug*

Mandy2019

Hello and welcome,

I know just how you feel. It is exactly how I felt at the beginning- but (a big but) you have found the best place to learn and to receive support, advice and help.

You will be okay- it gets easier- I promise. Just think in just a few months- probably a lot shorter you will be an expert to or at least an expert in what your body can tolerate.

I understand how big a part of your life eating is. I have felt it and to be honest still feel it. However, your life will go on and you will find other ways of catching up with people and celebrating. It gets better and easier.

I am assuming you are a type 2- is that correct? The different types of diabetes have some differences so a bit more information would be helpful.

Assuming you are type 2 and no on any medication (except possibly metformin) the easiest thing to do when looking for a particular food (if you are going low carb) is to google Keto and then the food example- keto baked custard (it is delicious low carb and I find comforting)

Stick around- let us know what type of diabetes you have and any medication and you will be overwhelmed (in a good way) with help and support. Honestly the people here are wonderful.

Welcome.
Thanks. Im type 2 and on metformin. Yes this site has bern a real source of support. The good part of diabetes has been the healthy eating and dropping 2 dress sizes already.

Mandy2019

I thought I knew a thing or two about diabetes because our cat had type 3c, which made him insulin-dependent. We'd been administering his shots for years before I got hit myself. Turns out I didn't know squat about T2, and it was a very, very steep learning curve indeed. So please, take your time, take a breath, and take it as it comes. You don't almost feel bereavement: This IS bereavement. That's perfectly normal and practically all of us went through it. That kind of comes with a literally life-changing diagnosis. It hurts, it aches, it hits us on the days we really don't want it to. (Like the holidays, which are plenty food-oriented!). Eating wasn't just a seemingly big part of your life... Think about it: Every social occasion, every celebration, every milestone, is accompanied by food. Births, birthdays, holidays, weddings, even funerals. We humans get together, and we eat. It's kind of our thing. So, yeah... Things have changed and it takes some adjustment.

That said... Yesterday, at my aunt's, we had our annual Christmas get-together of my side of the family. There were sugar free praline's for me, buckets of tea, and a cornucopia of cold cuts, smoked fish, cheeses, filled eggs and what have you.... And I ate until I practically burst. So I couldn't have the cake. *shrug* I certainly didn't miss it! And I had about, oh.... 5 or 10 grams of carbs, if that, while eating non-stop for 4 hours. After you've gotten used to this thing, and the people around you have too, they will find a way to include you. It's not all missing out and being the outsider. Again... Give it time.

Meanwhile... *hug*
Thank you so much for taking the time to support me. I feel better already

Reactions: Sazla and Lotties

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Mandy.Its gonna be fine honestly....mainly because you have found this wonderful community of people who really do get it!!Stick with us.I was in exactly your position four and a half years ago and did not know what to do.Pretty quickly you will realise the good people here have got your back.Have a good look at the what have you eaten today forum and the info on role of carbohydrates in our diet as a start.
Be open and ready to throw lots of older thinking in the bin and you will be just fine.
Keep asking questions as no question is a stupid one here and knowledge really is power.
Best.

Reactions: Lotties

Mandy2019

Hello and welcome,

Welcome.
Love the keto diet idea. Thanks

Mandy2019

A lot of us did. Hang on in there and breathe. You don't have to learn everything at once. Make yourself a cuppa, read around the forum and ask lots of questions. You have found the best place on the planet for friends and support.
You're right, this forum is ace. Thsnks