Skin Tags...

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a weird one but I only recently heard that skin tags are a sign of insulin resistance. I grew a bunch around my neck during my last pregnancy and I'm wondering if anyone else who had them when diagnosed with diabetes found that they fell off if they managed to get their diabetes into remission by eating low carb, or will they only fall off if they lose their blood supply?

Ah, the joys...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have them and I’ve noticed I don’t now. No idea how or where they went but it’s since diagnosis and control being achieved

Reactions: Cocosilk

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tie a bit of sewing thread round, tightly with a good strong knot, and they fall off after a few days.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had loads around my neck before diagnosis, but they are gone now. Like @HSSS I have no clue if they fell off or just shrunk away!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting as I had loads growing under my arms. I had many surgically removed via health insurance. However that predates my highest HbA1c test in 2014 by at least 5 years.

I was thinking only the other day that they don’t grow anymore.

If they are due to insulin resistance then this supports my personal claim that diabetic symptoms of mine took root quite a number of years back, possibly 20 years back.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tie a bit of sewing thread round, tightly with a good strong knot, and they fall off after a few days.
Getting the thread on is a bit of a challenge. :D I did succeed with one or two but ultimately had them surgically removed.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting the thread on is a bit of a challenge. :D I did succeed with one or two but ultimately had them surgically removed.
Start with long bits of thread, and then cut the thread close afterwards. I must admit that some may need the help of another person.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
My obese mother was covered in skin tags, even on face and neck. She didn't have diabetes. I started getting several on the neck a few years ago and got rid of them with applying a tea tree solution three times a day for two weeks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut them off with very sharp sewing scissors. MUCH less phaff than bits of cotton. Less pain, too.

Used to grow them like weeds, all over my neck - when my IR was at its height. Far too many to pay someone else to remove at regular intervals.
They have stopped appearing now I am keto. In fact, I have none now.

Shudder to think how high my IR was during the years they kept popping up (during my ‘sort of’ low carb 20s and 30s)

ed for typo

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After every low fat high carb diet I had skin tags cut off - 'no reason for them, they just appear' I was told.
After three years on low carb not only do I have no tags, my skin is smooth and soft.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another one who had skin tags on my neck, all disappeared after going low carb three years ago. Must be something in that....... can’t think what.?!?.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had just a few tags on both sides of my neck prior to being diagnosed six years back. They only appeared when I was getting older, suffering from "old age spread" and eating rather too many carbs. They've definitely disappeared since I've been low carbing, but I noticed in the last few weeks a couple have grown back - one was a bit painful and has now disappeared again. Their appearance seems to have coincided with me having had a longish spell of feeling poorly and stressed, having very high blood pressure again, and somewhat higher than my usual glucose levels. I think in general mine probably shrunk away as I've got some little moley type blemishes where they were previously. (I don't think they fell off due to lack of blood at all since supply to my neck has been fine due to no-one yet attempting to strangle me... o_O)

ETA I'm glad you started this thread @Cocosilk as I was debating about starting one, due to the reappearance of mine.