Monitor advice please

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 diet controlled, but I can't get monitoring strips from doc anymore, I know my sugar is high cos my eyes get blurry and feet burn..... I've not had good results with Code free, so I want to buy a good monitor, any recommendations please.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MAGGYNHERKY . Firstly you may want to change or decide what you are telling the forum about yourself.
You say you are type 2 diet controlled. Everywhere else you appear to be type 2 insulin dependent and taking metformin.
Not that any of this matters regarding blood monitors.
You say you have not had good results with the code free. What are you comparing the results from the code free alongside?

Reactions: MAGGYNHERKY

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal !

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found itto be becoming less and less reliable, although I hear reliability may have improved now. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MAGGYNHERKY . Firstly you may want to change or decide what you are telling the forum about yourself.
You say you are type 2 diet controlled. Everywhere else you appear to be type 2 insulin dependent and taking metformin.
Not that any of this matters regarding blood monitors.
You say you have not had good results with the code free. What are you comparing the results from the code free alongside?
I've never had insulin in my life! I was on Metformin initially but am now diet controlled only, thanks to being careful with my carbs and testing my blood.

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never had insulin in my life! I was on Metformin initially but am now diet controlled only, thanks to being careful with my carbs and testing my blood.
I have been using My Life Pura which the doc gave me, but because I am so well controlled they won't give me any more strips! I found Code free was giving me results 2 thingy below the My Life and the Accu Chek I had before, so if it was 6, Code free said it was 4.........I threw the Codefree monitor away, and use the My Life.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well might I suggest that you contact a moderator and have your avatar and profile information changed. You appear to be an insulin dependent on the forum. This may cause you issues going forward with regard to information given.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well might I suggest that you contact a moderator and have your avatar and profile information changed. You appear to be an insulin dependent on the forum. This may cause you issues going forward with regard to information given.

This looks like the forum glitch again - I don’t see @MAGGYNHERKY as insulin dependent. Tagging @DCUKMod who I think can help.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MAGGYNHERKY if you go into your profile you will find when selecting your diabetes type, there are two type 2s to select. They look the same but one ends up labelling you as Insulin Dependent. If you could click the other type 2 that should resolve the issue of some people seeing insulin dependent.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've looked on my profile and I don't see 'insulin dependant' or 'Banghead' lol
Banghead wasn’t a reference to your good self. :). Frustration at what appears to be a techno glitch......again.
Hopefully you’ll find a meter that you have more confidence in.

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Banghead wasn’t a reference to your good self. :). Frustration at what appears to be a techno glitch......again.
Hopefully you’ll find a meter that you have more confidence in.
Aaaah.... Thought that was my name on my profile haha